PPE Header

Started by Anonymous, February 19, 2004, 23:23

Anonymous

Quote from: "dieamond"A TRD header never allowed a MR to go faster...

More torque and more bhp......how does this not help speed/acceleration?

dieamond

Show me a dyno...

Seriously, the only difference beetween the TRD header and the original is the removing of the precats.
TRD is newer so clean and all, but note taht pipes are the same diameter as stock, and nearly exactly the same design, where is optimization ??

<MOD>Changed pic to link due to size<MOD>

http://www.spydermagazine.com/files/headers.JPG

I know TRD claims +14hp for their headers, exhaust and intake pipe (300 Euros for an aluminium pipe, just bright...) but it has never been verified, and I bet it's not possible.

If you want to spend 800£ in some TRD stuff, buy a Sportivo suspension set, THAT will make you go faster (in curves, not in straight lines, i admit)
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Jap GT300

I think what he is saying is 14bhp isn't a noticable difference.

I couldn't feel the difference under acceleration once I had added the PPE Header and down pipe

markiii

for a 4-2 header which is what the TRD is there is nothing wrong with the pipe diameters. The main restriction is the pre-cats.

Hence why the Amuse, Top Secret, TRD, and Trial headers are all much teh same. The only thing to really judge them on is shape, quality and price. Any gaisn will be much the same.

Gutting the pre-cats will be much cheaper an nearly a effective as it's only the slight balloon where the cats sit that disturbs the flow.

If Power is the reason yor going this way and the PPE isn't available I'd seriously suggest leaving teh header for now and spending teh £450 on a unichip.

And with regard to the comment about gutting you main cat. I wouldn't.

I had a decat pipe made as some of you know. Having driven shall we say a little competitively with SteveJ last week i realised just what a hole in bottom end torque this caused, though granted it freed up a little at the top end. I've since swapped that cat back on and teh car is notably faster.

So if your gutting, or adding a TRD or any of the above my advice is leave teh cat alone.

My decat pipe will be going back on when theturbo is done.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

dieamond

14hp is a difference

what I say is that you will never get it, TRD is *lying*
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

markiii

in short

TRD gives better throttle response, more noise, and removes the chance of pre-cats disintegrating.

PPE makes proper power. but with the one adam has, has a questionable 02 sensor layout.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"If Power is the reason yor going this way and the PPE isn't available I'd seriously suggest leaving the header for now and spending the £450 on a unichip.  .

Mark, is the unichip with just filter and exhaust changed likely to make much difference tho?

markiii

every engine is different, but Martin got 22bhp with just a unichip and an apexi intake (probably would have got it without the intake)

Anonymous

do you think your decat would have performed better if it had been chipped, thus tuning it  for the reduced back pressure?

markiii

I beleive so.

If you want to try the theory your welcome to borrow it and have the map adjusted.

If I was staying n/a thats what I would have done.

Anonymous

Thats very nice of you matey  s;-) ;-) s;-)    to be truthful I wouldnt realy want to have the car mapped and the nre-mapped again after I either gut it or replace it.

A few questions for you  :-) :-) :-)

who made up the cat pipe?  Cost?  Was it done in one hit or did you need to leave the car or cat with them for more than a day?

I only ask as I need the car most days.  If it wasnt too expensive I would rather buy the pipe, have the car chipped and if its no good then get the chippers to take it off there and then.

(sorry if this has been covered before)

markiii

mine was modified from a spare main cat unit I bought for £30

I've spoken to H&S and they would make a dedicated pipe with flex joint for approx £150

Anonymous

so 150 for the pipe and 450 for the chip..............Milway you say  s;-) ;-) s;-)

markiii

milway for the chip, oh yes

heres a thought.

DAZ400 recently killed his cat, if he still has it maybe you can go teh route I did and pay peanuts to have teh cat cut out and some pipe welded in.

markiii

if you decide to go that route let me know when your going to be at millway and maybe we can make a bit of a meet of it, and I'll pop down for a dyno run as well.

Anonymous

will do matey  :-) :-) :-)

DAZ if you have it my name is on it!!!!!

PM on its way

Anonymous

Just been on the Millway site only to read for the first time about the turbo'd SMT they did?  I obviously havnt been reading all the posts! ??

who's is it???  how much????

aaronjb

I'd say that'd be Martin's (mph on here) SMT Roadster..  s:) :) s:)

Hmm.. although looking at those pics, I could be wrong   s:? :? s:?

[edit: No, looking at their dyno chart it has 'mph' in the top left hand corner next to the date.. so I reckon that's Martin's car..]
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

ps Darrens cat has already been claimed     s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

markiii

it is Martins, have a word with Adam ref cats he may have a spare knocking around.

mph

Eh? Someone talking about me again?

Millway good. Was there today doing some bits and pieces. Have reduced the boost down to .5 bar, but have a full remap (3.5 hours worth of playing by Hedley). Net result is that it's actually a little lower on top bhp (210bhp), but up 10lf/ft at the lower end to 220lb/ft @3100. Where 10bhp isn't really noticable, 10lb/ft *is*. Those driveshafts look awfully thin...    s:? :? s:?
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

As far as someone cares about it, here it is my dyno with PPE header/cat, Remus muffler, TRD panel air filter in stock box and stock ECU:

Never cell light, better torque and engine rev between 4000-5500 t/min in comparison to stock. I like my PPE header very much.

Tem

Quote from: "Maurizio"As far as someone cares about it, here it is my dyno with PPE header/cat, Remus muffler, TRD panel air filter in stock box and stock ECU

Did you ever dyno the stock engine?

Also, where did they get the 40hp powerloss?? I had only 18hp powerloss, when it was measured...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

mph

Personally, I'd recommend never to compare dyno sheets - way too many variables to consider on how the values are calculated or adjusted.

Best only to compares plots done on the same day at the same dyno. Unadjusted air temperature, pressure and humidity will easily account for a +/- 5bhp difference on the stock engine. Remember that when you next see 'performance' air filters..
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

I haven't tested stock engine. The drum bank was a MAHA 4 whell driven, braked, not inertial forced. Usually, its readings are lower than others banks. Indeed, the wheel Power is too low.. My engine is ok almost considering compression ratio that is normal. However, i have seen a dyno chart of a Elise made by the same tuning man and also in this case the power dispersed was high ( about 20-25 kw ).

Tags: