Decat manifold

Started by vatovey, February 5, 2010, 23:21

vatovey

Evening all,

Thinking about decatting my MR2 in a few months, probably with a new cat free manifold.

I've found one on eBay, could you advise if this is decent - or a pile of poo, or whether there are better options available for a similar price.

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-Roadst ... 518fcfc905 m

Cheers, Vaughn.

uktotty

Looks cheap! How much is a Che Manifold?

E

Not sure about that one mate but this is the one I bought and have been using for the last two years with no problems, I believe that it is a Che manifold.
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/00-07-Toyota-MR2- ... 5885d6fbe2 m

E

Forgot to add if you go for this one, do not use the Head to manifold gasket that they supply as it is rubbish and will probably leak after a short time the original is excellent and should be perfectly re usable.

Anonymous

We fitted on of these without trouble using the original gasket as mentioned.
James

vatovey

apologies for the dippy question, I notice on the ebay advert 'E' posted it says the manifold is for the later MR2 version, whereas mine is the earlier version made in 2000 - will it still fit ok ?

E

Yes it fits any Roadster 00 - 07 they are all the same manifold.  s:) :) s:)

uktotty

The MR2 Roadster is the latest MR2 Version, its the MKIII, before that was the MKII and the MKI  s;) ;) s;)

stargazer30

Quote from: "E"Not sure about that one mate but this is the one I bought and have been using for the last two years with no problems, I believe that it is a Che manifold.

Guys, does this manifold need to be wrapped or does the stock heat shield still fit over it.  Also does the o2 sensor throw up a code due to there being no catalyst?

If yes to the above I'd be better off getting a 2nd hand stock manifold thats been gutted already?

David
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

mrzwei

If it is a Che then it will have all of the attachments required for the stock heatshields. Some choose to run without them and some may well choose to use wrap. Mine didn't throw a cell and I don't remember others having reported any problems. The main cat gets it through the mot.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

vatovey

sorry - I meant pre and post facelift.

Anyways, I have purchased the one 'E' suggested, will fit it after my MOT in March when the weather gets a bit warmer.

andywood

Why not just gut the pre-cats from your existing manifold and have very little or no cost????

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

mrzwei

If the only issue is cost, then you are right. The results from one of the dyno days also showed a bhp gain from the che, plus it is lighter.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

vatovey

I thought about simply gutting the existing manifold, but if something does go pearshaped afterwards in terms of emissions then I would need to get hold of a new set of pre-cats, or a new stock manifold with pre-cats included, which would cost ALOT more than £130 I think.

This way, after installation of new Che manifold, if everything is ok - I can sell my stock manifold with pre-cats included, and if I'm lucky - it may cover the expense of the Che manifold.

Anonymous

No chance - you will be lucky to give it away.

The pre-cats have no real use in this country except to destroy your engine, it's only in America where they are required for cold start.

Using a stock de-catted manifold brings issues with it as well, not the best gas flow and therefore can bring problems.

Rob.

vatovey

k, didn't realise they were worth little to nothing  s:( :( s:(

Nevermind, I guess I'll keep it just incase I need/want to take the car back to stock.

andywood

Quote from: "FGRob"Using a stock de-catted manifold brings issues with it as well, not the best gas flow and therefore can bring problems.

Rob.

What issues are those Rob?? I was not aware of any known problems people have encountered - did i miss something?

Andy
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

DannyN

Quote from: "andywood"What issues are those Rob?? I was not aware of any known problems people have encountered - did i miss something?
Andy

Andy its just the fact that you've made 2 large vacuous areas for your exhaust gases to bounce around in instead of exiting straight out
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

Mine runs sweet.

diddy

what are the benifits from the stock manifold with pre cats gutted to the che manifold i really cant see and difference between the 2 apart from the che maybe lighter but is it really worth it?

mrzwei

A dyno day on here a couple of years ago showed a definate bhp / torque improvement with the che manifold over the stock. also, as you say, it is lighter and it looks better. This sort of tuning is always going to be incremental and there are even better manifolds out there which others have used. It can be a pain in the arse swapping because the nuts and bolts will have a degree of corosion so you have to prepare for that with something like plusgas. The gasket supplied with the kit is not good so you have to use the oe part. If you search something like 'che manifold' then there is a moutain of info on here about this mod. Nobody has had any problems with just removing the precats from the stock manifold and there is a very informative thread, probably by Mark, on how to do this. This involves taking the manifold off of the car so the same 'sods law' issues arise. If I recall correctly, a couple of people have had the precats removed with the manifold in situ.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

t-bone

Quote from: "stargazer30"
Quote from: "E"Not sure about that one mate but this is the one I bought and have been using for the last two years with no problems, I believe that it is a Che manifold.

Guys, does this manifold need to be wrapped or does the stock heat shield still fit over it.  Also does the o2 sensor throw up a code due to there being no catalyst?

If yes to the above I'd be better off getting a 2nd hand stock manifold thats been gutted already?

David

IMO you never want to wrap a header. you will get a very temporary heat containment that will feel great BUT the metal in the manifold will overheat weaken and ultimately the metal will fatigue such that the wrapping is the only thing holding it together. You are much better off spend a little money for getting the header coated. wrapping is bad regarding manifolds and if you read the fine print of the wraps they say it is intended for other applications such as keeping intakes cool etc....
2004 Red MT. JDM badging, Door Inserts, Dev\'s Keyhole covers, Goof-off visor airbag sticker removal, TRD quick-shift, Speed Source shift bushing, Speed Source shift knob (190g red), Corky\'s breast plate, Che FSTB. Thus far.

diddy

its exacly how i done my pre cats manifold stayed on i just remove the 2 lambda sensors, took the cat of underneath and used a very large screwdriver job done.

Anonymous

I got one off ebay for 80 usd (black ceramic coating) and works well, e.g. works as a header  s:) :) s:)

No need to buy 300-400 usd headers in my opinion.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Muniek"I got one off ebay for 80 usd (black ceramic coating) and works well, e.g. works as a header  s:) :) s:)

No need to buy 300-400 usd headers in my opinion.

No it's more like 300 - 400 GBP and yes there is a need if you want better performance.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: