205/40/R17

Started by uktotty, November 30, 2009, 14:33

uktotty

What does the R mean?

Is it wise to change the pair with a puncture on a FORD?

Is it wise to move the rears to the front etc?

muffdan

R means radius (at the rim)  s:) :) s:)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Always change in pairs unless brand new one side, and it depends on the state of the rear tyres.

seaplane

I think you'll find the R stands for radial construction.  If it were radius, that would mean the rim would be 34 inches diameter and best suited for a v. large 4x4.  The link explains all:   m http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html m
Red tyre valve dust covers.  Black mud flaps.  Clear interior light lens.  A thin layer of Lincolnshire dirt.  I must stop spending so much on this car!

muffdan

nice!   s:D :D s:D
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

mrzwei

Yup, the R stands for the type of construction, the number that follows is the rim diameter in inches
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

uktotty

LOL Cheers guys  s:) :) s:)

Jason I am ashamed!!!

aaronjb

Quote from: "uktotty"Is it wise to move the rears to the front etc?

Change them in axle pairs unless the remaining tyre is brand new, as Dan says. I believe the current advice is to keep the tyres with the most tread on the rear axle - because understeer is much easier to live with than oversteer (especially in a front wheel drive car) when you're exiting Tesco carpark..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

mrzwei

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Tesco car park! the most dangerous place on our roads! I'd sooner drive round the M25 the wrong way!
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

normanh

Sainsburys is not much better, I was reverse parking the other day at about 3-30 pm when a women drove across my rear between me and the row while I was reversing into, rushing to pick up the kiddywinks from school no doubt? Not possible to drive around the M25 either way cos of bloody road works m8 hehehe I know I have tried.

norman

VVT-i

The advice at the moment is that the better tyres are to be fitted to the rear, seemingly accident statistics state that most accidents are caused by the rear end stepping out due to worn rear tyres. That said, give it time and we will all be advised to put the new tyres on the front as accident statistics will state that most accidents are caused by severe understeer because of worn tyres on the front... it's just a question of gathering the accodent data over a certain time scale, it will always be one or the other.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

My personal opinion is to have new tyres fitted to the front as it is the front that does the steering. Of course, this doesn't apply to cars with larger rear tyres as standard as we can't rotate them anyway.

On the M25... being from Scotland I was under the impression it was a carpark, not a motorway... have I missed something???   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"Is it wise to change the pair with a puncture on a FORD?

Is that a Ford MR2 we are talking about Russ   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

uktotty

Quote from: "FGRob"
Quote from: "uktotty"Is it wise to change the pair with a puncture on a FORD?

Is that a Ford MR2 we are talking about Russ   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
LOL

Its a focus Rob

Tags: