Take 2:Roll up, roll up, how much power/torque will it make?

Started by AC, November 13, 2009, 18:02

AC

If you've seen anything of my Apexi turbo thread you'll have read last that I'm off to get mapped this Thursday at Noble.

Before that though, I'm taking bets as to how much umph the thing will make.  The spec is below, anybody who gets either figure spot on is welcome to a bottle of beer in the post.  What do we think???

2003 MR2 Roadster, UK car, 6sp manual, 34k miles.
1.8 1zz VVTI, completely stock.
Apexi AX53B60 turbo kit fitted, comprises an IHI ball bearing turbo, with both oil and coolant lines (used).
Apexi Power Intake cone filter (new).
Greddy e-manage blue piggyback ecu (used), connected via Boomslang harness (new).
Haywood & Scott race cat (used, came with kit).
Magnex cat back silencer (went on new at 31k).
310cc 2zz injectors (used, but cleaned and flow tested prior).
NGK BKR6E spark plugs, standard gapped at 0.9mm (new).
Hallman Pro RX manual boost controller (new).
O2 sensor modification (done on Boomslang), now running off just one, bung in downpipe, sensor still connected and in engine bay for heater circuit requirement.
Bailey motorsport atmosphere BOV (used, came with kit).
Silkolene 10w50 fully synthetic oil (changed to with new oil filter when kit fitted).

The installation has no intake cooling at present.

I have asked Noble to explore mapping the kit up to 10psi on the day, though I am aware intake temps may become an issue, if so a happy medium would be acceptable.

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

SimonC_Here

I'll go for 235 bhp @ 11psi

well you got to start somewhere!  s:) :) s:)

evileye_wrx

Before scrolling down I would have said 235bhp. I'm now going to say 236bhp   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

vvt-i made about that with a PE turbo and emanage tuned at Noble so could even come in a bit higher as the Apexi turbo is a little bigger I think

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

markiii

220 before heat becomes an issue
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I'll go for 211bhp.

Anonymous

227.75   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

VVT-i

As I got 234 my guess will be 240 at or around 10psi.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Ilogik

WHP or fwhp? Dyno Dynamics dyno?

Ill go for 205 bhp on a dyno dynamics, possibly 210 fwhp.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "markiii"220 before heat becomes an issue

I missed the lack of intercooler. Which reminds me I should bump my charge cooler sale  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Phil
Phil

spit

This is one day out in the '2 when you hope for it to be really cold and damp   s:D :D s:D
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

roger

I'm was worried about chasing power by going for that extra boost, which the hardware (cars and turbos) may or may not be able to handle.

That's why I had my PPE locked down at 5psi. You might like to consider something similar, then if everything works OK, and you still want more, open it up and go for another tune.

For the record, at the 5psi I got 200bhp without chargecooler, 220bhp with. More than enough for me   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

On that basis, and with no cooling, you might get 235 @ 10 psi before something melts / breaks / comes apart.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

markiii

220bhp at 5 psi on a PE is a fabulous result Rog
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

Quote from: "roger"I'm was worried about chasing power by going for that extra boost, which the hardware (cars and turbos) may or may not be able to handle.

That's why I had my PPE locked down at 5psi. You might like to consider something similar, then if everything works OK, and you still want more, open it up and go for another tune.

For the record, at the 5psi I got 200bhp without chargecooler, 220bhp with. More than enough for me   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

On that basis, and with no cooling, you might get 235 @ 10 psi before something melts / breaks / comes apart.

What dyno was that on? seems a good figure.

roger

Quote from: "Ilogik"What dyno was that on? seems a good figure.

Hypersport, as was. No idea of make/model
Roger

AC

Quote from: "roger"On that basis, and with no cooling, you might get 235 @ 10 psi before something melts / breaks / comes apart.

Hmmm  s:( :( s:(  , the last thing I'm looking for is to stress it close to failure.....

I'm not actually after trophy output figures, anything north of 200hp & 200lb ft will be just fine at this stage.

The main reason I've indicated a desire to map up to 10psi was because I thought that could be towards the upper limit of what would still be within operational limits for the set up as is.  I'm hoping Noble will be able to tell me at what point psi-wise the car is producing best power without dangerous stress/heats levels.  Question now is will they be able to do that???

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

evileye_wrx

I'd expect Noble to squeeze out some more horseys than Hypersports would have. The evidence suggests they usually do

Phil
Phil

enid_b

Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

roger

Quote from: "evileye_xc"I'd expect Noble to squeeze out some more horseys than Hypersports would have. The evidence suggests they usually do

Phil

Hypersports could have done. It was agreed with me we would limit it to 5psi. Its words like "sqeeze" and "upper limit" that frighten me. The straw that breaks the camels back, and all that.

Still I'm sure Noble know what they are doing, so if you have any concerns make it very clear to them. IMO instructions like " get all you can out of it" gives them the OK to go too far. Make sure you qualify any such statement.
Roger

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "evileye_xc"I'd expect Noble to squeeze out some more horseys than Hypersports would have. The evidence suggests they usually do

Phil

Hypersports could have done. It was agreed with me we would limit it to 5psi. Its words like "sqeeze" and "upper limit" that frighten me. The straw that breaks the camels back, and all that.

Still I'm sure Noble know what they are doing, so if you have any concerns make it very clear to them. IMO instructions like " get all you can out of it" gives them the OK to go too far. Make sure you qualify any such statement.

I don't think they would go over the top, Noble always give the impression of safety first and set the car accordingly. They will do a very good job as did Hypersport in their hey-day, although the dyno reading can be a little different  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  

Rob

loadswine

Well I hope it runs like it should and gives you the drive you are after Andrew. The kit itself is superb, so it should give over 200 reasonably. Apart from the safety aspect, which has been spoken about, I'd always plump for maximum driveability. It should deliver in that department. If I'm going to join in the predictions, I reckon 217 bhp and 202 lbft, with a smile that will stretch easily from ear to ear.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

AC

Right then, day of reckoning arrived, mapping session completed, results as below.

It was an OK day..........

Who am I kidding, it was pretty damn good day, 230hp at 7psi at max revs (it also gets close at 6400rpm) and 200 lbft at 4735rpm  s:D :D s:D  .

Darren Wynn (Mapping Technician) at Noble really does seem to be able to release those ponnies  s8) 8) s8)  .

Though in typical turbo fashion, one problem solved, another created.  Anybody recommend a good clutch????? (as mine is now slipping, though not all the time).

Now do I owe anybody a beer?

muffdan

The ACT clutches are excellent.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Ilogik

Quote from: "AC"Right then, day of reckoning arrived, mapping session completed, results as below.

It was an OK day..........

Who am I kidding, it was pretty damn good day, 230hp at 7psi at max revs (it also gets close at 6400rpm) and 200 lbft at 4735rpm  s:D :D s:D  .

Darren Wynn (Mapping Technician) at Noble really does seem to be able to release those ponnies  s8) 8) s8)  .

Though in typical turbo fashion, one problem solved, another created.  Anybody recommend a good clutch????? (as mine is now slipping, though not all the time).

Now do I owe anybody a beer?

Hi mate, how desperate are you for the clutch? I will be selling my TRD one, which is in good condition. Looking for £150 delivered?

Will be coming off the car in a few weeks, not sure which one it is, as I never got to see it. But it will be checked once off and ill get some pics for you.

m http://www.fensport.co.uk/products.htm m

AC

Quote from: "Ilogik"Hi mate, how desperate are you for the clutch? I will be selling my TRD one, which is in good condition. Looking for £150 delivered?

Will be coming off the car in a few weeks, not sure which one it is, as I never got to see it. But it will be checked once off and ill get some pics for you.

PM me when you have it off (the clutch that is  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: ).

Cheers,
Andrew.

Ilogik

Quote from: "AC"
Quote from: "Ilogik"Hi mate, how desperate are you for the clutch? I will be selling my TRD one, which is in good condition. Looking for £150 delivered?

PM me when you have it off (the clutch that is  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: ).

Cheers,
Andrew.

aw you got me excited   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   :p

Tags: