Hoop roll bars??

Started by Anonymous, September 21, 2009, 21:51

Anonymous

Hey, does anyone know if Toyota has actually made the 'hoop' roll bars for the roadster at all? Just think their better looking than the original bar that just goes across lol. Also, having roll bars, are they really that safe in an accident? Thanks   s:D :D s:D

aaronjb

Nope - Toyota only ever made the 'coat rack' style bar (don't be offended anyone, I have one  s:) :) s:) ).. Netz, Davids and Frenzy are the makes of 'hooped' bars (all slightly different, but if you use those search words you'll turn 'em up).

As for safety.. they're 'style bars' not roll bars - in a roll over it's entirely possible that they'll 'fold' over - if they fold forwards you can kiss your head goodbye, if they fold backwards then you're lucky..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Oh dear lol Well, is there any good looking bars about that can be made customly to be safe, like specifically for an accident e.c.t? If so, where could I go, or am I talking 'in an ideal world' lol

Anonymous

Are you planning on tracking the car? If not there is really no need for a roll bar.

Anonymous

Link to netz install and pics on car,

l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=18155 l

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "nelix"If not there is really no need for a roll bar.

Unless you roll your car, then it might come in handy  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

JudoKilli

I've always wondered though, if you do somehow manage to roll the car, would the windscreen pillars (A-pillars I think they're meant to be called) hold the weight, thus saving the heads of short arses like me?

Anonymous

Yes, we have seen pics of rolled cars with the a pillars still intact.

Steven Velocity

And purely for the purpose of playing devil's advocate we've seen pictures of roll overs where the windscreen pillars did not hold up so well.
DRUM & BASS IS THE ANSWER, wobble wobble...HARD TECHNO ALL NIGHT LONG! BLOWN 2ZZ (R.I.P.) (FI project]/PFC/J&S Interceptor/complete custom 2.5" exhaust/6pd w/LSD/8lb aluminum Fidanza flywheel/ACT eXtreme clutch/TRD quickshifter/Speedsource brass shift cable bushings/BC Racing RAM coilovers/Woods slotted rotors/Hawk Pads/Saner 25.4mm front sway bar/Corky\'s BP/Kirks mounts/custom roll cage/JDM hardtop/Dev\'s KHCs/clear corner markers/150lbs added lightness/Toyo R888 for now BWAHAHAHA!!!

inert2k3

Id love a set of these 'style' bars but havent seen them for less than £300!
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

Anonymous

Quote from: "inert2k3"Id love a set of these 'style' bars but havent seen them for less than £300!

The netz shown in the link above was £265 from japanparts with customs etc taken into account, the frenzy from sc is about the same.

uktotty

Quote from: "nelix"
Quote from: "inert2k3"Id love a set of these 'style' bars but havent seen them for less than £300!

The netz shown in the link above was £265 from japanparts with customs etc taken into account, the frenzy from sc is about the same.

My frenzys were about £180 I think

Barney Bear

I  have the In-pro style bars look a bit like the Audi ones

there is  someone selling some on e-bay also ESAD do them

about 500 last time I looked   s:D :D s:D
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

inert2k3

Thanks Nelix and Totty, but its the chrome hoops that I really wanted (rather than a one piece bar) Not in any kind of rush though   s:D :D s:D
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

evileye_wrx

I sold my David's Bars for £275. I wonder if I have jipped myself. MRS Passion website used to sell them, which is where I bought them from, but the link to the site appears to be dead. Those and the In-pro/ Postert ones are the only ones which come with a plastics swap which creates the true Hoop effect. Saying that when I took mine off I thought the car looked really good, altho it might be just because it looked different from what I was used to.

Phil
Phil

Star_69

I read somewhere that roll/style bars stiffen the chassis like extra bracing? How much so? I know its no rollcage but just interested...
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

inert2k3

Probably only a tiny amount, I doubt any affect would even be noticeable to be honest  s:) :) s:)
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

evileye_wrx

I think some people had said that the early David's Bars helped a bit, but they were the one piece bars. The newer ones, which I had, came in 2 parts. Better from shipping them but probably didn't have the strength of a solid bar.

Phil
Phil

Barney Bear

Not sure if your still looking for a style bar for your 2
was looking on e-bay for bits and bobs as you do   s:D :D s:D  and found these which might be of interest

inpro ones are item no 230389152028 from Germany £420.55 p+p 71.60

frenzy one piece item no 330370544232 from USA £210.57 P+P 42.11

hope this is of some use

Tony
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

MisterK

Have a look here - Chrome hooped bar 359 Euro:
 m http://shop.chromdesign.de/product_info ... ished.html m
Sounds like what you said you are looking for.  
Also noticed that they do a windblocker for the MR2 to fit onto the bar - someone was asking if these were available a week or so ago.
MarkK
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

uktotty

They am ugly!

Just dont look wide enough

Anonymous

Both 'style bars' and hoops can under certain circumstances be dangerous in the (highly unlikley) event of a roll.  However, if you are racing or taking part in serious track events a properly designed and built bar/cage can save your life if the worst happens.
Check out Performance and Protection (Barnoldswick, Lancashire) if you are serious about staying alive.  They do not appear to have anything 'off the shelf' for the MR2 but will probably be able to fabricate the right tool for the job.

Anonymous

Does anyone have the fitting instuctions for these hoop roll bars?

uktotty

which ones did you buy?

Anonymous

the 2 separate hoops, like on the yellow mr2 in the picture above?

Tags: