windscreen chip repair and NCB

Started by creamykiwi, January 23, 2010, 10:50

creamykiwi

So this is probably a very newbie kind of a question... but i suspect a chip on my windscreen happened on my journey to work today. I didn't see anything hit and can't see a chip, but want to check it properly later just to make sure (I was late as always and had to sprint from car park to office, lol!) buuut...

if I need to get it repaired (not replaced, I'm fairly sure that'd count as an actual claim) if I use my insurance does it count as an actual claim and will it affect my no claims bonus? because i think i'd rather pay the £80-odd now than have my excess go up hugely and not be able to use my NCB next year... but i'm broke this month too! bear in mind i'm 23 and my insurance is quite high enough (and can't be protected till i turn 24/25) without me making it more  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I'm insured with admiral  s:) :) s:)

thanks all!

evileye_wrx

I think autoglass will do the repair for £50. Most insurance companies make you pay that as an excess but it doesn't count as a claim against your NCB. I'd read your policy first tho and check
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

creamykiwi

ahh, maybe they charged me £80 last time because the Micra was only insured third party fire & theft? thanks muchly, i'll check my policy when i'm home from work, was just flapping a bit. fingers crossed i'll get out there at lunch and find there's no chip  s:) :) s:)

StuM

Yep, replaced the windscreen on my wife's Arosa when some idiot (me!) shattered it pushing the rear view mirror on!  No affect on NCB, just paid a £70 excess.  

Repairs don't usually even require an excess.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "creamykiwi"ahh, maybe they charged me £80 last time because the Micra was only insured third party fire & theft? thanks muchly, i'll check my policy when i'm home from work, was just flapping a bit. fingers crossed i'll get out there at lunch and find there's no chip  s:) :) s:)
If you are fully comp you should be able to get it repaired free - normally, if you didn't see it right away there's a fair chance it's not going to need repairing - don't worry to much the windscreens are pretty tough on the 2.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I got mine repaired for free and no ncb was lost. Autoglass, came visited me at work, they were brilliant.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Natalie.MR-S"I got mine repaired for free and no ncb was lost. Autoglass, came visited me at work, they were brilliant.
You lost your NCB is that correct.

inert2k3

Quote from: "Natalie.MR-S"I got mine repaired for free and no ncb was lost. Autoglass, came visited me at work, they were brilliant.

+1
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

Chris_h

It shouldnt affect no claims bonus.

However, I had one repaired (free by an Autoglass man in a carpark) and ever since in my renewal notices it says 'claim: windscreen 2006'  which they say has no bearing on premium, but it annoys me!!
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "FGRob"
You lost your NCB is that correct.

Doesn't look like it.

If you can't see the chip it's unlikely to be a problem.

Call the insurance first if you want a chip repaired, they usually have a company they use and will only pay up to their agreed amount to any other company.
I had a chip fixed by Autoglass and then had to claim less than the full amount back from the insurance.

Far too much hassle, I should have called first.

creamykiwi

thank you so much for all the advice guys  s:D :D s:D  very reassuring!

fortunately, i've just sneaked out of work to check it and there's nothing where i thought there would be, and discovered the most miniscule of scratches on the passenger side, which I think will polish out  s:D :D s:D  so i'm muchly relieved  s:D :D s:D

Liz

Your insurance company will probably send you a form to fill in about your "accident", this is what I got from mine and I had to rack my brain for ages to click what the claim was about.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

creamykiwi

lol! thanks for the warning, that's the sort of thing that would make me very nervous if it arrived in the post! i don't think this one is going to require repairing as it really is barely there and took some inspection to find, but i shall store up all the advice for when i do get one... i'm sure it'll happen sometime   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

roger

There is a windscreen guy parked outside our Halfords most weekends.

Had a chip done, looked at my insurance cover note, looked the insurance company up on his list (NOT the broker), said "That's OK", and waved me on my way at no cost to me. So it pays to check your policy.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Heard nothing since, and that must have been nearly 2 years ago. No excess, no lost NCB, no forms to fill in. Excellent.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

ChrisGB

I have had a few repairs over the years. They usually are done for free or a small nominal fee, but you would need to check your policy to be sure. The insurance companies prefer you get a repair at a low cost to them rather than wait for the chip to spread where they then end up paying for a whole new screen at a much higher cost.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

philster_d

Dont most widsdcreen places, auto glass etc, do it free if it can be repaired. Or if they say no they charge you your glass excess for the replacement windscreen.

uktotty

Just get Gavin from Autoglass to come and inject his special resin into your crack!

onion86

My girlfriend is fully comp with Admiral. Had loads of chips in her windscreen (like 5/6) and I told her to get them sorted. She called up Admiral and they got someone out the next day to our house to fix them. They don't use autoglass (I think national windscreen repairs or something?) but it was free of charge and no excess required. The chips were there from before we bought the car. Pretty good. (Just for your future reference from someone with experience with your specific insurer).

What Phil's said is what I thought as well. So would've thought you just pay excess if you need it replaced, not repaired.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

creamykiwi

that's really useful onion86, thank you  s:D :D s:D  this is the first time i've been fully comp (sounds daft, but really wasn't worth it for my little 16 year old micra  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: ) and never been with admiral before either! very reassuring  s:D :D s:D

onion86

Quote from: "creamykiwi"that's really useful onion86, thank you  s:D :D s:D  this is the first time i've been fully comp (sounds daft, but really wasn't worth it for my little 16 year old micra  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: ) and never been with admiral before either! very reassuring  s:D :D s:D
no probs Carla, call me Stu btw  s:P :P s:P

Yeah my first car was a micra too, never bothered with fully comp on that either.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

creamykiwi

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  i wasn't paying attention to your name in your signature, was I?! and lol, having had a micra once seems to be a common theme on here... mine's now being used to teach my cousins to drive, as the oldest is 14 and the youngest is 6, it's quite alarming  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: