engine rattle

Started by diddy, August 26, 2009, 19:13

Anonymous

Quote from: "nelix"Did you buy this from a garage, or privately?

diddy

it was bought from a garage in london but as i got it £500 cheaper he said and write on the sale invoice no warrenty sold as seen with all faults.

Anonymous

Quote from: "diddy"it was bought from a garage in london but as i got it £500 cheaper he said and write on the sale invoice no warrenty sold as seen with all faults.

So you bought a car, with a noisy engine and no warranty from a garage?

I truly doubt, past or present, if there will ever be a member of this forum with a more apt username.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

A reconditioned engine is going to set you back £800 to £1000, plus fitting.

Wabbitkilla

Oh dear .... what Nelix said!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

diddy

Quote from: "nelix"
Quote from: "diddy"it was bought from a garage in london but as i got it £500 cheaper he said and write on the sale invoice no warrenty sold as seen with all faults.

I truly doubt, past or present, if there will ever be a member of this forum with a more apt username.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

less of the sarcastic please nelix you prick.

Ilogik

Risk you took I guess, Great time to fit a 2zz.

Speak to Rogue.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Wabbitkilla

Looks just because the 2zz is out there doesn't mean everyone wants to fit one, and not everyone wants to rush off and give money to Rogue no matter how good a job they do.

If you want to replace like for like then it's best to find someone who sells recon units with a warranty.
Fleabay regularly has some examples ... but i don't know the reputation of the sellers ... warning these are replacement units ... you have to have one to send back. Which in your case i guess isn't a problem.

Nelix is correct with pricing, do your research into the reliability of sellers and you'll be fine.
I've not heard of garages selling without warranty - to take that away for getting £500 off would make me think seriously about walking away from the deal.
But what's done is done and now you need to deal with the aftermath.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Anonymous

Quote from: "diddy"
Quote from: "nelix"

less of the sarcastic please nelix you prick.

I think you will find it is sarcasm, not sarcastic.

diddy

i just got one for £650 inc delivery with 40,000 miles on it which isnt far off my old one with 39,000

Wabbitkilla

Good stuff ... you'll have to keep us updated with progress and if satisfied let us know the supplier and if you recommend them.

diddy

once its all fitted will be stripping the old engine of the good parts and posting them up to see if anyone is interested.

Anonymous

Quote from: "diddy"once its all fitted will be stripping the old engine of the good parts and posting them up to see if anyone is interested.

Ooooooo can i have the bent valves and mashed sparkplugs? and remember its sarcasm and Knobhead as prick does'nt do justice.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

Wabbitkilla

[MOD]Oh dear do i have to step in as moderator and ask you to stay on topic and cut the beating up please? Now play nice EVERYONE! [/MOD]

markiii

£500 discount, for a dodgy engine and no warranty? i think you got off lightly so far

you'd have to be anidiot
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

muffdan

Lesson learned the hard way unfortunately. I really feel for you there buddy, you must be feeling like crud at the moment and the last thing you need is a verbal kicking whilst you're down and busy emptying your wallet. £650 for an engine with 40k on delivered ain't a bad price at all, hopefully you can get a good price on the fitting too.

Please don't let the negative remarks of some scare you away from the rest of us, we don't all bite!

On the bright(ish) side, as you saved £500 on the price of the car you're technically only £150 down at the moment!

Let us know how the replacement goes.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

diddy

yes not to bad i supose, a mate of mine is fitting it so shouldnt be that bad.

Ilogik

Quote from: "diddy"yes not to bad i supose, a mate of mine is fitting it so shouldnt be that bad.

Just make sure he fits it properly, heard to many a sob story of average joe mechanic fettling with an MR layout engined car and not putting it back together properly. Not sure how easy mk3's are to mk2's but has to be same sort of set up.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

spit

Mk3 is quite intuitive and a tad easier than the Mk2 in terms of access. Biggest issue we've come across seems to be forgotten earth straps which can lead to oddities like misfire codes.

Oh, and its useful to clamp off the two main coolant hoses as bleeding to the front of the car can be a pain after the install.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

muffdan

Quote from: "spit"Oh, and its useful to clamp off the two main coolant hoses as bleeding to the front of the car is a massive pain after the install.

fixed that for you Ste.  s:) :) s:)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

diddy

thanks for the advice guys, any other need to know info before this engine goes in, im hoping for trouble free motoring after this lol so would rather get anything that might need changing changed now whilst the engine is out.

muffdan

do you know what year car did the engine came from?
Jason

diddy

not yet need to phone them at 9, says it will fit years 2000/2005.

markiii

clamp the goses under teh nose that go to teh heater matrix as well

getting air out is nigh on impossible

also reccomend clutch and flywheel whilst you have teh box off, and replace teh throw out bearing
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

Can't remember if you've removed the pre-cats... get them out while you're at it and make sure the manifold is fully clean afterwards   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

diddy

its off a 2002 model.

Tags: