Eeek! Saw the Engine Management light!!

Started by ad_car_08, August 24, 2009, 11:32

ad_car_08

Driving to work this morning, following some doddery old folk doing 20 in a 30 zone....my engine management light illuminates..EEEEEEK!!

My car is completely standard (bar the mk iii pipe which was fitted last Oct time) NON import and I've never had a problem with it before, so far as the engine management light illuminating anyway, so I'm hoping it's just the MAF sensor telling me its feeling a little grubby. I've not cleaned it for a few months.

I'm due to take a 240 mile round trip to pick my girlfriend up from Luton airport tomorrow night, so I'm on a mission to get this fixed tonight after work otherwise it's curtains for me!

I know it's hard to say over the internet without seeing my car or without reading the error code, but if cleaning the MAF sensor (and removing the battery terminal for 15mins) doesn't turn the engine management light off, what else can I look at to eliminate the problem?
I'll have a look now at who is the nearest contact with a code reader, but I'm pretty sure there's no one close  s:( :( s:(

Any pearls of wisdom?....please?!

(I'm from Telford, Shropshire by the way!)
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

SimonC_Here

It will clear the light, wether it comes back or not, no one can say.

And Sean (slacey) lives in Telford

ad_car_08

Brilliant, thanks.

Fingers crossed the MAF sensor clean will sort it!
[/size]

roger

A £25 code reader of Ebay is something that everybody should think about having in their car / garage. That is if you are the sort of person that wants to come on here and discuss it - rather than one who immediately goes to MrT and forks out ~ £50 to be told by them!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

uktotty

Quote from: "roger"A £25 code reader of Ebay is something that everybody should think about having in their car / garage. That is if you are the sort of person that wants to come on here and discuss it - rather than one who immediately goes to MrT and forks out ~ £50 to be told by them!
MrT  read my code when I first got the car and had a panic, no charge, great service so maybe get them to have a look first.

ad_car_08

Quote from: "roger"A £25 code reader of Ebay is something that everybody should think about having in their car / garage. That is if you are the sort of person that wants to come on here and discuss it - rather than one who immediately goes to MrT and forks out ~ £50 to be told by them!

Really? I thought they cost more than that!

-----

Just looked on ebay -  m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-OBDII-F ... 286.c0.m14 m
 Will that do the job? Are all/most manufacturers ports the same? I.e. Can you use fault code readers for VW, Ford, Audi, Toyota... or do you have to buy a specific one for each?

Thanks for your help
[/size]

uktotty

The clue is in the name (UNIVERSAL)
All ODBII are the same format (with the exception of Japanese imports.)

roger

Can't see why that one shouldn't be OK. They seem to be quite popular now, but in the "early" days the U480 was the one of choice.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

ad_car_08

Quote from: "uktotty"The clue is in the name (UNIVERSAL)

s:| :| s:|  ...yeah thanks smart arse...(UNIVERSAL) could mean universal across a particular manufacturers car models rather than across all manufacturers which is what I was trying to clear up   s:| :| s:|  

Thanks for the clarification, I'll pop it on my shopping list. It's not nice having to guess why the light has come on   s:( :( s:(
[/size]

philster_d

Dont guess then. A nearby member will read your clode and can clear it for you, possibly tell you the last few errors as well.

Then you can buy them a pint or an orange juice and make friends   s:) :) s:)

Phil

ad_car_08

*Update* After cleaning the MAF sensor and leaving the battery terminal off for half hour while oggling the Hollyoaks tasties, the engine management light has now remained off.

I must've just got a little lapse on my MAF cleaning!
[/size]

ad_car_08

Blummin light's come on again...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[/size]

markiii

and teh code is?

drum roll:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ad_car_08

Quote from: "markiii"and the code is?

drum roll:

Just looking on ebay so i can get myself a code reader.
Seems abit strange that it was 24hrs after filling up on petrol...again...and I was following some excruciatingly slow driver...again

My friends Leon Fr needs to be goosed every now and again to clear it through, otherwise he gets a little light on the dash....couldnt be anything similar could it, or am I clutching at straws?
[/size]

Wabbitkilla

You are clutching at straws, read the code  s:? :? s:?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

I just got myself one of these,works pretty well.
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1412wt_939 m

ad_car_08

sorry to be a pain, what's the difference between the U280, the U380 & the U480? other than the price   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[/size]

Anonymous

I think it might be the connectors on the end,the u380 is the one for us.

ad_car_08

Quote from: "roger"Can't see why that one shouldn't be OK. They seem to be quite popular now, but in the "early" days the U480 was the one of choice.

oh, but roger mentioned the U480 was the one of choice in the early days? .....I'm confused  s:? :? s:?
[/size]

Anonymous

Yes, but in Rogers early days the wheels of choice were made of stone.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

ad_car_08

Thanks for your advice guys, have just bought this item  m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0480787730 m    

hope it's the right one!   s:? :? s:?
[/size]

ad_car_08

Do these error code readers come with a booklet to decifer what the code means, or can a library of codes be found on here?
[/size]

markiii

there just might be one in the library
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

DannyN

no, never, I dont belive you........
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

ad_car_08

Quote from: "markiii"there just might be one in the library
cool, thanks for confirming that for me
[/size]

Tags: