2zz modifications?

Started by aaronjb, February 27, 2004, 17:39

aaronjb

Thinking a little way down the line (after my meeting with Mr Exige this morning  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ), and sorta just thinking out loud really;

Are any of you aware of any turbo'd 2zz's out there, either in the MR-S or Celica? I did have a search around on Spyderchat to see, but there are an awful lot of 2zz threads to wade through! (And I kinda got bored after an hour..)

I suppose there's always the 3S-GTE..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

There are a few turbo's celica's in the US but I've yet to see one that has proved the test of time.  Theres also two supercharged 140's and one 190 in the UK that are apparently running well but the 190 version is a JDM car and the fuel mapping is different to the UK. also the car isnt very old and he's on his second clutch already

you can also get the Blitz supercharger, but again this only runs the JDM car.  One of the Celica club guys actually paid for the Blitz through racelogic only to find it was U/S on a UK car because of the different ECU!
It took him a long time and  a lot of grief to get his dosh back

Supercharger wise the main UK company for s/c the celica is Japspeed in southampton.  Simons a sound guy and founder of the UK Celica Club (  w www.japspeed.co.uk w ) but make sure you have 6k ready  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Jap GT300

There is only one turbo'd 2ZZ MR-S in existence.  It was owned by of a member of SC known as MONOCRAFT1.

I will find some pics of his car for you.  It has been magazine featured in the US.

aaronjb

Hmm, shame - I thought more of the US guys would have gone that route.. But I suppose the MR-S is still new(ish) to them, and the 2zz conversion is fairly new too..

Just seemed like turboing the 2zz would be the perfect way of filling in the 'hole' at the bottom end of the torque curve - obviously it's a fair bet that there's quite a bit of work that needs doing before a 2zz will survive those kinds of stresses.

Maybe I should just get the other car fixed, and use that for my fill of turbo power.. It's just a bit on the lardy side to be throwing around country lanes or racetracks (although plenty of US owners AutoCross them), and I'm almost getting the hang of doing that in the '2 now  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

markiii

in all honesty if turbo is what floats you boat just turbo the 1zz, you'll get enough power, it will be smoother, and replacement engines are cheap.

if you want the 2zz, there are ways of smoothing it.

look at what a unichip does to the 1zz, get it to do teh same on the 2zz, but don't change the second cam map.

this will give you a much smoother torque curve with 190BHP at teh top end. obviously you could tune the top end ofr more as well, but then you'd still have the kick at 6000

I suspect this is what lotus have done on teh 2zz elise, as it still has the 190 output top end.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Jap GT300

I found the article I ws referring to:
 m http://www.superstreetonline.com/featur ... index.html m  

Plenty of pics of his Monocraft and turbo'd 2zz.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Jap GT300"I found the article I ws referring to:
 m http://www.superstreetonline.com/featur ... index.html m  

Plenty of pics of his Monocraft and turbo'd 2zz.

Hubba hubba! Now that's nice.. :dribble:

Also looks like it's had some serious wedge spent on it to achieve that, but still - that's a serious piece of high speed art.. Thanks for finding the link Adam  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

As bizarre as it may sound (knowing what I am like with mods  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ), I actually quite like that as it is not TOO low and looks like a real racing car. Now THAT appeals to me.........

aaronjb

*sound of Aaron fainting and falling to the floor

Are you feeling OK John?  s;) ;) s;)

markiii

looks like is about right. rice.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Jap GT300

This is what I like!

SteveJ

I seriously hope they don't drive it without the rear-brace   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

markiii

still all show.

Anonymous

Is it me or dose the picture show 2 air intakes one down the bottom of the rear bumper like the Civic style and another one stragth at the back of teh bumper looks like a HKS cone   s:?: :?: s:?:

Jap GT300

Very observant Buster.  That is a very strange design.  I know Beanie is making twin air intakes on SC but he has used a short and long tract with a valve that switches between the two dependant on acceleration.  I believe the two different tracts offer different advantages at different times.

Mark, I was only thinking of the turbo.  There are many cheap options out for the 2zz now it would just be making it fit.

aaronjb

Looking at that pic again, I think I can identify the three pipes that lead to the rear of the engine bay.. I think.

If you label them a, b and c, where a is the top one (dull silver), b the middle (shiny silver) and c the bottom (dull silver and you can only see a bit) then:

a = pipe from bumper mounted intercooler to throttle body
b = air intake
c = pipe from turbo to bumper mounted intercooler

At least that would be my guess.. I can't see a MAF in there anywhere either, so it must be running a MAP sensor instead (otherwise there'd be a MAF sensor in the short silver elbow in the middle of the pic - pipe b)..

That's my best guess anyhow  s:) :) s:)

Tags: