Best suspension set up for our bumpy B-roads

Started by Anonymous, February 21, 2004, 12:03

Anonymous

In peoples' opinions what is the best type of suspension set up for our B roads with their uneven surfaces, variation in surface grade etc?

I saw the following post on a S2000 forum, which I guess I had instinctively had been following in my choice of upgrades. As I drive the car mostly on these type of roads for fun as opposed to a track I have been sticking with the stock softer suspension, higher ground clearance and trying to focus on chassis bracing and stiffer anti-sway bars.

QuoteThe better handling on bumpy roads is an interesting post. European cars, esp the BMW and British makes, have always followed the low spring rate, long travel, stiff anti-sway bar approach, with very carefully damped shock rates. American cars have traditionally been very tightly sprung and with stiff bars, limited wheel travel, stiff shocks. The Euros are better on less than billboard roads, at some loss in ultimate adhesion on race venues.

A car with its wheels in rebound is a car at the limits of adhesion, and subject to bump steer.

What do others think?

Tags: