Fitting Alarm (DIY Style)

Started by Jap GT300, May 26, 2003, 13:23

Jap GT300

OK I have fully fitted an alarm, apart from two wires.  In the instructions it says:
Quotelocate the wire coming from the ignition coil, With the vehicle battery disconected, cut the cable so as to leave both ends accessible.  Now connect one of the wires to each end of the cut wires

Do i physically go behind the dash and cut the cable or locate the appropriate fuse and make a connection there?  Does the ignition coil have a fuse or relay?

Cheers Adam

p.s. do you think it would have been better attaching the indicator wires to the fuse box rather than the wire on the indicators?

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Jap GT300"OK I have fully fitted an alarm, apart from two wires.  In the instructions it says:
Quotelocate the wire coming from the ignition coil, With the vehicle battery disconected, cut the cable so as to leave both ends accessible.  Now connect one of the wires to each end of the cut wires

Do i physically go behind the dash and cut the cable or locate the appropriate fuse and make a connection there?  Does the ignition coil have a fuse or relay?

I presume, going by this, the final two wires are for the immobiliser? Unless the unit has a seperate fuse for these two wires I would rather go behind the dash and cut the cable instead of shorting out the fuse.

Quotedo you think it would have been better attaching the indicator wires to the fuse box rather than the wire on the indicators?

Personally (and after having installed a very complex alarm on a previous car) I would have thought it best to attach the wires to the indicators. Two questions I asked myself when doing mine was: how much wire do I have and do I really want to start messing around with the fuse box?

Peter

Anonymous

1st question what makes the alarm?

2nd question is it Cat 1 or not???

Also if you have to wire the side lights up if the alram CPU has not got a fused light output then yes a fuse is needed but only an inline fuses after the fuse box. Most Cat 1's have a fused light output so all thats needed is to find side light wires in the loom and splice in.

The coil wire will probobly be fused not to sure tho but on most other cars they are. Also as peter said it's better to go behind the dash and work from the loom comeing out of the fuse box as less problems and easier to work with. you can noramlly take the coil feed from the ignition barrel. just like a fords, with 3 soldered terminals voltage test the terminals for each of the barrel stages tho   s:? :? s:?  

Failing that bring it down to JAE and i'll have a look but if it's Cliford im not touching it   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   best alarm to have are lazerline but thats just my point of view   s:D :D s:D

Tags: