MR2 broken

Started by philster_d, September 24, 2009, 08:46

philster_d

So my car broke down at the weekend on the way to the jap show thingy, after literaly just a handful of drives and only a few hundred miles.

I was expecting it to last much longer for the amount of money I have spent both on the engine and the fixing of potential issues on it during fitting and tuning.

So I sent it straight back to Rogues, initialy to find out what has happened. *fingers crossed*

Phil

Ilogik

Quote from: "philster_d"So my car broke down at the weekend on the way to the jap show thingy, after literaly just a handful of drives and only a few hundred miles.

I was expecting it to last much longer for the amount of money I have spent both on the engine and the fixing of potential issues on it during fitting and tuning.

So I sent it straight back to Rogues, initialy to find out what has happened. *fingers crossed*

Phil

As said via PM yesterday home nothing major and issues get sorted.  Every time i see your car its getting work done like Muffdans, I want to see these cars in action rather than parked up being worked on.  Car sits so nicely, I remember when I spotted it at Thor it made me jealous not owning a black car no more.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

muffdan

I really don't know what to say
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

markiii

lets hope its nothing serious Phil, I await Patricks Diagnosis with interest
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

They said they can see chunks of aluminium in the spark plug on 1 cylinder.

They need engine out and strip down to find out what has happened.

I need to wait now until they can fit it into the schedule.

loadswine

I hope it isn't as ominous as it sounds. Bet you'll have everything crossed waiting on the verdict.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

philster_d

Disbelief sums it up really.

How is this possible after only just fitting and not realy even used in anger yet.

Phil

markiii

3 possibilities that I can see

1. Faulty Part
2. Crap assembly
3. Bad Tune
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

E

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Bloody hell Phil, Ive got various parts of my anatomy crossed for you mate.

Wabbitkilla

I don't know if you ever saw Ste's pictures of the detonation damage in his cylinders ... looked like chips of aluminium stuck to the head and pistons. A bit like someone had been in there with an ice pick ... that was all down to sloppy valve timing (stretched timing chain).

But i agrea with Mark - those are pretty much the possible reasons.

Terrible news Phil after all the time that's been spent on it - hope it comes out ok for you.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

roger

I'm sorry for you Phil - doesn't sound good. Here's hoping you can extricate yourself without too much expense.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Liz

Keeping fingers crossed for you mate
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Ilogik

Group buy on some strong spirits for phill to take his mind off it?

philster_d

Thanks everyone next slot in workshop is 6th oct so we will see I guess.

Phil

ex-member

Ahhh this isn't the best news Phil! Fingers crossed it's not as serious as it could be/it's someone elses fault or responsibility!

inert2k3

Quote from: "Liz"Keeping fingers crossed for you mate

+1 All the best!   s:D :D s:D
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

uktotty

Quote from: "roger"I'm sorry for you Phil - doesn't sound good. Here's hoping you can extricate yourself without too much expense.

Expense?
Surely after paying Rogue that amount of money, there should be no expense??

Ilogik

Quote from: "uktotty"
Quote from: "roger"I'm sorry for you Phil - doesn't sound good. Here's hoping you can extricate yourself without too much expense.

Expense?
Surely after paying Rogue that amount of money, there should be no expense??

I think he paid MWR for the engine not Rogue.

markiii

depends if its tune, assembly or parts

philster_d

MWR fully built engine.

Rogue fit and re-fit. Identify areas where they are not happy. Rectify issues (at my expense) eg deburring the pistons to remove sharp edge and reduce detonation and checking things over (especialy after seeing jasons lose bolt disaster) also add crank scraper and lower the oil pickup, add clutch, fuel regulator and return system, link ecu and bigger injectors etc.

During testing the head gasket leaks, so MWR sent a commetic one. Fitted by rogue.

Thor fit boost controller to link, map car, return to Rogues.

*edit* added head gasket work*

markiii

didn;t rogue add a new headgasket as well?

uktotty

Sounds like another MWR pile of pants then!
2 engines, 2 months, not a great track record is it?

philster_d

OK 2 pistons are melted. Reason to be confirmed. possibly a fueling issue.

Unbelievable realy, I have only driven this like 5 times and it was mostly only motorway cruising (as I was still taking it easy for run in)

I thought I had fueling covered with regulator and return system and 700cc injectors.   s:? :? s:?  

I was no where near the power levels that should have been possible with this set up either, I cant see how it has been over worked. The power was lower than my set up before the swap to forged everything.

Phil

Anonymous

gutted for you mate, bet you feel sick to your stomach.   s:( :( s:(

custardavenger

Is it just the piston or are the bores damaged as well?
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Tags: