engine rattle

Started by diddy, August 26, 2009, 19:13

diddy

hi
just purchased an mrs and been told the rattle was a hydrolic tappet but the noise on appears when the car is warm and throttle pressed down about 2 inches, it doesnt rattle at idle.

It sounds like its coming from the drivers side rear and sounds like a chain urrrr urrrr every time i put my foot down then it will stop but start again around 60mph.

checked under bonnet and everything is secure manifold etc

also the car idles at about 1000 revs or just over and when warm drops to 500 near stalling point is this anything to do with the above or just turn the nut to increase revs.

the car has done 39,000 2000 model but i got no service history, a mate is going to take it away do a full service and try and identify the noise.

any ideas where to start apart from the timing chain?

inert2k3

Your strange idle could mean that you need to clean your MAF. Just search 'clean maf' in the search box and tons of handy info should come up. Im sure someone more knowledgable will be along to help you with your rattle

Mohammed   s:D :D s:D
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

E

The rattle sounds to me to be the timing chain or tensioner or both. the tick over could quite well be as Mo suggests the maff needing a good clean.

diddy

even if it doesnt do it on the rare occasion?

Anonymous

Have you checked your oil level?

diddy

yes level is fine done an oil change at the weekend and the spark plugs have been changed also.

Tem

Quote from: "diddy"been told the rattle was a hydrolic tappet

There are no hydraulic tappets in our engine.  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "diddy"been told the rattle was a hydrolic tappet

There are no hydraulic tappets in our engine.  s;) ;) s;)

Who told you that, the seller?

Wabbitkilla

Who ever told you it's a hydraulic tappet was ignorant or lieing.

It does just sound like it might be the chain tensioner though.
Keep an eye on your oil level though please.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

diddy

so the mrs dont have hydrolic tappets? i was told there were 16 of them lol and yes by the seller.

aaronjb

No. The Roadster has solid lifters which are manufactured in a variety of thicknesses.  If those are causing a tapping noise then you have to strip the head down, measure the tolerances, order new lifters and replace as necessary:  m http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2000_T ... _1302.html m

It's still more likely it's the chain tensioner, or if it's more of a 'diesel knock' at low RPM as you strain the engine, the belt tensioner (there was a recall on those), or if it's a light rattle that changes as load is applied/removed it could be the little end bearings on the conrods, a loud knock under light load probably big end bearings on the conrods.  I think that covers most of the common 'rattles'.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Wabbitkilla

Or the bottle of Bud in the luggage bins   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

aaronjb

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Or the bottle of Bud in the luggage bins   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

You say that.. but it took me a while to work out that the big 'clunk' behind my head was, in fact, the metal chock in the bin behind me  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

diddy

its getting looked at next week, today its getting the pre cats removed.

Anonymous

So you purchased a second hand car with an engine rattle? Mmmm, wonder if that was why it was up for sale.

Ilogik

Sounds like exhaust heatshield engine rattle, get someone to poke around and press it with a stick. Had it go on mine, some spot weld later no more rattle.  Sounds worse than it probably is.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

markiii

Quote from: "Ilogik"Sounds like exhaust heatshield engine rattle, get someone to poke around and press it with a stick. Had it go on mine, some spot weld later no more rattle.  Sounds worse than it probably is.

I agree check teh cat heatshield first (hangs head in shame  :-) :-) :-) )
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Oops I forgot about that one too - though it's a very distinctive and (in my case at least) loud as hell rattle as you apply power to move off from a start at lowish RPM, I never heard it any other time.

diddy

but wouldnt it rattle like this from cold? checked the top heat sheild in the engine bay and very secure, its coming from the top right of engine defo sounds like a chain or something like that everytime when the car is warm and foot down about 2 inches it starts press foot further down then it goes again then starts again with your foot down a little further.

How easy is it to inspect the timing chain just for a heads up on price?

anyone in the suffolk area lol

Anonymous

Timing chain inspection is a big job. You need to pull the side casing from the engine (remove RHS engine mount, altenator, water pump, crank pulley). You can pull the cam cover to get a close look at the cam sprockets and chain but that won't show much unless badly worn. Most wear occurs on the crank sprocket because it is half the size of the cam sprockets. You need to pull the side cover to get a look at that.

Does the rattle sounds metallic (clanking spanners together) or does it sound 'hard' (diesel engine). Does it vary dependant on engine load?

onion86

Quote from: "diddy"but wouldnt it rattle like this from cold? checked the top heat sheild in the engine bay and very secure, its coming from the top right of engine defo sounds like a chain or something like that everytime when the car is warm and foot down about 2 inches it starts press foot further down then it goes again then starts again with your foot down a little further.

My cat heatshield only rattled at 2.5k revs and only when it was warm. I ripped it off in the end and it went away  s:) :) s:)  If you knock it with your fist it will make the similar noise (if it is that) very metallicy. Is it in any gear whenever the throttle is pressed down '2 inches' or is it at a certain rpm? The part that rattles is shown here. This is however more central.

From the first post and it coming from the back right of the car, I thought it sounded like the timing chain, but E beat me to it.

I'll be back home in Ipswich, but not until October 17th  s:P :P s:P
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Ilogik

Quote from: "diddy"but wouldnt it rattle like this from cold? checked the top heat sheild in the engine bay and very secure, its coming from the top right of engine defo sounds like a chain or something like that everytime when the car is warm and foot down about 2 inches it starts press foot further down then it goes again then starts again with your foot down a little further.

Thats what mine was like *cat heatshield*  Used to do it more when warm.  Maybe something to do with the heat.  Before paying a bit bill, just check the shields.

diddy

i have checked this it seems secure enough but will take it off and see if it helps, process of elimination i supose.

yes happens every gear when hot.

diddy

it doesnt change due to load, its like a machine gun sound.

Ilogik

Quote from: "diddy"i have checked this it seems secure enough but will take it off and see if it helps, process of elimination i supose.

yes happens every gear when hot.

there is two heat shields, one is internal to the other i think, this one due to vibration breaks, I found this when I was searching for my rattle, popped to Rogue, was fixed shortly after further investigation get underneath it.

Will see if I can grab a pic of where mine was for you. Do you have someone you could stick under the car whilst you rev it.

Tags: