LSD

Started by Anonymous, June 25, 2003, 18:35

filcee

Quote from: "juansolo"What this does mean is that they don't work very well in the snow, ice or loose surfaces as this ratio is exceeded almost instantly.  But they are seemless, silent and ideal for road applications.

The donut test is the easiest way to prove you have one.

Then I think my 2001 SMT has one, because:

1. I can't get it off the drive when it snows.  My drive goes uphill, and as soon as the driving wheels get on the snow all forward motion stops - but the wheels don't.  

2.  If it is icy I can get it to start swapping ends by applying any amount of acceleration in 1st or 2nd gear.

I can't vouch for mph's donut test  - I've never attempted to slot it into 1st gear with a whole huge amount of rpm showing.  Guess I'm still worried about destroying the clutch by not being careful with the mechanics.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

I'm interested to find out what happens with the new SMT which has all the nanny buttons fitted ...
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"nanny buttons

s:) :) s:)

GSB

Quote from: "Hardcore"Look for a nylon label (like the ones you get in the back of shirts) at the bottom of one of your seatbelts.

Mine says 'E4' so I guess that must be the code for a UK car.

--H--

The UK car is in fact a European maket spec car fitted with a couple of extra bits at the port by Toyota UK (Roadster badge, alarm etc...), Hence my car that I bought in Denmark also has "e4" written on the belts. It has got an LSD though...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

mph

Quote from: "filcee"I can't vouch for mph's donut test
I would like to point out that a) this isn't my test; and b) I've never done it myself!   s:) :) s:)
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

filcee

Quote from: "mph"this isn't my test

Sorry, I didn't mean to implicate you in future cases of car park over-exuberance by ROC members   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Quote from: "mph"I've never done it myself!   s:) :) s:)

Shame!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I thought you would have at least tried it once - especially with all that loverly extra horsepower you now have ....

.... then again - repairs are at your own expense ....

filcee
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Hi,

I could not help doubting at times whether I had an LSD on my '2   s:?: :?: s:?:  

I think there's a way of checking the presence of an LSD by decoding the numbers and letters on the chassis' ID plate.

I had found a site that explained how to determine it for a Toyota RAV4 (my wife's car) but could not find it anymore...

Here's a link to a Supra owner's web site that provides explanations: (haven't checked the codes though...)

http://cjsupra.kendra.com/graphics/ModsPage/diffdeco.jpg

Maybe Toyota could check from the chassis/engine/tranny codes?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Could be useful if you're planning an import.

By the way, in some countries (Switzerland, France, etc.), when you import a car from outside the EU, you *have* to add the E4 labels on the seat belts...  

cheers,

John

Tem

Quote from: "phat"I think there's a way of checking the presence of an LSD by decoding the numbers and letters on the chassis' ID plate.

Have you read this?
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=929#12577 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: