Treating rust....

Started by WillsSayers, November 20, 2009, 15:20

WillsSayers

Now lads.

What's the best way of tackling rust? May take a look at the mk2 this weekend, which has a few rust spots. Am I right in saying it's a case of using a wire brush to take the rust away, possibly using a dremel if necessary, then using some filler, sanding down and re-painting? I don't think the rust is particularly bad  s:) :) s:)

-Wills

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

WillsSayers

Didn't realise no one here has ever owned a rusty car :p

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Dyn-Evo

C'mon Wills...I had a couple of Mk1's...!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

OF COURSE i've had rusty cars........  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Thing with rust is you absolutely must get it all, and do the prepping in dry weather: if you do it when its damp and murky, then you run the risk of actually trapping moisture in when you prime / topcoat the repair......

A hot summers day is ideal: do as you say, but when you have removed as much of the rust as you can (all the visible stuff), apply some Kurust and allow to dry.
This will chemically "kill" the rust at microscopc level: then you should prime with some zinc primer ASAP......

It doesn't matter about finish at this stage: just get some covering over the repair to protect it from moisture / the elements, etc.....

Then you can do the usual filler-primer / primer / topcoat (lacquer) process.....  s8) 8) s8)
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

Ilogik

Has been awhile, where is the rust?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Tags: