What's this i hear about a new SP turbo kit?? ;-)

Started by andywood, September 17, 2009, 20:51

andywood

Maybe i should just be patient and wait for the official announcement, but i saw on another post that Matt has some new turbo kit solutions under development.
Anyone know anymore about this other than what was on the post, or do we all just have to wait and see??
If i go turbo then i only really want a relatively plug-and-play system and the TTEs are just toooooo expensive, this could be what i have been waiting for  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Andy
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

ChrisHumes

Ditto mate, see if he will do a 2 for 1 deal on it and I'm there!

DannyN

ha !

bet you it aint cheap and its not trouble free
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

andywood

Quote from: "DannyN"ha !

Was never going to be cheap, but why do you think it is unlikely to be trouble free?? Those guys have the experience with the TTEs and they have their own car to develop it on as well........?

andywood

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"Ditto mate, see if he will do a 2 for 1 deal on it and I'm there!

Was thinking more 'Poundland' pricing...............   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

muffdan

If it was something that I said in the other thread, I didn't mean to let anything out of the bag. Sorry Matt   s:? :? s:?  

But to speculate on the possibility of this being true:

Concerning quality, I'm sure it would be as reliable if not more so than the TTET kit. The SP240 package has been as reliable and that replaces the TTET piggyback chip for a Unichip. This proves that mapping isn't going to be an issue. Matt is very aware of the weaknesses of the TTET kit such as which brackets tend to break etc and can therefore address them. With a nice cast manifold and sensible boost levels, I don't see there being a problem with reliability and it can be just and fit and forget as the TTET and the SP240 package.

Price wise, the TTET kit is very expensive. I'm guessing this could be part of the reason for developing a custom kit and therefore it is probably going to be cheaper than the TTET kit; Otherwise there'd be no point developing it.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Silverstone Performance

OK, how much would you like to bet??????  s:D :D s:D

andywood

Quote from: "Silverstone Performance"

OK, how much would you like to bet??????  s:D :D s:D

Stop teasing...........   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

ChrisHumes

£2500 fitted and warranty!

lemans

At that price we will be fighting to get through their door!!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

shuttsies

ill take 2

s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Currently have: ASBO ORANGE FOCUS ST-3 bring on the hate \";)\"

ChrisHumes

sorry guys, when i said £2500, i though he was asking how much would we like to pay, not how much would we like to bet!

andywood

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"sorry guys, when i said £2500, i though he was asking how much would we like to pay, not how much would we like to bet!

I bet £2500 that it won't be fitted and warranty for £2500   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

ChrisHumes

give us an update on this silverstone?? dates, expected prices, power........the more you tease the more people will want!

MattPerformance

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"give us an update on this silverstone?? dates, expected prices, power........the more you tease the more people will want!

Well, I'll start by saying that I won't bet £2500 that it'll be £2500 fitted and warranted!!

The car is now running and is being mapped early next week - this will take a little while as there's a bit of development for variuous maps (to include plug-and-play options for DIY installations), but it can't take too long as I'm taking the car to Spa next weekend with a load of TVRs (alas my TVR is not going to be ready but I'm hoping, if my driving's up to it, I might give them a run for their money around the track).  The kit will use the same tried and tested formula of the TTE kit including the identical turbo.  It will have a good warranty.

Rather than simply wheel out "the same old '2" with a different kit that, technically speaking, does the same job as the last one, I've decided to re-invent the car somewhat.  The SP-Racer is scheduled to be born (officially) on my return from Spa - primarily because I want to be completely happy with every element of the car, and its claimed performance, before I announce it officially.  An MR2 Roadster is vastly superior to an Elise in terms of running costs, reliability and practicality (and the Elise boot isn't much to write home about either!) but doesn't have the means to beat it on the track... whereas the MR2 SP-Racer will do just that!  Track day fun is the future for performance cars and a well sorted MR2 is probably the best package available to deliver there as well as on the road and as an everyday comfortable car.

There are no firm prices being published for the turbo kit yet but it will be available in kit form as well as drive-in-drive-out.  The basic kit of parts, without an ECU solution (i.e. if you already have a Unichip, PFC..etc) will be sub-£3500 but I have work to do on the cat solution which will determine how close to £3k I can get it.

I will however be offering one kit at a special drive-in-drive-out price because I want to do an installation manual so rather than strip and rebuild my own car I figured I can use a customer's car - I'll just need an extra few days for the conversion to allow me to take pics and write notes etc.

Has that whetted your appetite enough Chris?!   s:D :D s:D

WillsSayers

Quote from: "MattPerformance"I will however be offering one kit at a special drive-in-drive-out price

Make it a fiver and I'll buy a second MR2 just for the occassion  s;) ;) s;)

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

ChrisHumes

cheers matt, excellent!

put me down as first dibs on the one off price!!

lemans

Hi Matt

Any news on the development of this new kit?  I have a standard 56 reg MR2 with 12k miles.  I am considering a turbo to improve performance but want to ensure it  remains very reliable and is pretty much "fit and forget"   The car is not in daily use but will be used for weekends away and trips to Europe etc.  I am only looking for a modest boost in performance and don't want to spend a fortune on upgraded bracing/clutch/exhaust etc etc.

Regards
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

Gif

Quote from: "lemans"Hi Matt

Any news on the development of this new kit?  I have a standard 56 reg MR2 with 12k miles.  I am considering a turbo to improve performance but want to ensure it  remains very reliable and is pretty much "fit and forget"   The car is not in daily use but will be used for weekends away and trips to Europe etc.  I am only looking for a modest boost in performance and don't want to spend a fortune on upgraded bracing/clutch/exhaust etc etc.

Regards

+1 if the price is right then I will be looking at this option on an 04 reg car with 11k miles.  Don't want it for track, just to get rid of the wheezy response when using the HRF.  It's getting irksome that my diesel 1 Series puts it to shame.
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

MattPerformance

Hi Guys
The kit is basically ready.  Signed off and racking up the miles on road and on track, and believe me, it's good!
I'm just waiting on feedback from the powers that be on ROC before making a formal announcement.  I'm also doing a few things behind the scenes with component suppliers and working to put together an installation manual for DIY customers.

The new SP Turbo kit will be available in two packages. 1) A kit of hardware (no ECU solution or injectors) for customers who have already, or prefer to source their own mapping and fuelling solutions and can fit it themselves or by someone local. 2) A kit which includes the hardware, injectors and ECU kit with a plug and play map (either as a DIY kit or as a drive-in-drive out package).  The plug and play ECU is intended to deliver safe levels of output (circa 200bhp) without the need for custom mapping.  Custom mapping will be available and, when combined with a boost controller, can deliver another 40 or so bhp.

The point that is being raise about the clutch is interesting and one that I have considered.  Essentially, it could be possible to wind back the boost slightly to cap the torque level so as not to overwhelm the clutch. This can be done, but to avoid losing power and torque up the rev range you'd really need to run a boost controller and have the car custom mapped. The cost of doing this (when compared to simply buying the plug and play 200bhp kit - which will, like the TTE kit it is designed to replace, take the stock clutch to and sometimes beyond its limit) will make a big contribution to uprating the clutch.  Replacing the clutch has its merits since it will be a good invesment for future tuning potential.  On the other hand, having a boost controller will also be a good investment for future tuning so there really is no clear winner in this choice.  By and large most '2s now have done a fair amount of miles so a clutch replacement is probably on the horizon so an upgrade is a less onerous proposition.

In terms of "fit and forget" and "low maintenance" - this is absolutely the name of the SP Turbo game.  If you go for a drive-in-drive out package you get a 2 yr 40k mile warranty (12 months for DIY kits). But, it is not the terms of the warranty that should impress, rather the provenance of the formula, TTE, and the fact that we know these kits so well (warts and all... so we know what to improve  s;) ;) s;)  ).

Originally the decision was made to bring this kit to market because TTE announced that their kit was being discontinued.  In fact it isn't, but the current price is very high (so high that we are not offering it at all any more - if a UK customer wanted one it would cost £8000 fitted).

If you e-mail me at  e mailto:info@silverstoneperformance.co.uk">info@silverstoneperformance.co.uk e  I will forward the Press Release which has more detail and full pricing.  I can also send you a dyno of the SP demo car so you get an idea of what to expect and what can be achieved.

The SP demo car is available for test drives to interested parties.  Expect some track events to follow...  s:D :D s:D

muffdan

I will vouch for the finished article, it certainly put a smile on my face when I drove the demo car! There's a track day at Bedford in December  s:D :D s:D
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

andywood

Thanks for all the further info Matt, definitely sounds interesting!

Why did you decide to go for higher flow injectors in the package?? Surely this adds more cost, also the TTE kit does not include any injector change and i believe is good for up to 200bhp?
My guess is that the injector upgrade allows a bit more flexibility for the end-user and allows scope for future tweaking.
For those that would be interested in a very similar kit to the TTE and the power of 190ish it produces, will there be a version without the injector upgrade?

Thanks

Andy

Ilogik

Quote from: "andywood"Thanks for all the further info Matt, definitely sounds interesting!

Why did you decide to go for higher flow injectors in the package?? Surely this adds more cost, also the TTE kit does not include any injector change and i believe is good for up to 200bhp?
My guess is that the injector upgrade allows a bit more flexibility for the end-user and allows scope for future tweaking.
For those that would be interested in a very similar kit to the TTE and the power of 190ish it produces, will there be a version without the injector upgrade?

Thanks

Andy

Bog standard tte kit is good for 185,  pre injectors I was maxing them out at 189. Some dyno's may give better readings than others. Even when I asked tte direct about there power levels reply was

Thanks for your e-mail. Our kit is designed for 184 HP.
Maximum power we achieve at 6400 RPM and maximum torque at 3370 RPM.
Boost pressure is at around 0,35 bar.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

MattPerformance

Quote from: "andywood"Thanks for all the further info Matt, definitely sounds interesting!

Thanks

Andy

Of course the package can be taken as a hardware kit only in which case customers can specify their own injectors (or not) and map the car to suit.  The dilemma we have is that we don't use a pre-cat (there is no need for an aftermarket kit - TTE used one because their kit had to meet all Toyota standards for new cars) plus we use a much better intercooler and a high flow induction system -  all of which makes the system much better flowing therefore with the standard boost level the injectors can't keep up.
Certainly the injector upgrade predisposes the car for future tuning but to avoid the need for bigger injectors requires the boost to be reduced which then needs a boost controller to stop too much boost drop off at high revs to retain torque/ driveability in that range.  Boost controller adds cost and requires custom mapping which also adds cost - both outweigh the cost of the injectors.  Also, we only plan to have a single "plug and play" ECU programme (to have more will add cost which we are trying to control to keep the price down) which is under development to deliver the circa 200bhp.  If there is demand for an injector-less map without boost controller (which would probably also safeguard the clutch, but there would be a trade-off on mid-range torque and top end performance) then we'd be happy to consider it. To give you an indication, removing the injectors would reduce the price by around £300 and I estimate reduce power by around 25bhp and torque by around 35ftlb.

One other point, which admittedly does not really apply to later cars (say <30k miles/ 2/3 yrs), is that all too often injectors are overlooked when tuning cars in the "aftermarket".  By fitting brand new injectors we are guaranteed to have good fuelling and consistent (and safe) results.

Thanks for your input and please keep it coming with the questions!
Cheers
Matt

andywood

One more from me Matt......

Is the quoted target of 200bhp assume standard CAT and exhaust set-up or something more free-flowing??
The kit hardware will only change the manifold so i assume that the CAT-back set-up will be as already on the car?

Thanks

Andy

Tags: