LSD

Started by Anonymous, June 25, 2003, 18:35

Anonymous

LSD
Any idea  how (easily if possible) to tell if a pre '03 had an LSD fitted (I believe they were an option)?  I ask because I've bought mine second hand, and the dealer mentioned Traction Control, and while obviously as a non-SMT '2, it's not got what you'd call TC, I guess an LSD could be desribed as TC (in a wierd sort of way).

Anonymous

I think all UK cars have LSD (thats what everyone says on here anyway). Its only some of the imports that dont IIRC

Anonymous

Yep, correct. Unless an import, all have LSD.

Anonymous

Blimey.  And there was me thinking it was standard only on the '03 models.  That would help explain why it goes round corners so damn well.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"Blimey.  And there was me thinking it was standard only on the '03 models.  That would help explain why it goes round corners so damn well.

Thats what i originally thought until everyone on here told me different!   s:o :o s:o

Anonymous

So, back to the original question,   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  How can you tell. Mine being German should alsi have lsd afaik but the proof?

mph

The only way to have real proof is to take the diff apart and look.

...however there is layman's way of finding if you have an effectively working LSD...

1) find a wet carpark with lots of space
2) add 4000-5000 rpm
3) select 1st gear and drop clutch

Result:
- one wheel spinning, and slight forward direction: no or ineffective LSD
- both wheels spinning, car magically facing 180degrees plus from where you started: LSD fitted & working

s8) 8) s8)
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

For some weird reason, Toyota didn't make any noise of the LSD on 2000-2002 models...but made everyone believe it came on 2003. Go figure why  s:) :) s:)

mph's test is a good and easy one  s:) :) s:)  Another one is to jack the rear up and see if the other wheel turns when you turn the other one. Or start the engine and "run" it a bit...without LSD the left wheel won't spin, only the right one will.

(NEEDLESS TO SAY, but be damn careful if you start the engine while the car is up!)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Tem"For some weird reason, Toyota didn't make any noise of the LSD on 2000-2002 models...but made everyone believe it came on 2003. Go figure why  s:) :) s:)

mph's test is a good and easy one  s:) :) s:)  Another one is to jack the rear up and see if the other wheel turns when you turn the other one. Or start the engine and "run" it a bit...without LSD the left wheel won't spin, only the right one will.

(NEEDLESS TO SAY, but be damn careful if you start the engine while the car is up!)

A slight flaw in this argument - the LSD is of the torque-lock variety, and hence only locks up when the car is under load - this is why if you lift off mid-corner, the car seems to turn in much sharper - what a lot of people seem to think is lift-off oversteer when in reality it is actually the car turning in as sharp as it is capable of rather than the LSD induced understeer.

SteveJ

Anonymous

Thats interesting Steve. I hadn't thought of that when it has happened a couple of times. Nice one!!! You learn a lot from this place don't you?!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

juansolo

QuoteAnother one is to jack the rear up and see if the other wheel turns when you turn the other one

This only really works with things like plate LSD's.  

Torque Biasing Diffs, sometimes called Torsen (though that is a brand name) or ATB's (Automatic Torque Bias, what Quaife call them) act like open diffs when not in contact with the road.  They work by directing the torque to the wheel that has the most grip, so when an inside wheel trys to spin the power is directed to the outside wheel.  This is done to a ratio, IIRC Quiafe's are 5:1 and once this ratio is exceeded the diff goes 'open'.  Though usually by this time both rear wheels are spinning anyhow so it's not really an issue.

What this does mean is that they don't work very well in the snow, ice or loose surfaces as this ratio is exceeded almost instantly.  But they are seemless, silent and ideal for road applications.

The donut test is the easiest way to prove you have one.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tem

Hmmmm...I'm pretty sure you can't keep the other wheel still when turning the other one. I remember trying to open the lug nuts after jacking the car up (yeah, silly me) and having a friend try to hold the wheel still on the other side. Oh well, maybe it was on the previous MR2...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

dancarbon

Phil if you don't fancy spinning your car in a car park, you could just look a the log-book, it should say imported by a private importer at the top if it is not a UK car, I also think a country code should be on a sticker somewhere on the car too - I think UK cars are E3, but I could be wrong.

Of course if you do find it's been imported then you'd better head of to Tesco   s:D :D s:D
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Cheers.  When I bought the car I had a HPI Check done that indicated it didn't have a DVLA import/export marker.  The previous owner was a UK dealer.  And there was no mention on the V5 of it being an import.  So I'm pretty sure it's a UK car.

As for the E3 sticker.  Have you any idea where it is?  The only sticker I can see so far is the "Made in Japan" one on the windscreen.

Anonymous

Quote from: "dancarbon"Of course if you do find it's been imported then you'd better head of to Tesco   s:D :D s:D
s:? :? s:?  

Don't get it.

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"As for the E3 sticker.  Have you any idea where it is?  The only sticker I can see so far is the "Made in Japan" one on the windscreen.

I got one of those Made In Japan stickers too!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Look for a nylon label (like the ones you get in the back of shirts) at the bottom of one of your seatbelts.

Mine says 'E4' so I guess that must be the code for a UK car.

--H--

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "Hardcore"
Quote from: "dancarbon"Of course if you do find it's been imported then you'd better head of to Tesco   s:D :D s:D

Don't get it.

--H--

Tesco = Big wide car parks. and circular black rubber marks.   s:) :) s:)  

Simon

dancarbon

Quote from: "Hardcore"

Don't get it.

--H--

So he can see if it will spin as described  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Found the E4 lable just where Hardcore described.

Cheers.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Tesco = Big wide car parks. and circular black rubber marks.   s:) :) s:)  

Simon
Bingo!

D'oh!  I'll get mi coat...

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

--H--

zud

In case anyone's interested in some extra reading about various types of LSD, take a look at this...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential5.htm

I was looking for an explanation and found this quite clear (starting from little/no knowledge of the subject).  The site as a whole explains all sorts of things, from car bits to kitchen appliances!
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

I learnt about LSD's from playing GT3!

--H--

SteveJ

Quote from: "Hardcore"I learnt about LSD's from playing GT3!

--H--

Mental note - avoid Hardcore on the road unless he thinks he on his last 'life'   s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

SteveJ

Anonymous

Are you trying to say that in real life you can't sideswipe another car at 150mph and drive on without any damage to your car whatsoever?...

--H--

Tags: