MR2 broken

Started by philster_d, September 24, 2009, 08:46

philster_d

yes bore damage as well.

custardavenger

Gutted mate. Sorry I can't remember what you have installed. Had you got an AFR guage or Exhaust temp?
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

philster_d

wideband was setup to the link ecu. The link was supposed to pull things back  to safety mode if it saw a problem. As far as I was aware. eg rising temps

custardavenger

Oh right. but you had no visual on what was going on?

Whats the plan now? Can the bores be polished out?
Project Custard Clicky

philster_d

waiting for more news. I had the block sleeved already so dunno if that changes things.

custardavenger

Thats what I was thinking. Not sure if you can go over size on that. Well keep us posted mate, and good luck. Want to see you at more events mate.
Project Custard Clicky

Ilogik

So is it a mapping problem?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Wabbitkilla

Sounds like it's the map, fueling or timing - where was it mapped again?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

philster_d

Rogue took it to Thor

Anonymous

...which means they're probably going to argue it out between them for a bit to decide who's fault it is.

So sorry for you Phi, you don't deserve the sh*t that car's put you through.

muffdan

This really is unbelievable. From being in the exact same position myself this time last year, I know exactly how you're feeling. I ended up walking away and forgetting about the car and the situation for a month before trying to pick up the pieces. I'd recommend you try and do the same if you can.

As to the blame, if you can prove the two injectors in those cylinders are working the same as the other two, I can't see how it can be anything other than a bad map. To be fair to the Link, it had no way of knowing the temperatures without an EGT sensor fitted and AFR doesn't tell the whole storey. This is why I've added an EGT guage to my dial cluster. It'll hopefully avoid melted pistons in future. I'm still a little worried that even with AFR and EGT something bad can happen. These sensors aren't measuring the AFR from all cylinders and the EGT is going to record the average temperature from the cylinders. If just one cylinder is running very hot or lean, it might not register that much on AFR or EGT. I guess a knock sensor would hopefully help with this this case. Did you have a knock sensor fitted?
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

markiii

Quote from: "muffdan"This really is unbelievable. From being in the exact same position myself this time last year, I know exactly how you're feeling. I ended up walking away and forgetting about the car and the situation for a month before trying to pick up the pieces. I'd recommend you try and do the same if you can.

As to the blame, if you can prove the two injectors in those cylinders are working the same as the other two, I can't see how it can be anything other than a bad map. To be fair to the Link, it had no way of knowing the temperatures without an EGT sensor fitted and AFR doesn't tell the whole storey. This is why I've added an EGT guage to my dial cluster. It'll hopefully avoid melted pistons in future. I'm still a little worried that even with AFR and EGT something bad can happen. These sensors aren't measuring the AFR from all cylinders and the EGT is going to record the average temperature from the cylinders. If just one cylinder is running very hot or lean, it might not register that much on AFR or EGT. I guess a knock sensor would hopefully help with this this case. Did you have a knock sensor fitted?

you could fit an EGT to each manifold runner on you TTET
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

muffdan

there is that, but you'd need 4 guages! Where would they go!   s:D :D s:D
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Would you really need 4 gauges? Surely there must be a way to link them electronically to a control box that simply flashes a big red light when things get too hot, and you can then pull the data off the logger when you get home?

philster_d

yes but I wasnt even ragging it. It was 7am and I was just motorway cruising to go to a kent car show by 8am. According to MWR my setup was good to 500bhp. I was just running less than 250.

Ilogik

Quote from: "philster_d"yes but I wasnt even ragging it. It was 7am and I was just motorway cruising to go to a kent car show by 8am. According to MWR my setup was good to 500bhp. I was just running less than 250.

Was the 250 fwhp or whp? Was it to run engine in?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

custardavenger

Thing is phil, if there was a bad cell in the map and you were holding it there on cruise that could have lunched the engine very easily. The engine doesn't have to be at full stress to break.

I would suggest you invest in some more guages or a display so that you can more closely monitor what is going on. It's certainly something I've worried about and am trying to add to my set up.
Project Custard Clicky

philster_d

Just been finishing off my custom pod.

philster_d

So Rogue think it looks like fueling. Matt says it could be because of the dead end rail?

I am realy struggling to believe this as I was just at less that 250bhp, my stock internals and fueling managed 275 pre forged build (on 330 cc injectors)

With this build I brought a FPR and return system, uprated 255 pump and 700cc injectors. Can the limit realy be 250 ? ?   MWR advertises them to be more in the region of 450.

Whats the point to even rebuild if Rogue are right? surely it would just fail over and over again.

I asked about the mapping, Matt said if it was the map he would expect to see all 4 damaged not just 2 of them so it could be 2 dodgy injectors?  (again they are brand new how likely is this?)

Phil

custardavenger

Best to get whole fuel system tested out then. I wouldn't rebuild utill I'd found the cause or had systems in place to prevent the same fault.
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

Phil

between you, I , Aaron, Stu, Spit, Dan, Sean/SteveJ e.t.c the amount of miles we've put on teh stock fuel rail at high boost levels has to be getting on for 100K and no-one has had an issue yet

I agree with the theory that a dead end rail can be an issue but in this case I don;t buy that for as the cause for a moment.

faulty injetcors are easy to check, just send them off for flow checking

if we assume its fuelling related the first place I'd look is the new return system they fitted, the stock stuff was fine at higher power levels on your car so is unlikely to be teh issue

which cylinders went?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

I think 1 and 2

Rogue

Quote from: "markiii"I agree with the theory that a dead end rail can be an issue but in this case I don;t buy that for as the cause for a moment.

faulty injetcors are easy to check, just send them off for flow checking

Just to clarify, we've made the observation that the two failed pistons are at the dead end of the fuel rail - we haven't suggested it's the cause. We have another car here running the same fuelling system with no issues, and at a higher power level.

Phil, would you like me to post the pictures up?

philster_d

Yes please. thanks.

Rogue

Tags: