PPE Header

Started by Anonymous, February 19, 2004, 23:23

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"Personally, I'd recommend never to compare dyno sheets - way too many variables ...

Agreed.  That's why I prefer what I call my "poor-man's dyno" (PmD) - timed 3rd gear runs from 3,000 to 6,500 rpm (~75 mph).

I do this on a flat stretch of road - both directions.  Floor the throttle at 2,000 rpm (25 mph) - so the car will be stable and accelerating smoothly by the time the stopwatch is started at 3,000 rpm.  Click off the stopwatch at 6,500 rpm.

Thus, there are no shifting or traction variables ... and "poor man's dyno" runs don't beat up the drivetrain!

Hundreds of a second are meaningless, but tenths of a second become meaningful, especially when averaged over a half dozen runs - in both directions.

In showroom stock configuration, my 2003 averages 8.16 seconds.

CAI examples:
With a cold-air duct going downward from the back of the air filter box it averaged 8.23 seconds.

With a cold-air duct from the stock engine bay inlet (in front of and blow the fuse box) to the side cold air inlet behind the driver's door it averaged 8.17 seconds.

With both ducting from the driver-side body vent to the stock intake below and in front of the fuse box plus ducting between the air-filter box and the left-rear wheel inlet ... average PmD times dropped to 7.99 seconds.

Conclusion?
Removing the 3" to 2" venturi restriction between the air-filter box and the right-rear fender entrance plus adding cold air from the driver-side body vent reduced PmD times ~0.2 seconds (about 4 hp at my 2,440 pound running weight).

It would be interesting to see results from those who have, for example:
1.  a low-restriction muffler, alone
2.  a low-restriction muffler with a tuned chipset
3.  low-restriction muffler, tuned chipset and header

etc. etc.

Tags: