What's this i hear about a new SP turbo kit?? ;-)

Started by andywood, September 17, 2009, 20:51

stargazer30

same boat here, seriously considering going this route so updates would be good  :-) :-) :-)
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

lemans

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Matt  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

lemans

On a more serious note!

I am a very happy bunny.  I had my facelift 2 in standard trim for two years before going turbo.  So I feel I knew its limitations and what was missing for me.

SP's turbo has quite simply transformed my car into something very special.  It now has the performance to match the handling and I have a big grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel. The acceleration is awesome and it pulls like a train up to an indicated 130 at least. (my bottle went at this point!). So far I have no problems with the braking or handling with the extra 100 horses and all the extra torques.  I also love the fact that the car is still as easy going and drivable when I have to drive like a granny around town etc.

The conversion also suits me because the car looks completely standard from outside (apart from a twin exit exhaust - which looks so much better than the original single exit anyway). The engine bay looks really tidy and everything is tucked away nicely.  At first glance under the hood you could actually miss the fact that the car has a turbo and related gear in there.  

The only downside is days like today when I look out the window and see the rain pouring down and realise I won't be going for a drive in it today!  I am a fair weather biker/car owner!  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

I would be very happy to let anyone from the club who is interested in SP's work to have a look at my car.

Regards
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

andywood

Hi Daryl

What is the full spec of what you went for in the end to get those results?
I am assuming:

High output SP turbo package
Uprated Helix clutch
Custom mapping option??
De-cat or sports cat??
SP twin exhaust or another type??

Is the custom mapping essential with the higher output or is this just for taking it from the 'standard' 230bhp up to somthing closer to 240bhp?

Thanks

Andy
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

andywood

....oh yeah, forgot to ask, not the biggest factor considering initial outlay, but do you know what mpg you are getting with the turbo kit on (general/normal driving conditions of course  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )?

Cheers

Andy.

lemans

Hi Andy

I went for the "full Monty" i.e. bigger injectors, uprated clutch, SP exhaust, sports cat and custom mapping. I believe the custom mapping gets the extra few BHP and torques but more important ensures a smooth torque delivery throughout the rev range.

It's early days on the fuel consumption, but my average over the first three fill ups was 32mpg as opposed to 33mpg before the turbo. Not sure why the fuel consumption has not dropped more. Maybe it will in time as I drive it harder!  

Regards
Daryl

andywood

Cheers Daryl

If i go for it i think i will probably retain the std CAT and my TTE twin exhaust, not sure how much that would bring down the figures or if it would still therefore make sense going for the high output package or not.

I think the lower output package targets 200bhp and assumes use of std CAT/exhaust. I can only assume that with the higher output kit and retaining the std CAT/exhaust i will be somewhere between the 200 and your figures, although i guess it is the torque number that may suffer more with more restrictions in the exhaust set-up   s:? :? s:?  

Andy.

stargazer30

Andy you won't get far past 200bhp with the standard cat its too restrictive.  The difference between the 200 and 240 package is just the hi flow cat and boost controller I believe.  I'm sure Matt will correct me if I'm wrong.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

muffdan

Yeah, no point going for a higher boost with a standard cat in place. It will just put more stress on the engine. I wouldn't be surprised if a de-cat or sports cat isn't a prerequisite for the higher output package. The SP exhaust system was a prerequisite for the SP240 package.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

stargazer30

Quote from: "muffdan"Yeah, no point going for a higher boost with a standard cat in place. It will just put more stress on the engine. I wouldn't be surprised if a de-cat or sports cat isn't a prerequisite for the higher output package. The SP exhaust system was a prerequisite for the SP240 package.

Yes I agree, as if you look at the prices on Matt's site, its only an extra £300 between the 200 and 240bhp packages.  That's the boost controller I bet.  But in order to get the 240 you need a high flow cat, sports exhaust, and a sports clutch which is not included in that price.

stargazer30

Update: Mines in for the 200bhp package as I type.  WIll post up once I get it back next week   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

ChrisHumes

stargazer, wheres matts site? i couldnt find prices on SP webpage, could you post up the link

muffdan

Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

firepower

200 bhp sp package good choice   s:) :) s:)   you may soon feel that you want more power but you won't need any the car's performance will be transformed
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Tags: