adjusting the steering (wheel)

Started by ad_car_08, December 12, 2009, 18:58

ad_car_08

Hiya, I managed to replace the later part of the steering rack today, to stop the annoying wobble in the steering (due to worn u/v joint). I tried so hard to keep the steering wheel straight and even tied the steering wheel to the passenger inside door handle to keep it still - took the car for a quick drive, steering seemed pretty straight, so I packed up &went home. Driving on my 10min drive home, I noticed the steering wheel is completely wonkey donkey when I'm driving straight - it was a right pain in the behind getting marrying the splines up and tapping the part into place, so I was hoping there was an alternative to taking it all apart to straighten the wheel up? With past cars I've been able to undo a bolt holding the steering wheel in place, slide it off the splines and move it round a little to straighten it up...but this is the first car I've had with an airbag. Is it possible to do that with the mr2??
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Anonymous

To remove and refit steering wheel you disconnect battery 10 mins before,park straight and undo the 2 star key screws on each side of the airbag to loosen and unclip electrics to airbag and put airbag down upright then with a pillow or cushion on top of the wheel so you don't smash your face in when pull hard on it to make it come off the splines and refit is opposite.

ad_car_08

When you say put the airbag "upright", do you mean it needs to remain tallside up with the toyota badge sticking out, or toyota badge sticking up towards the sky?
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Anonymous

Badge towards sky,I dont know why I think its a safety thing I read in some instructions.

Tags: