engine rattle

Started by diddy, August 26, 2009, 19:13

diddy

it doesnt happen when stationary only when on the move and warm.

Ilogik

Quote from: "diddy"it doesnt happen when stationary only when on the move and warm.

So nothing when you rev  it hard, hmm im lost now lol.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

diddy

no nothing when reved hard.

Anonymous

Hey mate, I know what your talking about - I have exactly the same problem but I think it sounds more like running along a wooden fence with a stick making the rattle when the accel is down bout 2 inches. My mr2 is with Toyota so will let you  know wat the outcome is. Cheers

diddy

cheers mate would be nice to know mine is being looked at on the 8th, it does sound a bit like a diesel when it happens, i removed pre cats the other day and they where all fully intact not any sighns of deterioration so i can rule that out, could this be something to do with the chain tensioner as it only happens when at operating temprature, does the chain tensioner work on oil preasure?

Ilogik

Quote from: "diddy"cheers mate would be nice to know mine is being looked at on the 8th, it does sound a bit like a diesel when it happens, i removed pre cats the other day and they where all fully intact not any sighns of deterioration so i can rule that out, could this be something to do with the chain tensioner as it only happens when at operating temprature, does the chain tensioner work on oil preasure?

Where are you located? Take it to Rogue if near the midlands.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

diddy

Quote from: "Yakiniku"Hey mate, I know what your talking about - I have exactly the same problem but I think it sounds more like running along a wooden fence with a stick making the rattle when the accel is down about 2 inches. My mr2 is with Toyota so will let you  know wat the outcome is. Cheers

is yours the same only when warm and going not static?

diddy

well i can know confirm its the timing chain as it went on me tonight costing me £212 for recovery!!

Not sure of the damage yet as the car still starts.

what parts do you think will need replacing? not sure if its of the tensioner or snapped yet.

Anonymous

Did you buy this from a garage, or privately?

aaronjb

If the car still starts, why do you think the chain 'went'?  If the chain had snapped then nothing would be turning the cams around - the engine wouldn't run at all..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Wabbitkilla

Erm, if the engine turns and runs, then it aint the chain!

But if the serpentine belt has gone, then it's an easy fix and pretty inexpensive.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

diddy

with the sound it made im sure its the chain not sure if its snapped or very loose, all i heard was a massive noise like a chain on a bike with knacked sprockets.
defo came from the timing chain housing where i was getting the rattle from.

diddy

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Erm, if the engine turns and runs, then it aint the chain!

But if the serpentine belt has gone, then it's an easy fix and pretty inexpensive.

Is this belt visable, as i looked at all my belt and all were intact and i doubt a rubber belt would make that noise it sounded like a a metel chain getting thrashed around the housing.

Wabbitkilla

But it still runs?

Going back to Ste's engine, it sounded like there was physical contact between pistons and something else.
Turned out the chain had stretched so much the cam chain tensioner couldn't take up the slack anymore.
The engine still ticked over fine but when pushed it would sound nasty. Mind that engine did have over 100,000 miles on it.

If that is the problem on its own then likely changing the chain will remedy it, this can be done in the car.
It's extremely dificult for the chain to jump so hopefully no valves are affected.

Whereabouts are you located btw?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

diddy

the chain has been rattling after i excuded all the heat sheilds as a posible cause, yes aa man said to start it i didnt want to try before incase more damage was caused he said i may be lucky, i rekon it was stretch to the point of coming off and now its off.

do you think a replacment kit is recomended or change just the tensioner if this is the cause?

im in lowestoft suffolk

Wabbitkilla

OK, it's really unlikely to be the chain stretched at your mileage ... IF that is the real mileage.

The tensioner is relatively inexpensive to buy and replace, especially for an experienced mechanic.
So that would be MY first attempt at a fix, but again it's extremely unusual for one to fail completely.

Mind this is assuming you haven't been sold a dud ... considering the seller told you it was a noisy hydraulic tappet in the first place there can be doubt there.

diddy

all the millage backs up from the old mot certificates i have about 5 years worth.

when you start it it makes a horrible sound from the timing housing!!

could it be the timing gears?

Tem

Quote from: "diddy"could it be?

It could be anything. Just open it up and stop starting it.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

diddy

well an update on the car had it looked at and been told its the oil pump, and the oil pick up pipe was clogged badly.
will a new oil pump and a cleaned out pick up pipe sort it?

what do you think was the cause of this in the first place?

looking back at old mots the car was only doing 4000 miles a year could this be the cause?

i dont want to get the new pump and find it is going to do the same a few months down the line any ideas on why this has happened?

Wabbitkilla

Well that's a rare thing to happen.

My guess is that with the low mileage it hasn't been getting its oil changed enough.
Also if the drives have been short then the engine hasn't been allowed to warm up enough to get any cack out of the oil.

The only thing you can do is try ... replace the pump and get the garage to do a full oil flush, get some decent fully synth oil in there and see how it goes.

diddy

do you think fully synthetic is best?

so there is no other mechanical fault that could cause this?

Wabbitkilla

Fully synthetic is what is recommended by Toyota .... peple have used lesser oils but i'd go with Toyotas recommendation.
And NOT Magnetec!!!

Was there any emulsion or white in the oil? Like mayonaise - that would suggest coolant getting into the oil.

There could be many many reasons why it's ended up the way it is now, all you can do is go through sensible steps till there's nothing wrong.
There may well be nothing more wrong with the car or the engine and it's just poor maintenance which has got you into the position you are in now.

So I would recommend a good service, oil flush, new oil filter, decent oil, probably new air filter, clean the maf, change the plugs, reset the ECU .... maybe i'd be going over the tom or maybe it's just what it needs.

When i bought my car it was 3 years old with under 4000 miles on the clock and i've never had a problem (i haven't caused myself   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) but never with what Toyota have put on the car   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

diddy

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Fully synthetic is what is recommended by Toyota .... peple have used lesser oils but i'd go with Toyotas recommendation.
And NOT Magnetec!!!

Was there any emulsion or white in the oil? Like mayonaise - that would suggest coolant getting into the oil.

There could be many many reasons why it's ended up the way it is now, all you can do is go through sensible steps till there's nothing wrong.
There may well be nothing more wrong with the car or the engine and it's just poor maintenance which has got you into the position you are in now.

So I would recommend a good service, oil flush, new oil filter, decent oil, probably new air filter, clean the maf, change the plugs, reset the ECU .... maybe i'd be going over the tom or maybe it's just what it needs.

When i bought my car it was 3 years old with under 4000 miles on the clock and i've never had a problem (i haven't caused myself   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) but never with what Toyota have put on the car   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

i only bought the car 2 weeks ago and have done all of the above engine flush,new oil,new filter, new plugs,new air filter, cleaned maf and gutted pre cats but tbh i did buy the car with this prob being told it was a tappet doh.
do you think any long term damage has been caused?

Wabbitkilla

You've taken sensible precautions, i think only time will tell.

It is pretty unusual for an oil pump to go, but as long as the chain and timing haven't been damaged by it you should be fine. And yes, that could have been the noise all along ... until it's back together and running you won't know.

It's not entirely confidence building having a problem like this so early on in ownership but the way i look at it is this may be the only problem you ever experience with the car. It's getting well cared for now so that's all you can be certain of.

diddy

well another update it turns out on further inspection the engine is buggered.

the 4th spark plug was totally mashed, 2 of the injectors were smashed and the a few of the valves were miles to high, the mechanic says it will need a new cylinder head but says its cheaper for a new engine, what do you think guys?

Tags: