Apexi turbo kit now fitted (+ pics)

Started by AC, October 15, 2009, 18:35

AC

Quote from: "MR 2ster"Anyway...great work as said!!! Whens it geting Dyno'd?
Good question, a little more work to do first (see below), then it should be off to Noble in a week or two.  However have been e-mailing Mike at Noble and it turns out they don't have the coms cable for the Greddy blue  s:? :? s:? , only for the ultimate.  Mike is trying to source one but until then they can't map it.  Anybody got one for sale, I think Noble would be interested.....

Quote from: "Ilogik"Looks like a tidy install hows it going now enjoying it?
The short answer is it's not quite going so I'm not yet enjoying it  s:( :( s:(  , in fact hasn't turned a wheel in 2 weeks, but I'm hoping for some progress this weekend.

Hasn't stopped me spending though  s:roll: :roll: s:roll: .  As the curious scenario of the original MAF position and poor running seems set to remain a mystery I decided to plough on with the MAF in the new position post turbo as everybody says that's better.  Following the installation the plumbing post turbo ended up being an interesting collection of various sizes and colours of silicone hose, clamped with many jubilee's and at the new MAF point bonded internally with sikaflex and then gaffer taped  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes: .  So I decided it was time to get dressed.  All new hoses, t clamps instead of jubilee's and properly reduced from the TB to the turbo pipe (ID70 to ID51 through a series of ID63 connections for the dump valve T).  In addition the existing Apexi power filter was looking a little tired and as the kit is knocking on 6 years old (although only covering around 20k in that time) time for a new one (in chrome  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), this also solves removal of the original MAF.

Check out the before.

And the after.

You'll also notice new injectors, 310cc EU 2zz, cleaned and flow tested (thanks Tem  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).  New sparks, BKR6E's (£6.68 delivered off ebay - bargain) and an alloy billet bung which with new hose will plug the 16mm port above the TB inlet as it now isn't used and more latterly suspected as a leak point.

With most of the above fitted, except injectors, I am all being well off to the Spitstop this weekend to yet again lean on the legend that is Ste  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  .  I'm hoping we can mod the O2's (possibly at the Boomslang) to make it read off just the one, fit the injectors, then plug in my laptop to the e-manage to a. have a look at base settings, b. adjust for the larger injectors, and c. possibly try a PE or C2 map if the car is still running flat following the further mod's.  This is still only a stop gap and as soon as Noble give me the nod a custom map will follow.

That might just leave enough time for an AFR and boost gauge & controller.  Now, where's that letter to 'Jim'll fix it'  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: .

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

markiii

Andy

Happy to mail noble my emanage cable if it helps,  just get them to send it back when they are done
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

I find the turbo kits are good, it seems getting the ecu's to bloody work properly on turbo installs cause the biggest head   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Been there done it too mate, once it sdone you will enjoy it. Your into the process of fine tuning it now.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

AC

Quote from: "markiii"Andy

Happy to mail noble my emanage cable if it helps,  just get them to send it back when they are done

Thanks for the offer Mark, to save the hassle of posting and the risk of things getting lost I am taking Ste up on the kind offer of lending his, at least I can take and bring back in person and not risk the lead walking.

A few more baby steps taken since last post, all with the kind help of Ste (I'd say I owe him a pint, but's more like a keg!).

Last weekend Ste performed the O2 mod direct on the Boomslang, bung now in one port, O2 sensor carefully strapped up in engine bay.  Following that we then plugged my laptop in to view the map.  It looked a little (well a lot) like this;

Interestingly, the map has absolutely no airflow adjustment (the 16x16 matrix all zero's), just ignition timing adjust (should that be retard, being negative values?) and additional injection.  On the face of it the map appears quite rudimentary, throwing in 40 - 50% more fuel throughout most of it.  As the blower is on the small side and starts spooling up around 2250, boosting before 3000, I wondered how well suited this map actually is?  Anyway, we then noticed that it was set to use Greddy Sensor input value, presumably from the Profec fitted on the last car.  I don't have the Profec so we concluded the map wasn't doing a great deal.  As an interim a map from a PE install off another car is now loaded.  I'm still limping the car around and when we drove it out with the laptop connected it was only just dipping into the map settings.

All of this just confirmed greater the need to get mapped properly, so this Thursday I'm booked in to Noble for the day.  Just got the 2zz injectors to go in this weekend (adjustment to the e-manage settings to show larger injectors will be made) together with a manual boost controller.

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

dg1989

I wm looking to add a diy turbo kit to my roadster.. did you have to use a piggy back ecu ?

onion86

Quote from: "dg1989"I wm looking to add a diy turbo kit to my roadster.. did you have to use a piggy back ecu ?
Yes the eManage. You can use a piggyback or a full replacement, lots of info on here have a search.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "dg1989"I wm looking to add a diy turbo kit to my roadster.. did you have to use a piggy back ecu ?

Yes he has a Greddy e-Manage Blue fitted ... the above are screenshots of the e-Manage maps.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

spit

Unless you sack the ECU completely and opt for a standalone mappable unit you'll need to go with a piggyback to get the best out of a turbo application. The Power Enterprise kit (in standard form) gets away without outside mapping by upping fuel pressure. Its crude and it works, but the air/fuel trace looks like a mountain range.  s:? :? s:?  Not ideal - I think all member's PE installs are coupled with EManage Blue or Ultimate piggys. They perform far better on power delivery.

edit - what they said more succinctly!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

vinp182

I've got an Apexi PFC in the for sale section if you fancy a complete replacement   s:D :D s:D
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Tags: