Short Shifters

Started by Jap GT300, June 25, 2003, 22:21

GSB

Just thought I'd pitch in here...

I installed the TRD quickshift last week, and I have to say I quite like it!

The fore/aft throws are greatly reduced, whilst the left/right movement appears to have remained the same. Also it feels far more direct. It was pretty good to start with, but this just makes it that much better  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

A recommended "subtle" modification, especially if you use the standard gearknob as I have, rather than the TRD one that comes supplied with the kit.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"I installed the TRD quickshift last week, and I have to say I quite like it!

Just curious, have you had a chance to try other short shifters...?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Not yet...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I bought mine from Rob in NY, No Limit motorsport. And i am 100% happy  s:D :D s:D  
I cant believe the difference, i thought it would be only better in the feel of the change but it really is faster, instead of CLUNK...CLUNK you get a clickclick  s:D :D s:D   Im sure those with the B&M installed will know what i mean.

Buy one, coast £105 shipped, fitting takes about 1hr 30min  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Even for a novice like me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

GSB

Just to add to my input. I've since driven my TRD, a B&M and the stock items back to back...

My vote goes with the TRD. The B&M is good, and even shorter than the TRD, but it was difficult to use until you'd done a few changes, you get used to it, but you couldnt get the best out of it straight out of the box. I like my mods to flatter my piss poor driving skills, the B&M needs a little effort, practise, and thought to be put into your changes, which for me at least, makes it not as good as the TRD, which feels immediately at home.

MRMike

Had a quick look, couldn't find anyone that had one of these, but these look a bit of a bargain. (Look identical to the B&M to me) Some users on spyderchat have them and say they are great..quality looks pretty good as well.  

m http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33736 m

EDIT: Sorry i'm a complete and utter tool (Even posted in that thread)   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... rt+shifter m
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Guys, does the TRD version have any 'lean' like the B&M does???

Anonymous

Cheers Bongo!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "perry190"followed Busters lead on this and wopped 2.5" off the stock gear stem with the trusty dremmel and job done!  Had the TRD quick shift in the celi but on the 'two' the cut method has given me a gear change much shorter than the TRD and cost...........zilch  :-) :-) :-)

Cheers Buster! your a star..again  s;-) ;-) s;-)

The TRD QuickShift hasn't just got a shorter shaft, the whole frame sits higher (on top of the metal spacers) to accomodate a longer shaft underneath. The results are a 20% shorter (and less rubbery) gear action/throw and a gear lever that doesn't stand miles away from the steering wheel (Taking 2.5" off the shaft is probably not much better than stock from a "performance" viewpoint.)

I've actually fitted the TRD QS 6 sp. gear model (works fine for both 5 sp. and 6 sp. gear boxes). It works great on my C56 close ratios gear box.   s:P :P s:P

Tags: