Will Corolla T Sport Compressor Clutch fit?

Started by AC, November 26, 2009, 19:16

AC

I am in fairly urgent need of a new clutch since getting the Apexi blower singing, anything like a moderate right foot and at 3000-3500rpm its slipping better than an old person on snow.

I know the ACT TC2-XTSS appears the clutch of choice and no doubt very good, but cost is best part of £400 before fitting.

Having looked at Exedy product on ebay I have seen what is described as "3 piece O.E.M. Exedy Racing Clutch Kit for Toyota Corolla T-Sport VVTL-I 01 - 04 & 1.8 VVTL-I Compressor (Supercharged Version)" at an interesting price of £200.  The reported output of the Corolla Compressor is 215bhp and 158lb ft (which admittedly is still 15hp and 42lb ft below my current).

Would this application clutch fit an FI 1ZZ with 6spd manual and probably more importantly would it stand up?

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

muffdan

it is the torque rating that is important, not the power. I wouldn't fit it personally.

Have you checked out the price of the ACT from MWR? They're listing it for $442, but with shipping and import duty to add on that of course so it would probably still cost you just under £350 delivered.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

markiii

it should fit but from memory TTE reccomended the standard Toyota Clutch for teh T-SPORT which is only£90
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

AC

Quote from: "markiii"it should fit but from memory TTE reccomended the standard Toyota Clutch for the T-SPORT which is only£90

Really?  As in TTE recommended the Corolla T-Sport clutch as the clutch to fit to a TTET MR2 Roadster?  Did they get that right, sounds under spec'd to me.  Wasn't the Corolla T-Sport motor the 190 hp 2zz (which obviously has far less torque than TTET)?

I wonder if/how one could find out the torque ratings of OE Toyota clutches fitted to various 1zz/2zz powered models with same 6spd box as ours?

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

markiii

sorry meant T-sport compressor
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

These folks have a selection of ACT kits.  m http://www.clutchcityonline.com/ACT/toy ... spyder.htm m  
They were very competitive when shipping was factored in as well. If shopping from the States, its another thing to think about.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

russcannell

Quote from: "AC"I am in fairly urgent need of a new clutch since getting the Apexi blower singing, anything like a moderate right foot and at 3000-3500rpm its slipping better than an old person on snow.

I know the ACT TC2-XTSS appears the clutch of choice and no doubt very good, but cost is best part of £400 before fitting.

Having looked at Exedy product on ebay I have seen what is described as "3 piece O.E.M. Exedy Racing Clutch Kit for Toyota Corolla T-Sport VVTL-I 01 - 04 & 1.8 VVTL-I Compressor (Supercharged Version)" at an interesting price of £200.  The reported output of the Corolla Compressor is 215bhp and 158lb ft (which admittedly is still 15hp and 42lb ft below my current).

Would this application clutch fit an FI 1ZZ with 6spd manual and probably more importantly would it stand up?

This is the one i have ordered
 m http://www.competitionclutch.co.uk/toyo ... -p-26.html m

£285 + £15 next day shipping UK agent talk to Mike. He seems to know his stuff. Although the clutch is specced for a celica if you look on the american website the part numbers are identical for an MRS. It was the best deal i could find and Mike says the clutch is rated for up to 350ft/lb torque so that should be enough. I will have to see what it drive like once fitted tho.

Cheers

Russ
Russell Cannell
53 MR2 silver with bodykit & carbon spoiler. Hass Turbo 225bhp 260 Nm Torque.

spit

Andrew. You have PM
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Star_69

Yep, compressor clutch same as tsport which is the same as the stock mr2 item
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

Tags: