Track-Day Noise Limits

Started by kentsmudger, February 1, 2010, 00:59

kentsmudger

Can anyone tell me the procedure used to check noise levels at track-days. I am booked to go to Brands Hatch on Friday, and the driver's info pack states - "Your vehicle must pass a static noise test of 105dB". There is no mention of a drive-by test on the track, as used at some circuits.

We do public address systems at work, so I borrowed an SPL meter tonight to check mine. Standing directly behind the car about 1 metre away, we recorded 75dB at tickover, then revved up to about 6,000 rpm (engine nice and warm after driving 30 miles to work) and got 102dB. This was in the open air in the car-park, but not very far from a building, so there may have been some reflection adding to the measurement.

I know the scrutineering bay at Brands is in an open-ended shed. If they test inside this, the level recorded may be higher.

I am concerned that I may be a bit close to the limit, although I realise that the scale is logarithmic, so maybe not that close. Does anyone know how close to the car they measure from or if the test is at full throttle as we did?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Anonymous

0.5m from exhaust at 3/4 max rpm. You'll be miles under with your setup, don't worry.

markiii

indeed bear in mid that db is lgrithmic, each 3db is a doubling of volume.

The loudest Hass turbo only just reached that noise limit, so on an almost stock car you will be fine
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kentsmudger

Thanks for that - I was hoping that was the case!
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Tags: