Leaky Shocks

Started by Liz, February 23, 2004, 18:35

Liz

Just got back from Mr T and happily handed them back their diesel people carrier   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Went in to have the seat back replaced - done fine, o/s headlight - done fine, I mentioned about the power steering whine which is now audible above the radio when the car is stationary and they said that they couldn't hear it, (I intend to take that one further)

But I have another fault now which is going to be fixed under warranty, they discovered that the N/S/F shock is leaking, anyone else had this happen and if so would the effect of this make the car seem like it is wandering around when you are at speed? I thought it was the tyre pressures making her seem to be driving a bit wafty but could this of caused the same effect?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

SteveJ

Mark had a shock-absorber fail after a sideways excursion across the gully at northweald (there were other side effects as well but the less said about that the better!)

The net result was the car got very tail-happy until we found the problem whilst fitting the sportivo a few weeks later.

So in answer to your question Liz, yes the car will behave very strangely with a failed shock.

Make them fix it ASAP.

Liz

Thanks Steve,

The soonest that they could get it in was for the 9th March, it will do about 500 miles before then so I better go careful!!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

have they not balmed it on the lowering springs ? or do they know that they are there or not ???

Liz

No, they never mentioned the springs, there again, they fitted them  s:!: :!: s:!:   So they are never going to cough that they were the cause...I would be interested to know why it went, I haven't had clipped kerbs etc, oh well one of lifes little mysteries.

Tem

Quote from: "Liz"I would be interested to know why it went

Lowering springs have a habit of killing shocks meant for stock height...

Even if TTE says the springs are designed for the stock shocks, I'd keep my eye on the other three. They tend to die a bit by bit though, so you won't really notice the difference before getting a brand new set or drive a 2 with proper shocks  s:? :? s:?  Unless is totally dies on you...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Liz

Hmm, I am going careful with it as the work is not going to be done for a while. The shock that has gone is the one that had the  lowering spring which was not fitted properly and jumped out of its mounting, wonder if that put it on the road to ruin.  However, just checked and the springs were fitting 10 months ago, so I suppose it would of made the shock go sooner than that.  s:?: :?: s:?:

GSB

Rule of thumb:

NEVER replace a single shock... They should be fitted as pairs (just like brakes and tyres and other handling related items), or the handling can do all sorts of wierd things. Make sure they do both Liz...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "Liz"However, just checked and the springs were fitting 10 months ago, so I suppose it would of made the shock go sooner than that.  s:?: :?: s:?:

It's more related to distance than time. Obviously things vary a lot and -30mm isn't that much...pretty wild guess, but I'd say the stock shocks should live with that for 20t miles or so...

Liz

Quote from: "GSB"Rule of thumb:

NEVER replace a single shock... They should be fitted as pairs (just like brakes and tyres and other handling related items), or the handling can do all sorts of wierd things. Make sure they do both Liz...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I will call them tomorrow about that one, thanks

Liz

Thanks to all about advice that I have received on this, picked up Si's car from its MOT this morning and was chatting to the mechanics and they said as per messages I have received that both shocks should be replaced.

Anyways, I ring Mr T and asked them how many shocks that they would be replacing, I picked myself up off of the floor when they said both of them...I will be marking them to make sure that I don't get the same ones back - (thanks Sandie!)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"...I will be marking them to make sure that I don't get the same ones back - (thanks Sandie!)

You are more than welcome, glad to have been able to come up with something useful for a change   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Liz

Well went to Mr T yesterday, after being told that both would be done, I pick it up to find that only the leaking one has been replaced   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  When I said that I had taken advice about this the service receptionist who is very nice and helpful rang the fitters who said that the off side is perfect still, hmmm it has done 40,000 miles - can't be A1 perfect still I wouldn't of thought. They are not going to budge on this though despite my protestations. Must say though that it feels alot better, the only way I can describe it, is that it feels tight and more secure at the front that it did. Also I moaned again about the power steering whine, they are going to replace the pipes under warranty but say that there is nothing wrong with the motor. They did my new windscreen wipers for me with no problems.  I also asked if they could wire the RoadAngel power into the ignition for me, completely ignored.

Mark you have pm - you know what it will be about!!

Liz

Got a question  s:?: :?: s:?:  , on the side that has had the shock replaced, it is still sitting about 1" higher than the side which has not been done, still feels a bit drifty at the front as well.  Will it settle?? I am going to check the tyre pressures today just in case that they are out by a mile which can cause the drifty feel.

Rang Mr T yesterday and booked it in for MOT, 40K service, told them I have sourced a new shock for the offside (thanks Markiii!) and I want the old one back, they are also going to replaced the power steering pipes at the front to the new modification for them to see if this helps the noise. Also I asked them to put a new bulb in behind my heater controls as one wasn't working, result of that - none working now and a heated rear window switch that I have to poke in the side with my nails to make work.  Reason why they didn't fix it at the time - they didn't have any bulbs  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Ok I will stop waffling now  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  , but I have no jobs to deal with at the moment so making use of my time and the boss will think I am busy if I am typing!!

markiii

they did put the lowering spring back on didnt they?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "Liz"Got a question  s:?: :?: s:?:  , on the side that has had the shock replaced, it is still sitting about 1" higher than the side which has not been done, still feels a bit drifty at the front as well.

Makes me wonder how they tested that the other one is just fine...? It might not leak or be completely dead, but 40tmiles is a lot and I bet it's pretty worn already. It's pretty hard to tell a worn shock from new in stiff suspension..

Shocks raise the car a bit, cause they push the car upwards. New shocks do it more than old and it could easily make a 1" difference, depends on the springs and shocks.

Liz

Quote from: "markiii"they did put the lowering spring back on didnt they?

Oh yes, first thing I checked that I could see TTE and it is still on there, I am totally unhappy with the way it is handling at the moment, on a right hand bend it feels dangerous, back nice and secure, but if I change lanes back to the left as soon as I turn the wheel it just doesn't feel right, its the only way that I can explain it, like I have really got to hold onto the wheel tightly to maintain control.  Not happy!

SteveJ

Camber is probably wrong for a start. Secondly, dampers (shock absorbers) should be changed as a pair. Never EVER change one corner without changing the other.

All I can say is I wouldn't want to be driving that car at the moment!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Liz

Tem your right, there is what looks like a 1" difference between the near side where the shock has been changed and the offside which hasn't yet. Looks like it hasn't been lowered on that side of it now. Not happy and going to ring them Monday, I have several issues to take up with them now!

Steve, I am not enjoying driving it at the moment, even feels dodgy in the dry and that ain't good.

markiii

Liz,

If you can get to me one night this week I'll change the other shock for you save driving it like this
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: