Which Muffler is Louder-H&S or Blue Flame

Started by holman, October 5, 2009, 00:31

holman

I live in the U.S. and I'm going to buy either a Hayward & Scott or a Blue Flame muffler for my 2005 Spyder.I will be using it with a PPE header and CAT, PPE CAI, Unchip and a Crower Stage 1 cam.Do these two mufflers sound much different from one another.Which one has the mellowest sound.What is the way to go.Thanks

ChrisGB

Quote from: "holman"I live in the U.S. and I'm going to buy either a Hayward & Scott or a Blue Flame muffler for my 2005 Spyder.I will be using it with a PPE header and CAT, PPE CAI, Unchip and a Crower Stage 1 cam.Do these two mufflers sound much different from one another.Which one has the mellowest sound.What is the way to go.Thanks

Not sure about the H&S on the PPE header, but I can tell you from experience that the Blueflame single exit has a pronounced boom at 70mph (on the 6 speed) so you will probably find it a bit unpleasant. I needed to cruise at 85mph to lose the boom, which is not really practical in these speed trap infested times. Also took to driving with earplugs in. The H&S is pretty loud too, possibly even louder than the Blueflame so may give similar problems.

The solution I arrived at was to use two glasspacks (straight through type absorption mufflers) one after the other:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25255&hilit=carbon

These are carbon cans, but you could do similar with cheaper steel walled glasspacks. Or you could import the glasspacks from the UK and get a local shop to plumb it for you. I bet you could do it in carbon a lot cheaper than the H&S system.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Mike68

I've recently had a blueflame single exit fitted although I'm having it modded to a dual pipe next month. I've only driven it once at 70(ish) mph and didn't think it was too noisy. It has a lovely deep tone to it but at no stage, going through the gears to top I thought I'd made a mistake in the chosen exhaust.
This is on stock header and cat though.  cannot comment on h&s as never heard one.
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

DannyN

Dont have any problems with my H&S with Zero manifold and I can still use the parrot bluetooth kit whilst on the motorway
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

I think I was running at 94 dba without a cat, that has changed a lot since putting a sports back in, so not sure. I'm running a custom twin Blueflame, a re-catted de-cat pipe  s:? :? s:?  and a Zero 4 into 2 manifold. Don't have much problems with noise at 70, in fact I keeping putting my foot down to make sure it's still there  s:D :D s:D    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I do get a lot of cam noise through the cabin as I've got a C-one damper fitted to the engine, but I do like the sound of the Crower Stage ones  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

Rob.

kentsmudger

Quote from: "DannyN"Dont have any problems with my H&S with Zero manifold and I can still use the parrot bluetooth kit whilst on the motorway
My H & S had a bit of a boom when it was on a gutted stock manifold, but now I have the H & S manifold (looks similar to the Zero one) the boominess is much reduced.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

roger

Unfortunately exhaust sound is in the ear of the beholder, and can change (as we all know) with the equipment attached.

There is also a possibility of pitch problems. Despite not much noise, with the various exhausts I've had, Alison (my wife) suffers quite badly if the pitch / gear engaged is at a certain level.

Having said that, if you are buying new, why not talk to the makers. I know H&S can "amend" noise levels if required - though with you in US, that might be a bit difficult.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

diddy

h and s quoted me £550 fitted excluding vat do you guys think this is a bit expensive

ChrisGB

Key thing here is that he ppe setup is known fot its loud drone at freeway cruising speeds, so exhaust choice is not so easy. You need a system that does not radiate sound from the muffler walls into the car if you are going to avoid this.

Even with the cat in place, my blueflame single exit was loud enough inside the car to make earplugs a requirement if the roof was up. Roof down was lots quieter.

The setup I have now is quiet enough to cruise and hear the radio, has no reonant drone, flows enough to let me see 160bhp at the crank on stock cams and intake. It weighs just a fracion over 4.5kg and costs less than the h&s to boot. It is the only thing I know works well with the ppe header.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

roger

Quote from: "diddy"h and s quoted me £550 fitted excluding vat do you guys think this is a bit expensive

I reckon somebody slipped up there. Are they coming to the States to fit it?? Or is your car in the UK?

I assume they don't have a US outlet since they quoted £, but could be wrong.
Roger

WillsSayers

Roger, Diddy isn't the OP  s:) :) s:)

I have a H&S and I can certainly say it's loud, but I'm running without a cat, and with a slightly different engine....... Can't say I'm in to all this "don't like it to be loud" malarky though...... I don't care much for luxury or comfort, the car is there to look and sound cool, and as long as it does that, I'm smiling  s;) ;) s;)

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

roger

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Roger, Diddy isn't the OP  s:) :) s:)

That's what comes of flicking through posts and having to deal with diversions that have no real significance to the OP.
Roger

Tags: