Changing headlight bulbs

Started by Anonymous, September 26, 2009, 18:14

Anonymous

Hey all, right, I have a facelift 2.  One of my dipped lights went, so i thought may as well replace both of them.  After some prodding and poking and a cut finger, I managed to get the clips off, and get the new bulbs in.  However, after much fiddling around, I can't get the clips back on, well I can, but they aren;t tight.  For the life of me, I can't work out how they clip back on. Mucho help would be appreciated  s:) :) s:)

ChrisGB

From memory, the upper part of the wire spring with the loop on the end latches into the pressed notch on the headlight housing. The wire spring then contacts the rear of the headlight bulb in two places, along the top run and under the lamp as well. The wire should touch the flange of the bulb on both top and bottom.

Be sure you have not got the wire clips snagged with the wiring and ensure the wire clips are in place before the lamp is plugged in.

HTH

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

blahpony

I did my lights a couple weeks ago. It was a bit of a pain. It's hard to see exactly what you're doing. I recommend wandering off every few minutes and mumbling obscenities.  It worked for me.   s:D :D s:D

bridgemr2

There's a small notch that the clip needs to sit in to be retained.  It's an absolute pain to find.  Best tip I can give is to use a small compact-type mirror to get a view into the light housing while you're trying to find where the notch is.  After an hour or so of endless struggle, using a small mirror helped me do it in minutes   s:D :D s:D

roger

Same problem when I did mine. First attempt my lights looked like Marty Feldman   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Must say, if anybody is thinking of doing it, try very hard to see exactly how it dismantles, which way round the holder is, how the bulb fits it etc etc. Its so easy just to fumble around and the whole thing pops - then you've no idea how it goes back. Certainly that little wire clip is a buggar, but Chris' explanation is about as good as you can get.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

ChrisGB

Additionally, be sure the bulb is in right. It is possible to insert an H7 with the lugs out by 120 deg. It will not fit well and will rock on its mounting so will feel loose. As Roger said, be careful to see which way up the bulb came out and where the clip locates before undoing anything.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

K T M Rider

Quote from: "bridgemr2"There's a small notch that the clip needs to sit in to be retained.  It's an absolute pain to find.  Best tip I can give is to use a small compact-type mirror to get a view into the light housing while you're trying to find where the notch is.  After an hour or so of endless struggle, using a small mirror helped me do it in minutes   s:D :D s:D

Having just replaced an H7 dip beam bulb for the first time, got to say using a mirror is an excellent tip, doing it without definitely the best option for masochists.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

trevsmr2

some pics on here as to how the clips go on

m http://www.norcalmr2.com/mrs-headlightinstall/ m

trickyD

Just done mine, H7 dipped and the funny (HB3?) Main beams as well. I replaced with Philips "extreme" and Ring "Xenons" respectively, both supposedly +100% brighter. They seem much better than the standard candles!

Ref the clips, if you think at you need to push the release clip away (towards the front bumper) and then up to get it out of the notch. Take a look at the notch to think about it.
I would say it can't be done whilst looking at it, so figure it out and then stand up to exert maximum pressure in the correct manner.
Refitting is the reverse of removal (lol), so you need to push it towards the bumper hard and downwards until it sits in the slot/ groove. It took me a while but the main problem was not pushing the clip in hard enough to get it into the slot.

I also got mine in upside down, but they dont really seat well, so you should notice. Also, as above you need the circlip on the bottom and top of the bulb rear face.

Hope that helped?
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

chimpman

i thought "how hard can this be?".... VERY. well, once you've got the knack its easy peasy but i spent a good half an hour skinning my knuckles trying to work out how to get that stupid clip back in. The other one took about 5mins once id mastered the art.

the second headlight bulb didnt have the black plastic adaptor, headlight bulb fits fine as is secure but must get one. anyone know the part number?
2005 Chilli Red. Mods.... Pine magic tree

trickyD

Exactly, all about the knack
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Tags: