oil leak

Started by Anonymous, February 26, 2004, 18:43

Anonymous

Hi all

Had my misty headlamp replaced under warranty today and when I went to the dealer to pick it up they said they had found a small problem that oil was leaking from the timing chain cover (not sure if I remembered the exact technical term right). Apparently its not leaking massively but enough that it should go in for a full days work to fix it.

The dealer said this was a known problem where the engines were not sealed sufficiently in the factory and the work required involves resealing this timing chain cover.

Any one heard of this or am I being blagged? - At least it is getting done under warranty and they offered a courtesy car.

Cheers

Tom

Slacey

Steve seems to think my car is doing this, but after cleaning the area where oil could be seen it doesn't seem to have done it since, and the oil level is as it should, but I will get it checked... at the end of the day you aren't being charged as it is pulled in under warranty so I shouldn't worry.
If anything it sounds like you have a service concious dealer!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

mine did it slightly as did Steves first one, then stopped.

what oil are you using?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

using the oil that the dealer uses during the 1st year service...

Slacey

Mines the standard semi-synth too.

markiii

magnatec?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Quote from: "markiii"magnatec?
No idea, don't think so though.

markiii

in theory it's because the oil is too thin. magnatec is a main culprit for this when hot.

Slacey

Hmmm, I'll check with my dealer.

Comer

Mark have you changed your mind about Magnatec being ok for the '2?  

I've still got Magnatec in mine (2000 miles since oil change) but I'd like to know whether you've learned anything from having it in yours?
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

SteveJ

Quote from: "Comer"

Mark have you changed your mind about Magnatec being ok for the '2?  

I've still got Magnatec in mine (2000 miles since oil change) but I'd like to know whether you've learned anything from having it in yours?

I had a report from someone who worked for TRL doing long term oil testing (in of all things an NA MkII), and all GTX oils (Magnatec included) go very thin after a few 1000 miles, which is why myself and mark have stopped using it.

scottee

What oil do you guys recommened cus out of curiosity.

markiii

Anonymous

My engine warning light came on suddenly one day and the eventual diagnosis was this exact problem. The engine had used oil all it's oil in about 100 miles. It required a new tensioner and seal.

Seems to be fairly common place and I've not had any trouoble since it was sorted.

dave

Tags: