0 -60 calculator

Started by Anonymous, March 1, 2004, 13:57

Anonymous

Was on the web searching 0 - 60 times as a Skyline eat my 2nd car thats an 300xz twin turbo but I am bedding in a rebuilt transmission. Was wondering what the difference was. This does work, you guys probably already seen this.

0-60 time =                        
weight of car in kilogrammes divided by maximum bhp of car * 0.9

Toyota MR2 which weighs in at 975Kg and has a maximum power of 138bhp.  Using our formula we calculate the car's 0-60 time to be 7.9 seconds, and the quoted figure is 8.0.

mmmm, spooky

James

juansolo

0-60 times are not a great way of measuring the relative performance of cars.  There are just too many variables.  Tyres make a lot of difference, as does having an utter disregard for mechanical sympathy and finally the drivers ability to change cogs swiftly.

Working it out with a formula simply wont work as it doesn't factor in things like gear and CWP ratios.  You can use something like an AP-22 type data logger.  But you will need an accurate weight inputting so it'd be best to get the car weighed, including petrol and driver to get as accurate a reading as possible.  This will give you as accurate a reading as you will get without using pro gear.  Then do several runs and average the results.

BUT...

In the end it's all pub talk anyhow and only matters in the traffic light grand-prix which quite frankly there are better cars for that than an Mr2.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

mmmm I know my 2 is not fast but it does make up for it in being very fun to drive, but the calculation does seem to match what Mr T says. Ive done the calc on some other cars and it seems to be right on the money.

If im at the traffic lights I make myself sick and do some freaky muscle spasms to loose that quarter of a pound to make me come 1st. mmmm something to think about

juansolo

Doesn't work for my Westfield.  Even in my dreams there is no way it'll hit 60 in 2.72 secs   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

aaronjb

Unless you renamed it KITT  s;) ;) s;)

James - I'd have a scan through Tem's threads if I were you, he mentioned a bit of software that can calculate all sorts of things given enough info on the car.. In fact, I have it myself somewhere, except I can't remember what it's called.. D'oh!

Car.. something.. gah!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

MRMike

Just for reference it's acknowledged that the MR2 is a good deal faster than the 8seconds Mr T quotes to 60.  The calculation looks like a simple PWR calculation (weight/PWR) with 0.9 there as a real world loss.  As Juan says there are lots of variables in a 0-60 which can't really be adequately covered in the 0.9 variable.  Not a bad guesstimate though
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

mmm I guess you guys are right, Had mr 2 serviced last month. its on 17k but I had the 20k service done just in case. They didnt change the airfilter and I now seem to have a rumbling coming from what sounds like a dodgy cv joint ? but its rear wheel drive ? a pickup truck nearly done me the other day it was a v6 until I put it into 3rd. When i 1st got her I was happy cos i stayed with a boxter off the traffic lights ( @ night and in a safe area)  Think im just getting 2 (nice punn) used to the speed. Think she needs new airfilter plugs or something. Dont realy drive her that hard that for my 300zx. I love my 2 but whats happening ?????

My 2 doesnt seem to have any respect on the road, i seme to have boyracers wanting to try their luck all the time.

james

Tem

Quote from: "j80rjo"Toyota MR2 which weighs in at 975Kg

Yes, the rule of thumb formula is old, but the car doesn't do 0-60mph runs in real life without a driver  s;) ;) s;)

Actually I've been using kg/hp myself, without the *0.9 and it's pretty dman accurate.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

mmm @ 11.5stone my 0-60 shouldnt be that bad, save me searching the threads anyone had a noice coming from the wheels when full locking it sounds similar to a cv joint on the way out ?

Anonymous

Quote from: "j80rjo"mmm @ 11.5stone my 0-60 shouldnt be that bad, save me searching the threads anyone had a noice coming from the wheels when full locking it sounds similar to a cv joint on the way out ?

Please do a search. Try searching for Suspension Top Mounts.

GSB

Heres a pointer...

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2248 m

You're looking for "Knock/clonking/squeaking on full lock" for a description of the fault you describe and what to do about it. Other than that, you're just gonna have to

and who knows what other golden nuggets of info you'll uncover?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

mmm, loads of info on it, top mounts and tires, probably combination of the two my front tires were on ambar when I had her serviced. MMM somthing for me to put to my man who looks at the car. It will sound like I know something about cars, mmmm well blag it ?

Anonymous

Erm .. In auto express says that the MR2 0-60 is 8.5?!  what exactly is it

Anonymous

depends on conditions, tyres, driver etc etc... ive seen something on SC that had it at under 6 seconds IIRC. 4car or 5th gear or soemthing like that say its 7 seconds.

MRMike

I've done a 6.7  0-60mph with the Gtech, and that was with a really slow gearchange (>1 second). I'd say its good for 6.5 if you rifle the change through double clutching.  Though i'm adverse to doing that in my own car!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

MRMike

This talk of comparitive performance, and 0-60 being meaningless got me thinking..so i went on the GTECH database and loaded runs for a few cars, with the same roll-out and compared them to the results I have on my GTECH software...for 0-60 and for overtaking...the results are quite interesting/sceptical/flattering (delete where appropriate!)

>>>>>>>MR2  /   350Z   /   04 WRX    
0-60mph   - 6.7     /   5.5       /  5.5

30-50mph - 2.657  /   2.295    / 2.309

40-60mph - 2.671  /   2.212     /  2.558

13% slower than a WRX 30-50? I'll take that...I know there pretty small incremental speeds, and the differential would increase over larger increments but still they're quite 'real world' overtaking speeds..

Quite interesting research nonetheless..As long as my car recovers!...  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Tags: