Brake Discs & Pads - Buypartsby.co.uk

Started by ad_car_08, December 1, 2009, 00:15

ad_car_08

Hi,

I've been scouting round for the cheapest price on brake discs and pads - the best I've found is on  w www.buypartsby.co.uk w
Has anyone bought parts from there before? If so, how do you rate them? http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/

2x EBC Turbo Groove Front discs (vented)
2x EBC Turbo Groove Rear discs (vented)
EBC Greenstuff rear pads
EBC Greenstuff front pads

All for £292.02 delivered

What are your thoughts? I need to buy these (or perhaps from elsewhere if there are recommendations) ASAP - I plan to do the job next Thursday (10th Dec), so prompt advise would be really really appreciated!!  s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Barney Bear

Hi I recently purchased the same set of disc and pads from Demon tweeks think I paid about the same sort of money but might be worth a call as they have a sale on at the moment
nice disc as they dont go rusty around the edges only the plate if left for a while
one top tip I got from a member on here was buy some Rim wax for the alloys, although the green stuff pads are meant to be low dust not sure how true that statement is as at times seems to be more dust than the stock ones
but all that said glad I did the change sure braking is for better than before and they look pretty good to   s:D :D s:D
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

ad_car_08

Ah, my mistake, it's actually £300.64 delivered, just double checked   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I spoke to Demon Tweeks. Best they could do was just shy of £350 (inc VAT + delivery).
Even CTP can't beat Buypartsby.co.uk, with a quote of around £330 for OE replacements (whereas I see the EBC parts as upgrades)

Any other options?
[/size]

andywood

Seems a very good price, i got exactly the same set-up from EBC brakes direct for 314notes, that was after a discount code for 15% that i found on line (scoobynet i think!).

You will be very pleased with them, they look good and perform very well compared to the stock ones on my car that they replaced   s:D :D s:D  

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

ad_car_08

In that case, I think I'll go ahead and make the purchase then. Thanks guys!
[/size]

spit

Stainless Creations may still be able to do a good deal. Its a while since I set it up with them but Graydon is a very approachable chap.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ad_car_08

Talk about quick delivery, my brake discs and pads arrived this morning!

Is it wrong that I'm slightly excited by shiny new discs and pads?!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Behold...

B-E-A-utiful!   s:D :D s:D  

Highly recommend Buypartsby.co.uk!
[/size]

Anonymous

Breathtaking pics.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

ad_car_08

Quote from: "nelix"Breathtaking pics.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

ah...erm....ah...  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   can't seem to get them to work    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Planning to fit these next Thursday on a day off - I'll upload fitted pictures then
[/size]

roger

Quote from: "ad_car_08"ah...erm....ah...  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   can't seem to get them to work    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Flickr has 2 or 3 ways of uploading. Easiest for me to grab the .jpg on Properties and paste it into the site, with Img surrounding them.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Nice, are these the discs that rust resistant?  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

mrzwei

Nice one! I had to pay Mr 'T' over 300 notes just for the stock fronts (needed the certificate).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

andywood

Quote from: "BLUETOP"Nice, are these the discs that rust resistant?  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

These are what i have on mine   s:D :D s:D  
Swept surfaces will obviously rust when not used, but unswept surfaces seem to hold up pretty well to rust. My car is normally garaged but is used in all weathers and only rust appearing so far is down inside the vented areas which are always going to rust (worst thing is they spit rusty coloured water out over the wheels after i have washed them  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )
Over time the zinc plating on the unswept areas will no doubt give in to the unslaught of oxidation, but they are substantially more resistant than stock items, look better and perform very well.
You just need to get used to the noise after you first fit them!

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

ChrisHumes

fancy putting up a few pics when you do the install as a step by step guide?

i have the the same set up from stainless creations, good to deal with.

roger

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"fancy putting up a few pics when you do the install as a step by step guide?

No need - in Hows Tos, Spydermagazine, and I'm sure a few other places.
Roger

Barney Bear

glad you mentioned the noise Andy I thought something was wrong at first but month or so on seems to have gone either that or I'm just used to it now   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

got my local garage to fit mine with the tte springs at the same time as the service was due he only added £20 a corner as he said wheels and pads would have to be come off anyhow so was very happy with the extra £80 to do the lot   s:D :D s:D  inc springs

ad_car_08

"Noise"?!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

What kind of noise?
[/size]

Barney Bear

s:D :D s:D  sort of swishing but its not loud its just diff to stock ones and it does go away after a few miles
dont notice anymore but then again always being told my music is on to loud   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

roger

Quote from: "ad_car_08""Noise"?!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

What kind of noise?

Its the grooves - I am reliably informed.
Roger

ad_car_08

ah!

Unfortunately I can't hear much over the "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" sound of my power steering pump (presumably) eating itself alive, anyway!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[/size]

ad_car_08

I've just fitted my discs and pads - they look awesome & perform a lot better than I thought they would. I haven't been driving like a bat out of hell since, but I did notice they appeared to fade after warming up alittle on the 10min drive home from my folks, but didn't know if that was to do with them being new &still having some sort of coat on or something?? ANYWAY, to my question...do you still need to bed in brakes these days or was that something to do with old parts/technology? If bedding in is required, what's the best method of doing this? I'm concious of glazing discs/pads and warping discs
[/size]

ad_car_08

Anyone??
[/size]

Wabbitkilla

Just be sensible with them, a certain amount of bedding in is still advisable.
It's more to stop the disks from warping than anything else.

Which pads did you put in? Some are better than others for fade and i find greenstuff pads need a bit of warming up.
Whereas standard ones don't last as long with the grroved disks - but still a decent life to be expected as pads are harder these days anyway.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ad_car_08

I popped the greenstuff pads in, hopefully they'lll come into their own once they bed in. Thanks for your advice!
[/size]

Tags: