Eeek! Saw the Engine Management light!!

Started by ad_car_08, August 24, 2009, 11:32

E

Thats the same as my reader and it works fine and it also comes with a booklet containing the codes.

ad_car_08

Quote from: "E"Thats the same as my reader and it works fine and it also comes with a booklet containing the codes.

Ah good, that's reassuring that someone has the same code reader! Itching for it to arrive now....light is still illuminated....  s:( :( s:(
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

roger

Quote from: "ad_car_08"
Quote from: "roger"Can't see why that one shouldn't be OK. They seem to be quite popular now, but in the "early" days the U480 was the one of choice.

oh, but roger mentioned the U480 was the one of choice in the early days? .....I'm confused  s:? :? s:?

Sorry, checked mine and it was U380. Looking at specs on Ebay, you get a few more things with the (newer) U480, and a CAN standard, whatever that may be.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Wabbitkilla

In my efforts to find a reader for JDM spec cars i bought one of these;
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-diagnostic-Sc ... 286.c0.m14 m

Now it is more expensive than many of the little code readers, but it is very quick, needs no batteries and does live readouts of data. You can also build a customised view and graugh any of the sensors / feeds from the ecu.

Delivery was 3 or 4 days and VERY well packaged... i like it   s:D :D s:D  

But it doesn't read the Jap spec cars   s:( :( s:(
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ad_car_08

I noticed that when I got home and had a poke around, the engine bay was a lot hotter than usual. The temp gauge was still reading halfway in the cockpit though?! The code reader should (fingers crossed) be arriving tomorrow to hopefully give me some answers!
[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"In my efforts to find a reader for JDM spec cars i bought one of these;
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-diagnostic-Sc ... 286.c0.m14 m

Now it is more expensive than many of the little code readers, but it is very quick, needs no batteries and does live readouts of data. You can also build a customised view and graugh any of the sensors / feeds from the ecu.

Delivery was 3 or 4 days and VERY well packaged... i like it   s:D :D s:D  

But it doesn't read the Jap spec cars   s:( :( s:(

and having borrowed it at the treasure  hunt I can terstify its a very nice bit of kit
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ad_car_08

OK, just a quick update - the code reader still hasn't arrived unfortunately, but....

...light has been on since Wednesday...
...drove to work this morning, light was on...
...drove to the local town to get lunch, light was on...
...drove home, light was on..
...drove  to my parents house, light suddenly wasn't on anymore?!

How come that's happened?! I didn't do anything?!   s:o :o s:o  

Does that mean that if the code reader comes tomorrow, there wont be an error code to read now the engine management light has gone out??
[/size]

muffdan

the code could be pending, in which case you will be able to read it. I bet it'll come back at some point though anyway.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

ad_car_08

Hi! FINALLY received my OBD2 code reader and hooked it up to my car - its throwing up the code P0141 - O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2) - so I'm just off to attack the search function to see how to fix it!!
[/size]

ad_car_08

Looks like I'm looking for a new 02 sensor from CES for £60, is that right??
[/size]

ad_car_08

....anyone??......please?!
[/size]

ad_car_08

I really can't find an o2 sensor replacement, for love nor money! Universal ones are 10 a penny, but i've read that unless you start fiddling with resistors etc it can throw up an engine management light because of the wrong voltage.
[/size]

inert2k3

Ive never had this problem myself, but maybe if you get in touch with Chris from CTP, he may be able to source 02 sensors?

Mohammed   s:D :D s:D
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

Wabbitkilla

You have been looking here
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19412 l
haven't you?

It's really hard to find a reliable supply of sensors that are more competitively priced than MrT. When someone stumbles over a good supplier i think they'll be inundated with orders.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

nathanMR2

I had to order mine from the states in the end. Cost £60 for a denso one. However i got stung on the import duty when it got here it was another £10-£20 on top. It was still cheaper than any from over here.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

ad_car_08

Where from Nathan?
[/size]

nathanMR2

Quote from: "ad_car_08"Where from Nathan?

m http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php m

Make sure you that the import duty into account. Also they do a few different types, dont go for a cheapo one, it wont do you any favours. You can get them with and without the plug at the end (or you have to splice the wires together from your old plug.

Have you got a sensor socket?

Puerco

I had a similar engine management light problem on my 2001 Jap model. It was a faulty O2 sensor - the secondary one, which doesn't cause the ecu to make any adjustments.  My garage, hoping to save me some pennies, ordered after market Bosch sensors, 3 in all, none of which worked.

While awaiting the correct part from Toyota, I did an 800 mile round trip, without any problem (apart from a yellow light on the dash)
The Toyota part, now fitted and light out, cost £85 plus VAT - little more than the aftermarket ones.  So, on this occasion, Mr T was the best bet.

If the primary sensor fails, it does totally confuse the ecu.  It also costs £180 plus VAT.

ad_car_08

So the local Mr T really is the place to go for one of these then
[/size]

Anonymous

I bought a post cat O2 sensor from  m http://onlineautomotive.co.uk m  Pricier than the universal ones but I think slightly cheaper than MR T. Plug n play worked fine.

ad_car_08

Just called into my local (telford) mr T to ask for a price on an o2 sensor...£165 + VAT!!!!
[/size]

nathanMR2

Quote from: "ad_car_08"Just called into my local (telford) mr T to ask for a price on an o2 sensor...£165 + VAT!!!!

You might be able to get one from CTP (cheap toyota parts) for around £130 i think last time i checked. The states is the way to go mate

ad_car_08

Even at £130, that seems flammin' ridiculous for the part I need....  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I presume that as i'm seeing the P0141 code (bank 1 sensor 2), that I'm looking at replacing one of the O2 sensors that I can see sticking out of the exhaust manifold when I look into my engine bay? (anyone know which on's sensor 1 and which one's sensor 2?) £160+ for one of those blighters seems a tad extreme!!

Thanks for the advice nathan, american it is!
[/size]

Wabbitkilla

Noooo!

P0141 refers to the heater circuit of the post-cat O2 sensor.
Thats the one you can't see looking in the engine bay, it's underneath after the catalytic converter.
A common fault and the sensor has a longer lead than the other two so is a different part number.

wbarrwebster

Hi,

If you want to stay "local" you can pick one up from Ignition Parts in South Ockington, Essex for about £95.

B
W. B. Webster

Tags: