wrong battery

Started by marco2412, November 5, 2009, 20:49

marco2412

i have been reading on here and seen that my car has the wrong battery in it! as my car is a (import) the battery terminals are larger, the uk mr2 are smaller  

the battery i have in the car is a halfords HB054 for the uk mr2 and on here it says the halfords book is wrong it should be HB053 (bigger terminals) for my mr2 (import)!

could this have an effect on my reves being low on idle?

i did a post on here yesterday! about the low idle!

does any one know why?
thanks Marco

Anonymous

If the battery fits then you have the right one, don't worry. If you had smaller/larger terminals then you wouldn't get a decent connection at all and the car wouldn't even start.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Marco as Markii said, your revs are not low on idle compared to normal.

marco2412

Quote from: "nelix"Marco as Markii said, your revs are not low on idle compared to normal.

ok! is it normal to have the shackeing with that rpm

thats when i saw a member talking about the wrong battery i thought it could have some thing to do with that

thanks marco

Anonymous

No, but the car should idle at those revs, so the problem is something else.

Anonymous

Have you compared it to another MR2, is there anyone local you can go and talk too, where are you based.

Anonymous

Quote from: "FGRob"Have you compared it to another MR2, is there anyone local you can go and talk too, where are you based.

He is in Surrey Rob, a few members thereabouts iirc.

Peter Wright

Quote from: "marco2412"the battery i have in the car is a halfords HB054 for the uk mr2 and on here it says the halfords book is wrong it should be HB053 (bigger terminals) for my mr2 (import)!
I imported my own some 9 years ago and it came with the small terminals
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

Quote from: "nelix"
Quote from: "FGRob"Have you compared it to another MR2, is there anyone local you can go and talk too, where are you based.

He is in Surrey Rob, a few members thereabouts iirc.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly who will lend a hand.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mrzwei

Once the car starts, it actually runs off of the alternator, which then, as part of its function, ensures that the battery is topped up. If the alternator is not charging the battery or the battery won't take the charge then I guess an error code should appear. With modern very low voltage sensors then a duff battery could, I suppose, cause all sorts of problems. Usually with the 2 you get just a clicking noise and no start. You need a friend with a good battery to jump yours and isolate the problem.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

marco2412

not yet as dont know any one near me yet! hope fully i will find some one soon! lol i am near epsom in surrey

spit

Quote from: "Peter Wright"
Quote from: "marco2412"the battery i have in the car is a halfords HB054 for the uk mr2 and on here it says the halfords book is wrong it should be HB053 (bigger terminals) for my mr2 (import)!
I imported my own some 9 years ago and it came with the small terminals

+1. The Japanese import MR-S has smaller terminals. It takes the type 054 battery.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: