engine rattle

Started by diddy, August 26, 2009, 19:13

muffdan

2002 probably means it may suffer from oval bore, but as the precats are gone and if you keep on top of the oil level checks, there's no reason why you shouldn't break the 100k+ miles barrier with it.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

diddy

yes told them to take the manifold off before sending so i can fit my old manifold which has the pre cats gutted.

my would this suffer from oval bore with 40,000 on the clock? i take it pre cats cause this?

markiii

pre 03 engine have teh old piston ring design so are more susceptible

that said, no year us immune
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

diddy

it comes with a full 3 month warrenty but even so thats really no good once engine is fully fitted.

Ilogik

If its under warranty, once fitted drive it and get it compression tested, will give you some idea of its life.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

markiii

trouble is once you paid teh labour to fit it, are you going to take it out again?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

muffdan

The oval bores and precats thing is like chicken and egg. From the information presented, I personally think the problem is that the bores oval due to a piston design fault allowing the engine to burn more oil. The burnt oil promptly destroys the precats which then promptly destroy the bores and the engine. Once the precats fail, your engine is pretty much toast within 10 miles if that.

Bascially with the precats gone you're left with an engine that burns oil. The oval bore does no other harm as long as you make sure it's topped up. Obviously it slowely gets worse to the point where the amount of oil being burned is just too excessive and you need a new engine.

Les has a 51 plate with plenty of miles on it and it uses no oil what so ever so not all engines suffer from it. The precat removal is a nice cheap insurance policy.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

diddy

well touch wood all will be good, once up and running will check oil level every other day. on average how often do you top up? i believe i read somewhere on here that 1lr every 1000 miles is what toyota say? that seems very exsessive oil comsuption.

muffdan

I believe Toyota claim 1 litre every 600 miles is acceptable   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I check mine once a week. It depends on the engine, some you need to check more often than others. Depends if and how quickly you're burning it.
Jason

Ilogik

I check my oil daily, no harm in checking, just check a couple of times, the dipstick is a load of shit and can confuse you weather its half full or full, one side tells you one thing the other another.

Get some fully synthetic in there to, Silkolean pro is nice oil 5w-40, and whilst your at it replace gear box with mt go.

markiii

you have an mt go instead of a gearbox?

Ilogik

Quote from: "markiii"you have an mt go instead of a gearbox?

Whoops, multi tasking! use MT 90.

markiii

he means as the gearbox oil not in place of teh gearbox (just for clarity  :-) :-) :-) )

diddy

yes already have some redline mt 90 and going to use mobile 1 0-40 fs.

markiii

I'd avoid 0w anything as imho its too thin for teh roadsters engine, especially one with unknown history

stick with a 10w40

ChrisGB

Quote from: "diddy"well another update it turns out on further inspection the engine is buggered.

the 4th spark plug was totally mashed, 2 of the injectors were smashed and the a few of the valves were miles to high, the mechanic says it will need a new cylinder head but says its cheaper for a new engine, what do you think guys?

Mashed plug could be from bent valve, 2 injectors smashed could only happen if the engine has been hit against something when the head was taken off, valves too high? Possible valve to piston contact again I suppose.

Injectors don't get damaged when engine fails usually.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

hey there diddy im in the same boat m8, my cars currently with toyota, engine developed same noise as yours, unfortuanatley new engine, totaling at £2278.00 fitted absolutely gutted oh well guess it will be like having a brand new car whoop whoop!! ha

muffdan

Quote from: "deathdealeruk5"hey there diddy Im in the same boat m8, my cars currently with toyota, engine developed same noise as yours, unfortuanatley new engine, totaling at £2278.00 fitted absolutely gutted oh well guess it will be like having a brand new car whoop whoop!! ha

Are you sure that's not a rebuild using 'new' pistons etc? A new short block runs between 3k and 4k whilst a whole new engine runs between 7k and 8k from Mr T. At least it did 4 years ago.

If it is a rebuild, find out what they're doing about possible bore damage. If the engine uses oil once it's repaired, it'll be because the bores are ovaled and the rings haven't been able to seal properly.

Safest and cheapest bet in these circumstances is to just replace the engine with a 2nd hand one.
Jason

markiii

and make sure they are replacing teh main cat (which at that price I pretty much know they won't be)

they also need to eitehr replace the manifold with precats or clean out whats left of them prior to assembly (again I know they aren't replacing it that price as the manifold costs £680 at Toyota dealer prices)

muffdan

agreed, that price can't include new cats. Mr T charge around £1200 for a new main cat and £700 for the precat manifold. Decline the offer of a new manifold, get hold of your old one and make sure its properly gutted before you give it them back.
Jason

diddy

well i pick my car up tomorrow new engine fitted well a engine with 40,000 on the clock and ready to go, i made sure my gutted manifold was fitted back on so i know there will be no issues there, and it was a snapped valve what caused it.

so engine was £650 and £200 to fit aswell as new gear box oil so not that bad providing im trouble free with the new engine.

muffdan

that is a very good price, assuming there's no further issues. Hope you can now get to enjoy the car.
Jason

diddy

ive only done about 20 miles in the car and now noticed a slight rattle when car is up to temprature in 4th and 5th gear at 2 and a quater revs.

please tell me this cant have anything to do with the new engine installed?

E

Not much to go on there but a rattle at those revs sounds very much like a heat shield try revving from in the engine compartment or have some one else rev it and track it, actually if it only happens when the engine is up to temp I would say the cat heat shield is prime suspect.

diddy

it only happens when the car is moving as well, tryed reving when stationary but nothing only when on the move.

Tags: