Windscreen pillar weatherstrip advice needed

Started by vatovey, February 5, 2010, 12:49

vatovey

Afternoon,

Was wondering if someone could advise me, I have an early(ish) MR2 Roadster, manufactured in 2000 (W reg) which I have owned since around August 2009.

The car did initially have a few small problems when I bought it, but for the most part they have been sorted.

I do however have one outstanding issue which I haven't/can't fix (YET !!!).

I think it's relating to the rubber weatherstrip on the windscreen pillar, when the car is driven over around 30 mph I get wind noise on the drivers side, the passenger side is perfect - no wind noise at all.

Upon inspecting the seal on both sides - with the doors closed, the rubber on the passenger side seems a very tight fit, but on the drivers side - for the most part it seems a good fit also, but one part near the drainage channel seems to be a poor fit - this is where I believe the wind is making noise, I have taken a photograph to show where I believe the problem is.

What I am looking for essentially is some advice as to what I need to do to repair, or what parts would I need to replace in order to fix the fault.

I have already tried removing the weatherstrip and refitting, I have also tried altering the angle of the glass window in order to create a better seal - both failed, but altering the glass did make a big difference.

I have done a number of searching relating to weatherstrips, unfortunately... none seem to point me in the right direction.

spit

Ahhhh. Old age   s:D :D s:D  

Sounds like you've done most of the sensible stuff.

Keeping the seals nourished is a good idea, and bumper cleaning gel can help bring back some of their integrity if they're starting to weaken.

Worst case, I think (but can't confirm right now) that you can get a new seal.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

vatovey

i did apply gummi fledge to the rubber a while ago as like you I thought the rubber needed sprucing up, didn't fix it though.

I have had a quote from my local dealer, they wanted £97.91 for a new weatherstrip, which is silly expensive for a piece of moulded rubber...

spit

Oh well ....  s:D :D s:D  

On the cheap front, the other immediate option I can think of would be to look at your soft-top (? and hard-top) seals in tandem with what you're doing on the pillar. Obviously, the rising window engages with those and this'll affect its closed position.

Stick at it, and let us know if you find a solution that doesn't involve turning up the music   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

vatovey

problem is exactly the same with both the hard and softop's  s:( :( s:(

Am going to email a few Toyota dealers, see if one of them can offer a weatherstrip for a reasonable price.

Do the club have any dealer discounts in Wales ?

businessconsult

I just put the top down and the noise always goes away.

spit

Quote from: "vatovey"Do the club have any dealer discounts in Wales ?

I don't think so, but if you mention your Club membership they may offer a percentage.

Oh, and try our affiliate CTP first

vatovey

Fixed this problem - got a new weatherstrip seal, fitted it all yesterday, no wind noise now   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Tags: