4th and 5th gear rattle

Started by diddy, September 20, 2009, 19:30

diddy

well as you may know ive just had a new engine fitted (2nd hand) and done about 20miles in it and when the car is up to temprature there is a slight rattle in 4th and 5th gear at 2 1/4 revs?

im certain this cant be another engine problem if it is i must be very unlucky, could this be gearbox related or could this be something that hasnt been tighened properly when the new engine was fitted?

could there be something that is causing my engines to keep buggering up?

Anonymous

Check your heat shields especially the one at the bottom that pokes through the nappy.

diddy

heat sheilds all seem to be fine, had a good look under nothing seems to be loose and it only happens in 4th and 5th at 2 1/4 revs then it goes.

Anonymous

What happens when you dip the clutch but keep the revs the same?Could be gearbox bearings which are a common problem and an expensive fix.

diddy

will give that a go tomorrow, what should happen? its not a consistent rattle though as soon as its over 2 and a quater revs it goes.

Anonymous

Well if you keep revs same as you disengage gears and noise goes away that tells you its probably something to do with the gearbox with bearings being prime suspect.

diddy

well had the car jacked from the rear both wheels off the ground and no noise what so ever in any of the gears, so it only does it with all 4 wheels on the ground, so looks like nothing to worry about and i supose its on of those things, the noise isnt anything major i just wanted it checked out so i dont do any damage.

any other thoughts?

Tags: