What's this i hear about a new SP turbo kit?? ;-)

Started by andywood, September 17, 2009, 20:51

MattPerformance

Quote from: "andywood"One more from me Matt......

Is the quoted target of 200bhp assume standard CAT and exhaust set-up or something more free-flowing??
The kit hardware will only change the manifold so i assume that the CAT-back set-up will be as already on the car?

Thanks

Andy

The kit comes with a flexi adaptor (requires welding) to enable the stock cat to work with the kit (the back box is unaffected).  This is the assumption for the circa 200bhp output.  To get to 230-250 you need a boost controller, more free flowing exhaust and a custom map.
Matt.

Ilogik

Did you get the injectors mate?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

MattPerformance

Quote from: "Ilogik"Did you get the injectors mate?
Yes, thanks.

Rogue

Quote from: "MattPerformance"Rather than simply wheel out "the same old '2" with a different kit that, technically speaking, does the same job as the last one, I've decided to re-invent the car somewhat.  The SP-Racer is scheduled to be born (officially) on my return from Spa - primarily because I want to be completely happy with every element of the car, and its claimed performance, before I announce it officially.

A racer eh? Any chance of you actually racing it...?

m http://www.mr2supergt.com/ m

s;) ;) s;)

MattPerformance

Quote from: "Rogue"
Quote from: "MattPerformance"Rather than simply wheel out "the same old '2" with a different kit that, technically speaking, does the same job as the last one, I've decided to re-invent the car somewhat.  The SP-Racer is scheduled to be born (officially) on my return from Spa - primarily because I want to be completely happy with every element of the car, and its claimed performance, before I announce it officially.

A racer eh? Any chance of you actually racing it...?

m http://www.mr2supergt.com/ m

s;) ;) s;)

Don't think I haven't considered!  I've had a good read through the regulations and it would be fairly straightforward to comply but for the time being I'd like to keep the car as a road car.  Perhaps once we've sold a few kits we'll be able to afford it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   But I certainly haven't ruled it out...
Meanwhile, I'll stick to track days and beating up 911's and Lotus Exiges   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

ChrisHumes

Hi Matt

Just checking you got my email. Have you had may interested parties yet?

cheers

chris

lemans

Quote from: "lemans"Hi Matt

I am only looking for a modest boost in performance and don't want to spend a fortune on upgraded bracing/clutch/exhaust etc etc.

Regards

......that was before I tried Matt's car and now I want more more more.......  I am going for the extras rather than settle for (only?) 200 horses....

I will do a write up in January when I have played with my new toy.

.....I wonder how long it will be before I want 300........?
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

muffdan

The car is an absolutely epic drive isn't it.   s:D :D s:D   I want those brakes!

So you're joining the boost club then, I'll give you at least a year before you want 300!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

lemans

Quote from: "muffdan"So you're joining the boost club then, I'll give you at least a year before you want 300!

That long......?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

muffdan

yeah, you'll be satisfied with what you're getting for a good while!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

lemans

Quote from: "muffdan"yeah, you'll be satisfied with what you're getting for a good while!

My wife and wallet will be very glad to hear that......  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
Daryl

lemans

Quote from: "muffdan"yeah, you'll be satisfied with what you're getting for a good while!

My wife and wallet will be very glad to hear that......  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
Daryl

andywood

Has anyone actually got one of the new SP kits yet and able to provide any feedback......??

......still trying to convince myself   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

MattPerformance

Quote from: "andywood"Has anyone actually got one of the new SP kits yet and able to provide any feedback......??

Andy.

Yeah, I have... it's ace!!!

Andy, YHM  s:) :) s:)  (well you will have shortly)

muffdan

I've put a couple of hundred miles on Matt's car. It is really nice and very fast.

Easily better than the TTE kit. Spools up really fast and pulls hard through the full rev range. Torque is there from low down too and delivered very comfortably to the road making it proper fast in the twisties. If anyone wants a turbo kit, you can't go wrong with this one! It has all the good bits of the TTE (cast manifold, negligible lag, low boost threshold, reliability, bolt and forget) and non of the bad bits (dodgy water pipes, small intercooler, weak brackets, lack of top end grunt).

I wouldn't take the clutch though, it's really quite harsh and noisy. An ACT one is much better!   s:D :D s:D
Jason

andywood

Quote from: "muffdan"I've put a couple of hundred miles on Matt's car. It is really nice and very fast.

Easily better than the TTE kit. Spools up really fast and pulls hard through the full rev range. Torque is there from low down too and delivered very comfortably to the road making it proper fast in the twisties. If anyone wants a turbo kit, you can't go wrong with this one! It has all the good bits of the TTE (cast manifold, negligible lag, low boost threshold, reliability, bolt and forget) and non of the bad bits (dodgy water pipes, small intercooler, weak brackets, lack of top end grunt).

I wouldn't take the clutch though, it's really quite harsh and noisy. An ACT one is much better!   s:D :D s:D

You tease,..........stop it!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

[Are you on commission or something??  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ]

Andy.

andywood

Quote from: "MattPerformance"
Quote from: "andywood"Has anyone actually got one of the new SP kits yet and able to provide any feedback......??

Andy.

Yeah, I have... it's ace!!!

Andy, YHM  s:) :) s:)  (well you will have shortly)

Nothing received yet!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

muffdan

Lol, I wish! It's just a very good car. I've driven (or pax ridden) probably all the of the common off the shelf turbo kits available apart from the Top Secret and I think this one's the best all round thus far. It's definitely not the fastest I've driven in a straight line, but the way it smoothly and predictably delivers its torque is as close to an NA delivery as you are going to get and that makes it phenomemal coming out of corners. I'd go as far as saying Matt's car is more fun to drive than my own   s:( :( s:(  

Don't take my word for it, you should pop along some time and take a test drive. I'm sure Matt won't mind  s:) :) s:)
Jason

andywood

Quote from: "muffdan"Lol, I wish! It's just a very good car. I've driven (or pax ridden) probably all the of the common off the shelf turbo kits available apart from the Top Secret and I think this one's the best all round thus far. It's definitely not the fastest I've driven in a straight line, but the way it smoothly and predictably delivers its torque is as close to an NA delivery as you are going to get and that makes it phenomemal coming out of corners. I'd go as far as saying Matt's car is more fun to drive than my own   s:( :( s:(  

Don't take my word for it, you should pop along some time and take a test drive. I'm sure Matt won't mind  s:) :) s:)

Seriously, you have got to stop now as you are going to severely harm my bank balance (unless Matt does buy-now-pay-2015!)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
All good comments though and much appreciated in my very flawed decision making process!! Had convinced myself to not go down this route a couple of months ago but the thought will not leave my head and i am fearing the inevitable.......

muffdan

The worst thing about your situation is the indecision! The best thing you can do is drive a turbo'd '2. It'll either completely put you off, or sell you on it 100%. Problem solved either way!
Jason

mrzwei

Quote from: "muffdan"The worst thing about your situation is the indecision!
Reminds me of the wife, spends half an hour in Matilan deciding what to buy and comes back to the first thing she looked at   s:D :D s:D  
 I was thinking about turbo but got worried about my ability to drive it; it's quick now and easy to lose in adverse circumstances so I continue to 'indecide'  (wrote off an mgf).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

lemans

Mine is being converted "as we speak"  I drove Matt's car and apart from those awesome brakes and the on/off clutch  it felt just like driving a NA car  (and from having a lot more go!!!).

I was particularly interested to find it felt equally at home tootling around town as well as blasting along country lanes.  (I have a big Ducati which can be quite tiring around town and at low (legal?) speeds!)

Also, I have gone for a more gentile clutch.  I can't wait to get my car back in the New Year.  I will do  a write up in due course (once Matt has signed the commission contract I am drafting  s:D :D s:D    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   )
Daryl

andywood

Quote from: "lemans"Mine is being converted "as we speak"  I drove Matt's car and apart from those awesome brakes and the on/off clutch  it felt just like driving a NA car  (and from having a lot more go!!!).

I was particularly interested to find it felt equally at home tootling around town as well as blasting along country lanes.  (I have a big Ducati which can be quite tiring around town and at low (legal?) speeds!)

Also, I have gone for a more gentile clutch.  I can't wait to get my car back in the New Year.  I will do  a write up in due course (once Matt has signed the commission contract I am drafting  s:D :D s:D    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   )

What kit did you go for? The 200bhp-ish or the 240bhp-ish with re-mapping etc...?
Also, what was your clutch choice then??

Thanks

Andy

lemans

Andy

I went for the "full" package with Helix clutch which I am told is very similar to the standard clutch. I don't think I could live with the a racing clutch on a daily basis!

So I am getting close to 240 horses with mapping etc.  

....and I am getting very excited......I just hope I can still drive with just one arm and one leg  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

It's a good job I have an understanding wife  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Daryl

andywood

Daryl

Would be interested to know how things have been now that you have been running the new SP kit for some time?
I had parked the idea for a little while some time ago due to job change/loose change etc.... but am keen to keep up to date with this kit as expect it to be back in sight again sometime soon!

Thanks

Andy.

Tags: