Made my own side strikers for hard top

Started by Anonymous, October 25, 2009, 12:26

Anonymous

Well after a quote from Toyota of £150+vat for the 2 side strikers i thought no way and i will make my own,if nothing else it buys me time to find some reasonable priced ones so here is how i did it.

First i got 2 pieces of metal (these started life as large L brackets) and using a vice and hammer shaped them to this shape using the front bracket on top of the windscreen as a guide for size and shape of the very top.

Test fit.

Strikers painted.

Finished and fitted.

SteveJ

Whilst I agree the toyota price is rediculous, at least they are metal forgings that are considerably more substantial than a piece of folded plate.

I give those no more than a few weeks before the hard top will be rattling like mad as they will straighten under the constant tension of the latch combined with the additional stress as the chassis twists going over bumps. At the very least you need to weld a triangular web between the horizontal and vertical parts.

Ilogik

haha there pretty spot on mate, I was thinking, someone could actually make a killing selling the kit
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

No way I'd be relying on them to hold the HT in place. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

10/10 for effort and invention though.

DannyN

good idea but they need to be way way beefier,  they look dangerous and I wouldn't be driving with my hardtop using them.

I think you should wait until you've go your Version 2.0   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   ones before you put a hardtop onto them
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

enid_b

max speed limit with those fitted should be 10mph on a calm day.  mental  note not to drive behind you until they are fortified.

nice innovation though, cant argue with that   s:D :D s:D
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

SteveJ

Quote from: "Ilogik"someone could actually make a killing selling the kit

Couldnt agree more - killing the poor b'stard driving behind the person who bought them   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Pay the money, £150 or the chance of losing your hardtop, causing an accident, causing an injury and nullifying your insurance.

Anonymous

Quote from: "nelix"Pay the money, £150 or the chance of losing your hardtop, causing an accident, causing an injury and nullifying your insurance.

These are not the only things holding the hard top on,i have the rear brackets and the front brackets aswell so there is no way the hardtop is going to fly off! There is no way i am going to pay £150+ for 2 bits of metal,I may add strengthening though.

Anonymous

Your choice. Would not be me for the reasons stated. The rear chrome brackets do not actually "hold" the hard top on, so if you did have a failure of one or both of your homemade brackets it would only be the front latches keeping it on.

As previously said though, i also would not drive behind you.

Anonymous

Quote from: "life of bryan"These are not the only things holding the hard top on,i have the rear brackets and the front brackets aswell so there is no way the hardtop is going to fly off! There is no way i am going to pay £150+ for 2 bits of metal
Okay, if you're not going to take constructive criticism very well then I'll be a tad more blunt: You're an idiot if you think that those crappy little bits of metal are a good idea. Either stump up the money for the proper items, make something a billion times thicker, or take the hardtop off.

evileye_wrx

Wasn't there someone who's still a current club member who drove around for ages without side strikers attached to his hardtop? I forget who it was but don't recall them posting about any flying hardtops. I'm not suggesting that anyone should do that, just that I think someone has before.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dan M"
Quote from: "life of bryan"These are not the only things holding the hard top on,i have the rear brackets and the front brackets aswell so there is no way the hardtop is going to fly off! There is no way i am going to pay £150+ for 2 bits of metal
Okay, if you're not going to take constructive criticism very well then I'll be a tad more blunt: You're an idiot if you think that those crappy little bits of metal are a good idea. Either stump up the money for the proper items, make something a billion times thicker, or take the hardtop off.

I noticed you edited the bit that said i would look into strengthening from my quote so if that isnt taking on board constructive criticism what is?I do see many of the points of view but i believe that it wouldnt be too difficult to make something strong and functional instead of giving in to Toyota's blackmail.Also the metal i have used is far from flimsy in fact it took quite a bit of beating with a 2lb lump hammer to get it into shape.

alancdavis

Quote from: "Dan M"

Sorry to say this but the comment  you make discribed as"Blunt" could be considered darn right rude,,,,,,,,give thr guy credit for trying
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

SteveJ

I dread to think how much money Toyota wasted developing the side posts for the hardtop. Clearly their R&D dept dont have a clue - you dont need to attach the hardtop at all - it will stay there under it's own weight - you don't need to worry about dynamic forces acting on it whilst driving.

s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Ilogik

Quote from: "SteveJ"

Couldnt agree more - killing the poor b'stard driving behind the person who bought them   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Not that sort of bracket but if i made my own cast ones,
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

SteveJ

Quote from: "Ilogik"
Quote from: "SteveJ"

Not that sort of bracket but if i made my own cast ones,

The originals aren't cast - they are forged steel. Casting a piece the required shape will be too brittle.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"I dread to think how much money Toyota wasted developing the side posts for the hardtop. Clearly their R&D dept dont have a clue - you dont need to attach the hardtop at all - it will stay there under it's own weight - you don't need to worry about dynamic forces acting on it whilst driving.

s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

At no point did i say Toyota's ones were no good,just overpriced also never said that these alone would hold the hardtop but in conjunction with the other clips it is solid but like i said earlier i will look into strengthening as i see no harm making them better.

Anonymous

Quote from: "alancdavis"Sorry to say this but the comment  you make discribed as"Blunt" could be considered darn right rude,,,,,,,,give thr guy credit for trying
Quote from: "On an earlier post, Dan M"10/10 for effort and invention though.
OH SNAP

Quote from: "life of bryan"I noticed you edited the bit that said i would look into strengthening from my quote so if that isnt taking on board constructive criticism what is?I do see many of the points of view but i believe that it wouldnt be too difficult to make something strong and functional instead of giving in to Toyota's blackmail.Also the metal i have used is far from flimsy in fact it took quite a bit of beating with a 2lb lump hammer to get it into shape.
I was going to leave it in, but then that wouldn't have given my post quite the impact it had   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

Your pieces of metal are to Toyota's brackets what a plastic bendy straw is to a length of scaffold pole, or what my willy looks like after a picture of Susan Boyle is thrust in my face compared to a picture of Nadine Coyle.

Anonymous

The problem is that you are one of three people on this post who's opinion i value the least.

inert2k3

Ooo this is getting bitchy.

Life of Bryan: Im sure that nobody criticised your strikers just for a laugh or to make you feel bad, but purely because nobody wants you to go through the nightmare of your hardtop coming loose, especially if it causes an accident/injury to yourself or any other motorists.

Granted this message could have been put across in a different way!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Mohammed   s:D :D s:D
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

DannyN

Quote from: "life of bryan"The problem is that you are one of three people on this post who's opinion i value the least.

dont like him as a person or a post'r if you like - slag him off for being a plonker (which I and many other have) if you like.
But your stupid not to value his opinion on the ways of the roadster and in this respect even more so.

Here is a couple of questions for you before we go any further.
1) Have you declared to your insurance that you now have a hardtop fitted?
2) Have you told them that you havent use the factory approved strikers to hold it in place but rather you used something similar that you made yourself?
3) Do you think that in the event of an accident and somebody gets hurt from the hardtop not staying in place then the insurance company would pay out ?  or invalidate?

PS - notice I didnt have a go at you or your handywork in question 2
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "life of bryan"The problem is that you are one of three people on this post who's opinion i value the least.
Yes, I too find it's always a good to idea to ignore people who know what they're talking about and actually try and help you. Makes life far more... edgy.

Look, we all commend you for your effort and trying new ideas is always fun and good, but you've made a catastrophic balls-up on this one that is potentially dangerous to other road users. Would you put 4 different tyres on the '2? No, of course not, because it's daft and could cause injury to yourself and others. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Anonymous

Quote from: "DannyN"Here is a couple of questions for you before we go any further.
1) Have you declared to your insurance that you now have a hardtop fitted?
2) Have you told them that you havent use the factory approved strikers to hold it in place but rather you used something similar that you made yourself?
3) Do you think that in the event of an accident and somebody gets hurt from the hardtop not staying in place then the insurance company would pay out ?  or invalidate?
Very, very good points Danny, and that's an angle I hadn't even considered.

And I'm not a plonker  s:( :( s:(

SteveJ

Quote from: "DannyN"PS - notice I didnt have a go at you or your handywork in question 2

Only because you didnt want to repeat yourself   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Quote from: "Earlier DannyN"they look dangerous and I wouldn't be driving with my hardtop using them.

Tags: