Short Shifters

Started by Jap GT300, June 25, 2003, 22:21

Jap GT300

Many people opt for the B&M as it is well known and easy to get hold of but I have found the TRD version for 18,000 Yen That is £90!

Visit:
http://www.poweraxel.com/trd/news/news2000/trd171.html

Adam

Slacey

That's a good price, I paid £120 for my B&M, but reckon it was worth every penny!
Good find though Adam!   s:D :D s:D
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

I don't have either...but according to ppl on SC, the B&M is a lot better than the TRD.

But then again, the ones who have TRD, like it as well. But seems that everyone who's tried both, says they like B&M more.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

My only concern over the B&M has been the "lean to the left" - fine if you're sat on the wrong side   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted: , but I'm unsure how much it affects those of us who sit on the right side.

I know markiii has a B&M, so I'll be taking a good look at that when I get the chance...

markiii

you see it, but in action you won't notice it. (the lean that is) as a short shifter it's the dogs danglies
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Quote from: "markiii"you see it, but in action you won't notice it. (the lean that is) as a short shifter it's the dogs danglies
I'll second that   s:D :D s:D

SimonC_Here

OK, I have to ask,
Other than something to do with the gearbox, what is a short shifter actually for?

Simon

markiii

gives you a shorter stick, with a shorter throw with a more direct feel when changing gear. The standard shifter is good compared to a lot of cars I've driven. The B&M is an order of magnitude better again.

It does all this by changing the pivot poit shortening the lever, and fitting metal bushing rather than the stock rubber ones.

Mark.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SimonC_Here

Excellent, thanks Mark.
I always though the standard one was pretty darn good, but "order of magnitude better"? I have to see one of these.   s:) :) s:)  

Simon

dancarbon

How hard are they to install and would it kill your warranty?
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

markiii

See;  m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2001/May/ ... ifter2.htm m

Its a piece of cake.

As for warranty is debateable that if you killed the gearbox or clutch they could claim undue stress, but I'd seriously doubt it, and it's not in your dealers intereest anyway as they get paid for warranty work just as much.

Slacey

Yep, real easy - even I did it in just over half an hour, the hardest part is removing the two centre console screws that are tucked in at the side of the seats!

markiii

take the seats out. It's only a 5 min job and you get far better access

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"take the seats out. It's only a 5 min job and you get far better access

Just be careful to not scrape the door handle with the seat bracket  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

followed Busters lead on this and wopped 2.5" off the stock gear stem with the trusty dremmel and job done!  Had the TRD quick shift in the celi but on the 'two' the cut method has given me a gear change much shorter than the TRD and cost...........zilch  :-) :-) :-)

Cheers Buster! your a star..again  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Tem

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Many people opt for the B&M as it is well known and easy to get hold of but I have found the TRD version for 18,000 Yen That is £90!

About the price in the first post...18,000 Yen is the list price. I'm sure you can get it for that from any place in Japan. (don't forget to add shipping + possible taxes)

Paid 14,400 Yen for mine  s8) 8) s8)

Jap GT300

Where did you buy yours Tem as I need one for the 2ZZ.

Thanks Adam

Tem

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Where did you buy yours Tem as I need one for the 2ZZ.

From Teiwa:
 m http://www.teiwa.co.jp/ m

...recently ordered a TWM though after reading a zillion post about how much better that is. TWM is practically the same as B&M and can be bought here:
 m http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshif ... ifters.htm m

Edit: TWM never bothered to send me anything though!  s:x :x s:x

Jap GT300

Unfortunately with the TWM I will also have to purchase the shifter cage as I have the SMT.

It will be easier to go with the TRD or B&M

Slacey

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Unfortunately with the TWM I will also have to purchase the shifter cage as I have the SMT.

It will be easier to go with the TRD or B&M
The B&M doesn't come with a cage either Adam, only the TRD does.

Jap GT300

Sorry, I had meant just TRD, which is what I have been looking at.

MTTE have them in stock for £110

Thanks Adam

Anonymous

For all you guys who own shortshifters,
Where did you get them from?

Do they sell the b&m shortshifter anywhere in europe (uk), or is Japan and the US the only options   s:?: :?: s:?:  

thanks in advance,

markiii

I bought my B&M from no limit in New York.

In the UK you can get them from Demon Tweeks.

Quite a view Max Muppet establishments sell B&M but would probably have to order the roadster/celica one in.

Unless you can get a much cheaper deal, I'd deal with Demon Tweeks,

w www.demontweeks.co.uk w

because the price isn't bad and their customer service is A1

you'll need to ring them because it's not listed on the website, but if you ask for a B&M for a 2001 and up celica it will be the right item.

Slacey

Same here, No Limit in the US, but as Mark has said Demon Tweeks stock them and are very good.

Anonymous

thank you for your help!

Tags: