How to clear the drain holes (with pics)

Started by Anonymous, October 14, 2009, 18:29

Anonymous

Hi, I'm Roger and I'm new here, I found this site when looking for info on how to tighten the handbrake on my nieces MR2 roadster, I must say being a CRX enthusiast (I'm a mod on CRX-UK) I'm very impressed with this forum.  Anyway, my niece's MR was also full of water, the drain tubes where blocked so while I had the car to sort the handbrake I also cleared the drain tubes, this is how I did it.

First, locate the top of the tube and clear anything blocking the grill, it's quite hard to find, it's under the folds of the roof in the pic below.

Next you need to remove the air intake grill.

Use a screw driver and a rag (to prevent damaging the paint) to prize the leading edge of the intake housing away, once it has 'popped off' the housing will come away from the body.

You can now see the bottom of the drain tube.

Pull off the cover to expose the drain tube proper, you will be able to see why it's blocked (in the pic it has been cleared already)

Now, just clear out any muck, flush through the tube by pouring water in through the top of the tube, repeat until the tube is clear, then replace the cover and you are ready to replace the air intake cover.

The clips that retain the leading edge of the cover will still be on the body work, remove them by squeezing the back of the clip using a pair of pliers.

Replace the clips onto the cover.

Now refit the cover and 'snap' the leading edge back on.

Jobs a 'good un' repeat for other side.... simples.

I hope the above is of some use to someone.

Rog.

markiii

thanks for posting however  l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12582 l  might have made your life easier
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Welcome to the ROC Roger   s8) 8) s8)  

Great to see you've taken the plunge with this, and a timely reminder for us all to have a poke around as the Autumn crud builds up..... or before the hardtops go on for the winter  s:D :D s:D
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

TCWells

Thanks for this post!

Just cleared mine out properly... Once the crisp packets were removed from the top drain holes!   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

Previous ownedp hadn't cleared then for 7 years!

csquire3

Just done mine,  don't think they have ever been cleared.    I could see the top drain hole but couldn't get to it with all the roof mechanism in the way so I got a hose and blasted it from the bottom and then flushed from the top.

m4dmurdock

I just use a bit of cable and prod it through the drainage holes from inside the car works a treat.

trevsmr2

Be careful using wire ,the tubes are not very good ,

Took the vent off the top of mine and poked some rag down the hole ,

DrWatson

Years later this is still of use. Thanks, I can hear no more sloshing now!

Reeflodge

No one has mentioned what is the best position the soft top needs to be in for the easiest access to the drain holes?
2000 PFL Yellow MR2 Roadster
http://www.fredwoodman.co.uk

beavisrules

Quote from: "Reeflodge"No one has mentioned what is the best position the soft top needs to be in for the easiest access to the drain holes?

I found I could get my arm in with it fully up , and get fingers in to clean the drain.
If I wanted to do something a bit more involved (ie sticking a rag or stick in there) roof 1/2 down so I can get closer.

normanh

Use a curtain wire its so easy then wash out with some warm soapy water - side vents don't even have to come off. Works every time!

Norman

DrWatson

Quote from: "beavisrules"
Quote from: "Reeflodge"No one has mentioned what is the best position the soft top needs to be in for the easiest access to the drain holes?

I found I could get my arm in with it fully up , and get fingers in to clean the drain.
If I wanted to do something a bit more involved (ie sticking a rag or stick in there) roof 1/2 down so I can get closer.

I agree that half way down is easiest. I also found that using a 2L bottle of water and squeezing it up the tube behind the air intake is a good way of dislodging any compacted leaf goo! And if you have water trapped you'll soon know when you've sorted it.

Tags: