Snow tyres

Started by Anonymous, January 5, 2010, 00:46

trickyD

Quote from: "kentsmudger"Looking at SnowProxes yesterday and Camskill have the best prices, but no stock till about the end of the month

Did you end up buying these? How did they work out?
Very interested in a set...
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

kentsmudger

Quote from: "trickyD"
Quote from: "kentsmudger"Looking at SnowProxes yesterday and Camskill have the best prices, but no stock till about the end of the month

Did you end up buying these? How did they work out?
Very interested in a set...
Ended up with Kumho KW23 as they were nice and cheap (set of 4 currently approx £220 delivered) and available in Roadster sizes
- They have done 2 winters now (on a daily driver) and the rears are only half worn  - They really are excellent and mine have shown no sign of this sidewall splitting either - Much better than the Toyo T1R the car wears all summer

Here's a couple of my posts about my experience with them from other threads  -

l viewtopic.php?p=439865#p439865 l

l viewtopic.php?p=477656#p477656 l
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

trickyD

Brilliant, thanks for the feedback!
Are they facelift or pre facelift sizes?

Bits for sale!

trickyD

Pretty sure they don't make a Khumo 215 45 15 for the FL  s:( :( s:(

Next best option would be standard 185 size on front and 205 50 16 on the rear, that would get you Khumo KW23's all round, albeit with a narrower rear wheel and incorrect speedo (1.9% under i.e. 1.3MPH @70).
Might this upset the cars balance?   s:? :? s:?  

Total cost £266, delivered not fitted

Bits for sale!

topsyde

I bought a set of yaris T sport alloys 5'5 wide was going to buy toyo snowprox 205/50/15 from oponeo  site just found them they come in at £72 pounds each delivered.
Just 2 as only thinking of putting them on rear and using 185/55/15 on front normal tyres I have on my car this now but will have to take them of and put them on T sport alloys!

kentsmudger

Quote from: "trickyD"Brilliant, thanks for the feedback!
Are they facelift or pre facelift sizes?
I'm on pre-facelift wheels - If you can't get facelift sized tyres, can you get hold of a set of pre-facelift wheels? - They will still fit the facelift car
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

trickyD

Sounds like a recipe for oversteer to me :/

Bits for sale!

kentsmudger

Quote from: "trickyD"Sounds like a recipe for oversteer to me :/
Not sure why, my pre-facelift doesn't oversteer (Unless I really want it to!) - Facelift cars have a taller rear wheel, but lower profile tyre so overall not much change to the total wheel/tyre combo, just 1cm wider - Can anyone else comment on Toyota's decision to change wheels? Was it to do with extra weight from 6-speed or something?

trickyD

Sorry I misread you post Topside!
Was thinking you would put 185 on the rear!

Bits for sale!

trickyD

Quote from: "kentsmudger"
Not sure why, my pre-facelift doesn't oversteer (Unless I really want it to!) - Facelift cars have a taller rear wheel, but lower profile tyre so overall not much change to the total wheel/tyre combo, just 1cm wider - Can anyone else comment on Toyota's decision to change wheels? Was it to do with extra weight from 6-speed or something?

Sorry my fault!  s:( :( s:(

I think it was partially a handling / "safety" thing to go wider but the taller wheel was to do with resonance issues when doing a steady 70. The 6 speed box changed the cruising speed (frequency) as did the lower profile tyre and 16" wheel.
I'm paraphrasing, I think "loadsawine" knows

Bits for sale!

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "trickyD"
Quote from: "kentsmudger"

Sorry my fault!  s:( :( s:(

I think it was partially a handling / "safety" thing to go wider but the taller wheel was to do with resonance issues when doing a steady 70. The 6 speed box changed the cruising speed (frequency) as did the lower profile tyre and 16" wheel.
I'm paraphrasing, I think "loadsawine" knows

That's part of it for certain.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

topsyde

Hi all so what size do you all think I would be better going for other that 205/50/15 on rear on a narrower wheel 5'5 yaris T sport alloy?
It's an 06 plate I have so it's normally has the 16's on her rear!

trickyD

I'd say go as wide as you can, 205 should work fine

Bits for sale!

Tags: