Dead Battery Recharging

Started by onion86, October 30, 2009, 09:22

Markb

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"From experience.....dont waste your time, its not worth the risk, TBH...!   s:D :D s:D  

Go to halfords, spend £50 on an HB053, (or whatever they call it), and enjoy a worry-free winters driving....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

For the sake of £50, you simply dont wanna be breaking down at an inconvenient time, in the dark, wet......  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

......If your battery is as old as you suspect, you've had good VFM from it...time for a new one..?

Try 70 quid in Halfords......they are not great batteries either(got 3 years out of one in the Rav,same battery),theres better available for less money......someone actually fitted what looks like an 075 into my 2 before i bought it,fits ok and seems to do the job.

AckersMR2

Quote from: "Markb"Try 70 quid in Halfords......they are not great batteries either(got 3 years out of one in the Rav,same battery),theres better available for less money......someone actually fitted what looks like an 075 into my 2 before i bought it,fits ok and seems to do the job.
To be fair I have rekindled a thread that's over 3yrs old so they might have been £50 back then. On their website they are £68 and nothing special so ill probably go elsewhere. The current (excuse the pun) battery is a Unipart one (are they still going?) so I'd hazard a guess as pretty old so not holding out much hope for success in recharging it?
My only car is a Ducati 

ChrisGB

Try the Toyota main dealer, they are often competitive on batteries. Chris at CTP is always worth contacting too. Comes in cheaper than main dealers generally.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

nathanMR2

I got my battery from Toyota for under £50 a few years back. Still going strong
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Jon_G

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Try the Toyota main dealer, they are often competitive on batteries. Chris at CTP is always worth contacting too. Comes in cheaper than main dealers generally.

Chris
+1 I bought one from Chris @ CTP a couple of months ago.

Be aware that some vehicles have a smaller battery than the expected Toyota 28800-YZZJA part number (which is 165mm deep)... mine needed a 28800-YZZJU (which is only 125mm deep). No idea why this might have been, as we've had the car from new and it was still on the original battery! Nevertheless, Chris replaced the large battery initially sent for the required one, which Toyota literature lists as being for a Yaris. Bottom line, make sure you buy one with the correct depth, as the tray and clamp will only accept the correct battery.

I'd just like to add that, over the decades, I've suffered many flat batteries and never experienced a problem in recharging a flat but otherwise serviceable lead acid car battery. The technology is fantastically robust and isn't going to fail just because it has been deep discharged - if this happens, then the battery was already on the way out!

AckersMR2

Well it's been on charge now since 8am yesterday and still no green light so I'm guessing its time for a new one.
Thanks for the heads up on the size, mine is also a 125mm deep battery so will look for the same.  :-) :-) :-)
My only car is a Ducati 

AckersMR2

s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  back in action. Got a Bosch S4 battery with a 4yr guarantee from eurocarparts £64 minus 20% discount promo they are running on everything at the moment.  :-) :-) :-)
I'm not sure how old the old battery was as I've only had the car a year but judging by the labelling and the fact it had the screws to open each cell ( aren't they all sealed nowadays to save us from our own stupidity  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) I'm guessing it was pretty old?
My only car is a Ducati 

trickyD

Quote from: "cclarke99"Looking at the spec for the XS800, I'm not sure what the "desulphation" bit does

[from google]
"These new microprocessor battery chargers will also detect sulfication. This is a condition where sulfur from the sulfuric acid will build up on the lead plates in the battery. This happens normally as a battery ages. This buildup of sulfur crystals reduces the ability of a battery to produce electricity or take a charge. These new style battery chargers will automatically switch to desulphication mode. They send high frequency signals into the battery in an attempt to knock the sulfur crystals from the lead plates. This process may take several hours. Then the battery charger will charge the battery. Many times this can save a bad battery"

m http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 859AAErtFy m
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

normanh

Technically its not sulphur thats deposited on the plates its lead sulphate ( sulfate - american spelling) a reaction between lead and sulphuric acid. It doesnt always seem to be reversible.

see  m http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... revent_it/ m

Norman

trickyD

Thanks  s:) :) s:)

(I should have said that quote was from Yahoo answers, worse than Wilipedia!)
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Tags: