Oxygen Sensor (again)

Started by aluk49, January 12, 2010, 13:34

aluk49

Sorry if this is a bit of a repeat...  just want to make sure that I order the right part!

Warning light came on and its the P0141 code (Bank 1 Sensor 2)  I think this is the one that goes in the exhaust, not the two near the pre cats.  

I tried cleaning the plug contacts with spray, deleted the code... but sure enough, it came back after a few miles.

Is it definately that sensor kaput, or could it be possibly be some other cause?

reading through various post on here I came up with the sensor below from rockauto in the states for $92.79 (looks like there is plenty of wire length in the picture on web site)

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1564171  
DIRECT FIT,Post Catalytic Converter

$92.79   

I did find another sensor for the MR2 from that had a flange on it!  But I assume the one for the Roadster is the same screw in type that go in the Exhaust Manifold?

I bought a code reader, so I'll add my name to the list of people with them

thanks in advance

Al

ad_car_08

Hiya Al,

I had the very same problem at the back end of last year.
I was assured that all the 02 sensors are the same, after (stupidly) buying the wrong part number....the only difference being the cable length. With that in mind, I...
- whipped the old 02 sensor out that was causing the P0141,
- labelled and snipped the wire on old sensor,
- snipped the connector off new sensor,
- chocolate blocked the two together and BINGO...it's worked ever since

(touch wood!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

nathanMR2

Quote from: "ad_car_08"Hiya Al,

I was assured that all the 02 sensors are the same, after (stupidly) buying the wrong part number....the only difference being the cable length. With that in mind, I...

Glad yours is still working ok mate. Thought we hadnt heard from you in a while   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Where did you get your sensor from in the end?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

ad_car_08

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  "no news is good news" - that's what my mother always used to tell me   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I ended up buying mine from ebay -

"MR2 W3 1.8 1ZZFE ZZW30 DENSO LAMBDA SENSOR 89465 16080" from the seller "THE MOTORIST WAREHOUSE CAR PARTS" (If I'm allowed to be so specific?!)

Mine cost me a shade over £60 delivered, and of course I then had to cut and extend the wires.
I guess you take you're chance doing it that way and there's potential for the job to become more difficult than it needs to be, as there's a chance a wire might've broke, you don't connect the wires back up the right way or the connection on the chocolate block is a bit iffy....

I must say, I've noticed a difference in performance since I've fixed the problem   s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

spit

Al,

If you can wait a couple of weeks (which you can with a P0141  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), we should be adding O2 sensors to the RocShop very shortly. I'm road-testing a plug'n'play sample from a potential supplier at the moment and its looking good - although I'm waiting for the roads to clear so that I can give it some beans and see how it copes with v high exhaust temps.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"Al,

If you can wait a couple of weeks (which you can with a P0141  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), we should be adding O2 sensors to the RocShop very shortly. I'm road-testing a plug'n'play sample from a potential supplier at the moment and its looking good - although I'm waiting for the roads to clear so that I can give it some beans and see how it copes with v high exhaust temps.

Great idea if you sell them at the right price.

DannyN

Quote from: "spit"so that I can give it some beans

Can you let us know when this is going to happen as it'd be nice to she your old girl stretch her legs for the first time   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

spit

Har-de-har. Actually, I was just going to hand the car over to Ally for a few days   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aluk49

QuoteIf you can wait a couple of weeks (which you can with a P0141  ), we should be adding O2 sensors to the RocShop very shortly. I'm road-testing a plug'n'play sample from a potential supplier at the moment and its looking good

That's good to hear   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    Do you need a volunteer to help test one   s:D :D s:D  

Can you give an indication of cost? The one I am interested in is $93 (about £60)

I was about to order the one from Rockauto, as I am a bit worried about doing 40 miles a day in the car with the problem.  So, you think it will not cause any damage?

If that's the case...i'll hold on for a while, so long as you think that it will only be a couple of weeks.

thanks

Al

spit

If you just have a P0141, then the only real issue you face is that you could be masking another code. ECU resets will of course overcome that pending the light returning.

The brand I'm testing is NGK - plug'n'play but a slightly different sensor profile to the Denso and with the alternative wiring colours seen on some other cars (whites for heater instead of black etc). These have a proven track record in the Lexus camp so I'm pretty confident that they're solid. The one I have in the pipe at the moment is reading nicely according to my AFR gauge and voltmeter cross-check and the car is performing as it should.

As for price, I'll know where we're pitching later this week once our supplier returns with the price for the longer 3rd O2 sensor. I'd like to bring this in on a par with Rockauto but without those hidden surprises in terms of admin duties etc.

And, of course, sales through ROC will help ROC  s8) 8) s8)  .

cclarke99

I'm in the process of having  a sensor replaced as the heater has gone. The technician says that they have had problems with generic sensors and prefer to fit Toyota, despite them being much more expensive. Of course he may just be saying that for any number of reasons, I will try to find out more

spit

Your technician is not wrong. Some cheaper options have already been tried and rejected - some of them even before they've been out of the box! Its possibly true that you get what you pay for but there's a fair bit of middle ground where you can get close to the same for less if the product is right.

And lets not forget, almost every post here where a sensor has failed? .... its a Toyota-approved sensor   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

cclarke99

QuoteAnd lets not forget, almost every post here where a sensor has failed? .... its a Toyota-approved sensor

Can't argue with that, although the technician said that Toyota were no worse than anyone else in this respect, very comforting, having just thrown £300 at the problem. He did say that the MR2 and other Toyota engines (Yaris uses the same sensor) need a "quick acting" sensor to work properly and that they were more fussy about generic sensors than a lot of other makes. The quick acting sensor is distinguished by having coloured wires (e.g. blue/yellow) rather than the more usual brown or black. Apologies if this is old news.

spit

I've just been pointed to an ad on the Twos'R'us site showing a Denso sensor. It claims to fit the Mk2 and the MR2 Spyder. Physically that might be true, but just a quick heads-up - its only a 2-wire sensor   s:? :? s:?

steveybmr2-173

I will sit tight and be patient and order one when you release em on the club site Ste, to fix my pesky 0135 code, bank 1, sensor 1! have to admit on this occasion using the 'search' function did nothing but baffle me further on this one

spit

OK here is the news so far.

Struggling to find a NGK compatible sensor with the same lead length as the post-cat sensor. They stop at 660mm. Looking at options at the moment.

On the good news front, I'm informed that there have been no comebacks from any of the Lexus Club who have replaced their Densos with the NGK brand.

There is a supplier of genuine Denso sensors that bulk-buys and supplies under their own label. These are more pricey but cheaper than the badged ones. I'll sound them out too.

aluk49

Hi

Thanks for trying to source the Sensor Spit,  but as I will be doing a few extra miles in the next couple of weeks, I decided to get one now.  All fitted and fault erased from memory.  Done about 70 miles since yesterday morning and all ok.

Hope you can get a supply sorted through the club (though I hope I won't need another!)

If anyone is interested, got mine from "The Motorist Warehouse Car Parts" on ebay

MR2 1.8 00-ON DENSO LAMBDA SENSOR 89465 17201 33120

Exact part as I took off, even down to plastic clips for attaching to bodywork.  Cost £82.99 - free postage, arrived after 3 days.

Not sure if below link will work, as they don't appear to have any on ebay at the this moment.

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1688wt_772 m

Ebay advert stated "WE CAN BE CONTACTED THROUGH OUR EBAY EMAIL OR YOU CAN CALL US ON 01924 451277 / 01924 510000.

aluk49

Just to let people know, the sensor I purchased has been in use now for a few weeks, and has not shown any problems at all.

Stum...did you get one in the end, and is it ok?

Al

mr2jw

any news on the roc shop selling sensors? I need to get one. Thanks.
black 2000 roadster | devs keyhole covers | devs tbl visor | pre-cats removed | crystal side repeaters with chrome surrounds | lt short antenna | jdm front badge | jdm wheel centres | mr2roc sticker |
and lots more to do!

nathanMR2

I believe the club is still trying to source these.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

so which sensor is the one that caused the error code P0141 to show up?
mine still shows up even the sensor's been replaced and reseted...

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "hkenso"

P0141 is the 3rd sensor, the one near the main cat.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"

thank you very much, when the error code (P0141) appeared, it also says, "bank 1, sensor 2" so I thought
it would be 1 of the 2 from when you open up the trunk, since there's 1 on each side.

thanks again for helping...

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"
Quote from: "hkenso"so which sensor is the one that caused the error code P0141 to show up?

thank you very much, when the error code (P0141) appeared, it also says, "bank 1, sensor 2" so I thought
it would be 1 of the 2 from when you open up the trunk, since there's 1 on each side.

thanks again for helping...

The third one is down on the left as you look in the engine bay, and is clipped in next the the rear light.
The two in the manifold next to the engine which are easy to see are "bank 1 sensor 1" and "bank 2 sensor 1"

Tags: