Extended Warranty - First Experiences

Started by darrenjuggins, February 24, 2004, 18:25

darrenjuggins

Hi All,

Took out the extended warranty in November after my 3 years had expired.

Had a close look at my wheels this wash and found that, yet again! the wheels had started to blister from underneath the paint.

in addition the little window guide had fell off - again.....

So I thought - extended warranty here i come: -

ah ha, I'll ring the dealer to sort these issues out.....

Garage get back to me, sorry, warranty doesn't cover wheels, only mechanical parts!!! doh! neither did it cover the guides!!!!

Ring Warranty myself get an "oh so helpful" guy "NOT" who quotes from the warranty, I tell him about the shite wheels and that there is a "KNOWN" problem, but he's a space cowboy and I might as well have been talking to a wall!

Hmmm - not so impressed with extended warranty now  - now in doubt about the brake discs which I was assured would be changed under it (minus pads) which is ok.....

so will phone tomorrow to check this out.

Conclusion - anything non mecanical which is at fault, make sure you get changed BEFORE the end of your manufacturers warranty!!!

Hope this is useful.

Cheers

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

Liz

Good post, mine is 3 years old on the 10th April and I was going to extend the warranty on it.  Bit of a double edged sword, do I pay out £380 for a years worth and not claim on it or risk the engine going and sods law says something nasty might happen and be stung for £1000's..going to check my wheels when it gets light tomorrow, just in case I need a new set before April!!

And what with the shock going as well, are the rest going to follow.. anyone got a coin I can toss??
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

darrenjuggins

Hi Liz,

I was a bit shocked it didn't cover these, may approach it from a "sale of Goods Act" point of view, ie. not a merchantable quailty.

THe Wheels I am hopefully getting replaced under my insurances 3 year warranty on accident repairs, as I crashed it last Dec, net result 3 new wheels as well as other stuff.

So I shall wait and see how that turns out, I'm hopeful at the moment, but annoyed at toyota.

As you say, the warranty is cheap for things like gear box, engine, air con, etc, etc but Wheels are fundemental and "THEY KNOW THEY ARE CRAP!" just being pig headed about it....

Bad Mark for toyota - hope they read this!

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

markiii

if your worried about the engine, get a quote for the labour to install a new one.

it may not be much more for install plus engine from a breaker, than your extended wrranty.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

darrenjuggins

Hi Mark,

I've got the warranty now as I couldn't be doing with hassle if engine went wrong (Only me and my car) so no back up plan, so would rather pay for warranty rather than have to sort out after a faliure, hopefully the warranty will just be for peice of mind as toyotas, hondas, mazda are pretty bullit proof, but you never know.

As for the other, I'm sure thats good advice if your making a deceision wheater to go for it or not.

MR J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

been told by my dealer that 1 month before the warranty runs out get an mot done at a dealer,they will forward date the mot and if there are any faults you can have them repaired under warranty.i know it does help if your engine goes afterwards but i have done 42,000 on mine and not had any major problems.

Anonymous

Why not get the wheels referbished - find a decent place near you and they will probably last longer than the Mr T ones!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

darrenjuggins

Hi Kris,

Well I'll get them replaced this time, but will look at having them re-furbished if there is a next time (hopefully not), must have just got the last of the crap batch as toyota tell me (my Dealer) that they haven't had any replaced ones returned.

I'll let you know how I get on in due course.

Cheers

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

I understood the Toyota extended warranty was 'manufacturers equivalent' and covered manufacturing faults so don't understand why they would quibble about the wheels claim.

From Toyotas extended warranty website page:

"A Toyota warranty is an extension of the original warranty on your new or used vehicle. If a part covered by the warranty suffers a failure, we'll fix it. It's as simple as that: nothing to pay for replacement parts or labour, just routine servicing and maintenance costs."

Are they saying wheels are not included in the warranty, or that bubbling laquer is not a 'failure' ?? Either seem a bit bizarre.

If its a breakdown only warranty (as dodgy cheap warranties often are), then it is probably near useless, as surely you would want faults corrected on it when they are noticed, not wait until the car breaks down ????

darrenjuggins

Hi,

So far they have kicked back the Wheels and also the window deflectors, both which have previously been replaced under the full warranty.

Update:

Have contacted customer services and pointed out the sale of goods act and also the fact that I have both extended warranty and full UK service regime.

told me they would get back to me in 3/4 days...

Auto express/trading standards/ - being kept in reserve.

Hopefully pro-panel who did the repair work should be able to make progress with F Cross (Now Pendragon) on the wheels, which are only 1yr and 1 month old.

I'll keep you all posted.

In addition asked about my rusting discs - been informed as long as I have them replaced before 60k the warranty will cover them, but I will have to buy the new pads (pads included within 3 yr manufacturing!)

BTW: thanks for that quote, think It could come in handy!!!

Cheers

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

If the wheels are only 13 months old, then I believe sale of goods act can also be used as clearly they are not fit for purpose if they need to be replaced every 13 months ( I think the act states a 'reasonable period' which is open to interpretation based on the goods in question, obviously a car wheel should be expected to last longer than a vending machine cup).

Unless of course Toyota are claiming wheels are a consumable item which should be replaced annually ?? (Which doesn't sound too far from whats happening!).

darrenjuggins

Cheers for that,

thats exactly what I was going to throw back at them....

Also - another interesting point is anti-perferation.......... Hmmm why should this only apply to the paint work of the car!!! wheel are also painted and subject to the same wheather conditions.... so my play that card.

Got a few tricks left, but lets hope I don't have to get round to use them....

Cheers

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

crankshaft

I was told by MRT that the extended warranty is identical to the initial warranty and that the only thing not covered is the Battery !!

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

Wheels you should be ok for Daz I reckon.
Brake discs comes under wear and tear, toyota wont "new" them for nowt, i know, just got my warranty extension and also just failed MOT cos of the front discs, they wouldn't pay out for them.

darrenjuggins

Hmmmmm - Obviously not -  must say - I read it and interpreted as a follow on warranty ie. identical - but I trust my garage pretty much now, but it's a bit Shite seeing that the likes of Hyundi now offer 5 year warranty as STANDARD!!!

Toyota, Mazda, Honda - Please take note and heed!!!!!

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

darrenjuggins

Woops - sorry Mod - didn't mean to swear - honest.....

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

Liz

I have been looking at different warranty companies, the AA seem to cover the same - as Mr T won't do anything cosmetic - ie wheels - cost is £181 to members and £191 to non members, damn site cheaper than the £380 I have been quoted - info here:

m http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/warra ... _faqs.html m

Not sure if it will be any good though

Liz

Further to this, when I was in Mr T the other day they asked me about extending the warranty as mine is 3 yrs old on the 10th April.  I said that I would probably go with the AA as they were cheaper and offered the same as they did.

Mr T told me that the AA would not let the work be done by a main dealer as it would cost too much...oh how they tell porkies, spoken to the AA yesterday and they said that they prefer the work to be done by a main dealer as they have all the correct parts etc, so you can guess where my money is going to..and I shall put Mr T right as well.  Only thing with the AA is that you have to pay a £25.00 excess on any claim, but if your power steering goes at a princely £900 thats small fry.

This may be of interest to people whos' warranties are nearly up.

Anonymous

A good argument for just buying new cars ever three years then.  Make sure you use the balloon payment scheme then just give it em back (its worthless as part-ex anyway).  Like liz said, £900 for the power steering - thats three months worth of payments on a new car anyway.

OK, not ideal for some, but there's logic in my madness.

darrenjuggins

You have got too much money craig and can afford to change ever year lol!!!!

Alternative: Craig, you sponsor the others on the site to buy new cars every three years  :-) :-) :-)

Then none of us need to buy extended warranties  s;-) ;-) s;-)

LOL - Only Joking craig, I'm only jealous.... good on ya.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

crankshaft

Liz;

That's very interesting, do you have to be a AA member to take up this warranty ??

MRT did tell me that everything except the battery was covered, made no mention that cosmetic defects like blistering alloys etc would not be covered ??

Cheers

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Liz

No you don't have to be a member...if you follow the link about which I posted, goes straight to the warranty page. Prices for our cars quoted above for members and non members. Give it 28 days to come into effect, so I am going to sort mine today!

filcee

Quote from: "cstevens"A good argument for just buying new cars ever three years then.  Make sure you use the balloon payment scheme then just give it em back (its worthless as part-ex anyway).  Like liz said, £900 for the power steering - thats three months worth of payments on a new car anyway.

OK, not ideal for some, but there's logic in my madness.

[off-topic]

Which is all very well except that with a ballon scheme you pay all of the interest for the whole of the loan, e.g. a 15K car, you want a balloon payment at the end of 5K, so you pay back 10K, plus interest on 15K at the going rate over 3 years, and still have 5K left to pay at the end.

Plus the rates for 'PCP' style schemes are usually higher than HP, which are higher than the bank, which are higher than on-line lenders.

Normal service will now be resumed ....

[/off-topic]
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Just found out the hard way.
Conal spotted some bubbling on one of my wheels on Sunday.
Having recently got 2 years of extended warranty for £550 I was quite happy, a quick call I thought, and I'll be sorted, wrong!

Toyota saying it's not covered. I can't believe it. In the paperwork I got through for the extended warranty it says it's the same as the original manufacturer's warranty, with some exclusions, "wheels" are not mentioned in these exclusions.
I said to the lady at Rayleigh Toyota (Essex), "but these wheels are less than a year old", she said "well if they were replaced under warranty then they're not covered under warranty anymore"
Now does that sound right to you?
Cos it really dont to me.
I will have to dig out the paperwork for the Toyota garage that replaced them last June, Herts somewhere (maybe Harpenden rings a bell), and see what they say about it all

Not a happy bunny  s:x :x s:x

markiii

teh amount of times they have been replaced under warranty is irrelevant.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: