Windscreen creaking/squeaking when softop/hardtop down

Started by vatovey, September 16, 2009, 09:50

vatovey

Morning all,

Due to the recent nice weather, I have used my MR2 with the hard-top off, and soft-top down, all good.... except for one problem, when driving along - and I happen to go over a bump in the road (which is very common on the roads of S.Wales) it sounds very much like the windscreen or surrounding support structure is creaking/squeaking, it doesn't sound right, is there anything obvious I can check ?

When the hard-top or soft-top are in place - there is no creaking/squeaking sound.

Cheers, Vaughn.

wbarrwebster

Hi,

I'm no expert and I'm  sure someone more qualified than me will be along.
Meantime, I can confirm that as a 2 seater convertible the car suffers from a certain amount of scuttle and shake. I have a pre facelift which I've fitted the Cusco mid brace, the lower rear brace, rear mount brace and front top brace just to make her a bit tighter!
The hardtop "pulls it together" more and deadens a lot of the scuttle!

Hope this helps.

B
W. B. Webster

roger

I would go with that as well. You will probably either have to live with it or get some bracing.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Liz

Yep, welcome to the world of MR2 Roadster ownership - it squeaks and rattles. Will give my normal advice - just turn the radio up, stop listening to rattles and enjoy driving it!  s:D :D s:D
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Ease your mind, there is not a problem with your car. No, the problem is with everyone's  s:( :( s:(
I can confirm, that went I test drove mine, and on the drive home after purchase, I was extremely happy and thought the MR2 was like my old boxster, only slower.
Turns out after removing the hard top, and dropping the roof, it's actually not quite as stiff  s:( :( s:(  
Rattles/squeaks are something you can get used to though, and it doesn't really make the car sloppy, not at all, still drives extremely well for a "cheap" sports car. I forgive it anyway!

Alan

roger

If you can't live with it, or intend to add more power / handling what you need is a Corky's midship member brace (MSMB).

I've got it 4 corners + the middle (solid as a rock) but you might have to import via Spyderchat, or wherever he hangs out now. Somebody might know.
Roger

vatovey

I'm happy to live with it, it sounds a bit like what I'd imagine a 1920's car to be like   s:D :D s:D  

I was hoping it was something simple like the pillar bolts being loose or something similar.

I have no plans for add power, I'm happy as it is...  just gotta try and fix the small little problems such as the rattle.

Cheers for the replies... n if anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know.

roger

Actually just remembered, Toyota issued a sheet about eliminating rattles (one was from the dashboard) when the car was first made. What year is yours? Are they coming from there?

I'm sure I have it at home, so if this sounds the problem PM me your email and I'll send tomorrow.
Roger

vatovey

Hi Roger,

Car is W reg (2000) - and yes, sound does seem to be coming from the dashboard area, if you find the pdf file would be much appreciated if you could forward it on to  e mailto:vatovey@gmail.com">vatovey@gmail.com e

Cheers, Vaughn.

Gif

You haven't by any chance got a Cusco front brace fitted already?

I noticed when I fitted mine that it's very close to the structural members of the bonnet and am pretty sure it makes contact and squeaks like a demented mouse sometimes.
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

vatovey

Am not sure if truth be told, I've only had the car 5-6 weeks and not really faffed around with it to much as there's very little wrong with it (touch wood !!!!!).

If I had to guess, I would say no - as by the looks of things, the previous owners looked after it extremely well, had full inspections every year since it was made, everything I have seen on the car does look standard.

Am going to try and re-create the sound on the weekend by putting pressure on the windscreen pillar, hopefully that way I can try and find out where the wretched noise is coming from.

wbarrwebster

Hi,

Reading your mail again, I do remember there was a feature on Spyderchat, where someone actually highlighted the early squeak internal issues and illustrated how to get rid of them.

Suggest you check out/ search on Spyderchat.

B
W. B. Webster

vatovey

just been looking on spyderchat, can't find much relating to it   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

wbarrwebster

Hi,

Check out Spydermagazine.com, there are a few back issue articles that you may find of interest.

B
W. B. Webster

vatovey

i just checked out that website, doesn't seem much relating to my windscreen squeak, i think i'm going to have to investigate and try and fix the problem myself, doesn't seem a whole lot about it on the webby  s:( :( s:(

vatovey

apologies for digging up an old thread, but as I have resolved this problem I thought I would share the fix.

It was the sun-visor, the screws were extremely loose allowing the sun-visor mechanism to move around and make a creaking noise, after tightening the screws - all was quiet  s:) :) s:)

Mad Matt

Had exactly that problem about a week ago and hadn't got round to creating a thread as I felt a little silly. I found it quite hard to pinpoint the source of the sound but the screws were very loose and once lightly tightened the noise was gone. I then tightened the wind break screws and the cabin is calm once again.

I couldn't believe how difficult I found it to pinpoint where the noise was coming from as despite my age my hearing is supposedly very good (can't hear the wife but I'm told that's normal).

Tags: