1ZZ turbo kit - not in a MR2,

Started by Anonymous, December 15, 2009, 12:13

Anonymous

Hi,

First of all Hello.  Been reading for a few weeks and it seems a good place to get info on the 1ZZ engine.  Secondly, I don't own a MR2 but I do own a Elise S, same engine.  Thridly, the car is getting turbo'd by Thor racing in January, its getting the stage 3 kit but with a few changes to their spec, mainly 630cc injectors with a Pro-Alloy charge cooler.  Should hit about 280bhp which equates to around about 245rwhp (ish) given a 12% correction ratio.  I do however have a question about BOVs.  I know that for the first few months after getting the car back I will love that noise but I suspect it will get tedious everyday, I also track the car every now and again so being able to get passed the sound police would be good.  So which BOV is relativley quiet?    

Also whats everyones opinions on the LINK G4 ECU?

muffdan

if you want a quiet BOV, get it a recirculating one fitted. You'll barely hear it!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Ilogik

Just make sure Thor fit it and Map it properly. Some people have had a good experiance with them, whilst they seem friendly enough they did a crap job of mapping my car 6 times on the trot.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

Apart from reduced noise is there any other benefitt in getting it re-ciculating?

Wabbitkilla

A recirc seems to keep the air filter a bit cleaner as you get a blast back out through it when operated.
Oh and they don't have to be expensive shiny things either.

That's about it really.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

muffdan

Oh, Link G4 is top class btw. I would recommend going for the Extreme rather than the Storm though. I ran out of outputs on my Storm and can't drive my water guage  s:( :( s:(

Very nice ECU with some great features. Be sure to get yourself the Knock Block and have it mapped in, along with an AFR sensor. I'd also highly recommend an EGT guage. Could get the EGT mapped in too for the hell of it!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Hmmm shiny things in the engine bay of your car....  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Will see how I go with a normal BOV, if it gets too much a new one will have to purchased.  Would be a shame to loose that lovely noise altogther.

Will be getting knock block and AFR sensor though it  all depends on how many outputs are left after anti-lag, boost controller and Lauch control.    Hopefully it will also be able to run my dash, alarm and immobilser so I can finally get rid of that very hard to tune lotus ECU.

markiii

have Thor ever fitted and mapped the link on the Elise

The elise uses a different ECU and loom setup to teh mr2 so its not as simple by any means

many suppliers of mr2 turbos ahve struggled when applying teh same approach to teh Elise

Jay Hass even got sued after grenading several engines
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "lotusfanboy"anti-lag
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Are you quite mad? That's bonkers overkill, and is going to be pushing it noise-wise for track use at some places... With that up and running, a noisy BOV will be the last thing you hear when changing gear!

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"have Thor ever fitted and mapped the link on the Elise

The elise uses a different ECU and loom setup to the mr2 so its not as simple by any means

many suppliers of mr2 turbos ahve struggled when applying the same approach to the Elise

Jay Hass even got sued after grenading several engines

I know all about the Hass kit and if my memory serves me right it was running a uni-chip and had a shit map.  Matt at silverstone performance does a kit as well but I know from conversations with him that he has had issues with the ECU.  Sinclair motorsport can get into the ECU but they are not to keen on doing the work and won't really work with me on it and give me exactly what I want.  I know thor  has a back out plan or at least in my mind they do that if they can't get it running right then it will eventually have to go down to sinclairs to get mapped.  There is issues with that though, I can't keep doing 400  odd mile round trip to sincs to get it mapped or worked on, I have to get off that Lotus ECU.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dan M"
Quote from: "lotusfanboy"anti-lag
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Are you quite mad? That's bonkers overkill, and is going to be pushing it noise-wise for track use at some places... With that up and running, a noisy BOV will be the last thing you hear when changing gear!

Errrr why I am being quite mad with getting anti-lag?

Anonymous

It just seems horrendous overkill for the power levels you're talking about running, not to mention the noise it'll make when it fires. It's going to be so much louder than any BOV discharge...

muffdan

anti-lag can be turned on and off though, BOV is there all the time!
Jason

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dan M"It just seems horrendous overkill for the power levels you're talking about running, not to mention the noise it'll make when it fires. It's going to be so much louder than any BOV discharge...

Yeah but think of the fun you can have when that BMW/AUDI/general rep car sticks to your arse in traffic, turn it on, bang bang , flames out back, Exec barge now at a nice distance from your arse.   Would make tunnel blasting far more fun as well, driving at night takes on a whole new experience especially as I live in the country with no street lights anywhere, complete darkenss bneing lit up occasionally with exhaust flames.   Cool

Ilogik

How much of a difference in price is there with fitting an audi tt engine? after you do everything you intend to to yours?

Ilogik

id be quiet tempted to put my own car up for sale if i had an elise and just buy something like this

m http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1140887.htm m

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ilogik"id be quiet tempted to put my own car up for sale if i had an elise and just buy something like this

IN theory you can't drop an Audi or a K20A engine in the back of a toyota powered elise due to differences in the sub frame.  I say in theory because you probably could if you could chuck enough cash at it.  I should make the same power for less cash by sticking a GT2560 turbo on mine.  

Yeah I could stick mine up for sale and get a Audi S1 or Audi S2 or even buy a newish Exige S with 240PP on it but I will still end up spending money on them to get them to where I want them.  Plus my wife hates the S1, look to cute by all accounts   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Ilogik

Quote from: "lotusfanboy"
Quote from: "Ilogik"id be quiet tempted to put my own car up for sale if i had an elise and just buy something like this

IN theory you can't drop an Audi or a K20A engine in the back of a toyota powered elise due to differences in the sub frame.  I say in theory because you probably could if you could chuck enough cash at it.  I should make the same power for less cash by sticking a GT2560 turbo on mine.  

Yeah I could stick mine up for sale and get a Audi S1 or Audi S2 or even buy a newish Exige S with 240PP on it but I will still end up spending money on them to get them to where I want them.  Plus my wife hates the S1, look to cute by all accounts   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Ahh hows your car looking now, im guessing not standard?  pics pics  s:P :P s:P  Do companies not do a direct supercharger kit or you dedicated to going turbo.

Reason I say this is, I went turbo, spent 1k on mapping, and it ended up putting me off the car so reverted it back to bone stock engine   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Just get the ecu and mapping done properly, my one bit of advice. Or it could end up getting very expensive if the engine goes.

Anonymous

My car is bog standard a part from a fancy pants exhaust and a rather agressive geo.  At the moment there is currently zero in the way of off-the-shelf kits for the Elise S.  There is the Katana kit for the 111R which seems resonably popular and produces good power using the Eaton charger.  However I don't like superchargers, they just don't have the same drama as a turbo and turbos can deliever more power I think.  Anyway, will see how things pan out and hopefully come feb I will have my 280bhp (240bhp at hubs) Elise.  Which, if my calculations are right, should take the car to 60mph in under 4 seconds. Enough to see off one of those Audi RS6 estate cars, especially the one in Leeds that left me for dead the other month.  

I have every faith in Thor being able to do it, they come highly recommended and seem very eager to do it and work with me regardless of what hair brained ideas I come up with, anti-lag for example.

Tags: