PE Turbo

Started by Anonymous, March 2, 2004, 09:23

Anonymous

Jap GT300

153 Haiwaii was selling his cheap on SC if you have a look.  I believe that it was never installed.

I've also had terrible communication with MTTE no delivery ETA for my short shifter or any response at all.  I am tempted to cancel my order if he ever reads his emails.

markiii

If you rule out the TTE, then teh PE probably is the best of teh bunch.

On a manual it can be pretty much a bolt on solution, see mrs_turbo's install. Though preferably it still needs a proper dyno mapping.

The price is alos good.

the downside as far as I am are concerned is the 02 sensor placement. 1 02 after the turbo isn't ideal. TTe solution should be sligjt;y better.

Pe doesn't come with an intercooler, TTE does. PE will void your warranty, TTE won't.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I'll be waiting for the TTE.  I hope we will see it soon, but i'd prefer to wait as its a much better deal.

If not then i'd go with the PE.

Anonymous

Anonymous

i would be more inclined to go with the PE as TTE seam to be kicking there heels a little as with the price of $4000 and the interest rate the way it is you cant go wrong.

Fueling is a issue but give it to a decent Tunner and put it on the rollinf road for a few hours and it will perform just as well as the TTe in my opinon

Anonymous

Yeah thats only about £2000 right now, thats a bargain.

Millway charge about 2k for fitting and tunning...   I almost tempted myself...

Anonymous

GSB

Perry, Having applied all of 30mS of thought to your conundrum, I'd say go for it...

You only live once, and if you dont do it your Mrs. will only make you spend it on a new kitchen anyway. Either way, you'll be down by £4 grand. Buy the turbo, and remember that Tesco's sell microwaves for £50 these days...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "perry190"I';ve looked at Apexi etc but there still appear to be fuelling issues

What issues?  s:? :? s:?

Or do you just mean that the stock injectors and ECu can't handle it?  s8) 8) s8)

I've been looking at Apexi myself, but will wait for the TTE before making any decisions. Apexi comes with intercooler and roller bearing turbo...and can be had from US for $3200:
 m http://www.garagegt.com/shop/scripts/pr ... tegory=608 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Anonymous

if i was you i would still go for an intercooler ! more reliabilty for the Turbo is what a lot of my whizzy mates say ! so im going with that LOL

Also you could either get a small battery no wories there so that the normall intercooler will fit or go somwhere like a skyline Tuner's where they will make you one fore around £400 ! sound a lot but they will provide tubing and all fit it for that !

Anonymous

aaronjb

You've got to think that £2k either comes from them not wanting the job or the fact that they know it's not as simple as it sounds - I believe Millway ended up doing a lot of development with Martin above and beyond what comes in the turbo kits..

Probably worth speaking to Martin about that, though (I'm sure he'll appear shortly, I've mentioned his name..  s;) ;) s;)  )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

actually fitting the urbo is easy.

hand tools and some time and you could do it yourself.

wiring in the piggyback is harde but again not rocket science.

Making it all work and tuning it is where the talent is.

The fact that Martins doing an SMT, and full custom exhaust e.t.c is adding complications that aren't inherent to the kit itself.

would imagine that for 2k Monkeywrench will tune it on teh car for you as well. Not jus go with the stock maps.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Jap GT300

001 then drop their first 0 if they have one.

Anonymous

Quote from: "perry190"The PE works out at about $4000 inc full kit, greddy e-manage pre-programmed and freight to the UK. All items are in stock and ready to go.

The intercooler is required for boost over 4.5psi which ups it by another $1100 + $140 for a fuel pump (required if over 4.5 psi)

I dont expect any warranty issues with the dealer I use as he is very understanding  "what turbo"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

TTE would be my preferred option however the time scales for a Toyota warrantied turbo seem very very vague????

I ran for 10months with no intercooler at 6.5psi with my PE and pre-programmed e-manage. No need for bigger injectors, pump or anything at 6.5psi not 4.5psi. At 4.5psi it is stated and tested by PE that the stock ECU can handle the pressure, but i for 1 would rather have the ability to adjust things right.

4.5 psi isn't enough power really,so the TTE turbo will leave you wanting more IMO so you'll turn it up and bye bye warranty,or you'll wait 3years knowing there's so much more potential available but it's untouchable. Intercooler wise that is alot of money, check out the aquamist at £500 it works excellent or ring these guys they will custom build you a chargecooler for not much more.
 m http://www.paceproducts.co.uk/automotive-parts.shtml m
Was going to have 1 done but the aquamist is just so good on it's own.

The PE can be fitted in an afternoon EASY with a simple bag 'o' spanners and a trolley jack. The maps MWR give work great, if it's alot cheaper for a non pre-programmed unit i can give you their maps.

markiii

teh TTE is rated at 180-200 BHP so while you may want more, it's going to be seriously quick just with that.

on another note, Perry have you looked at insurance for the Turbo conversion?

Anonymous

Cause you will. That's only flywheel power and a bet it's alot nearer the 180bhp at 4.5psi. The power increase is amazing from 4.5 upto 6.5psi.

In my opinion if you can be bothered to pay out all that money for extra POWER then you'll want the best out of it. 4.5psi isn't it.

This is my opinion ONLY if you think that 3.5k for 40-50bhp is good then great, go for it.

Anonymous

markiii

bang for buck, I don't disagree.

big issues with the TTE,

a) I can get insured at very little extra cost (including the value of the kit)
b) The 02 sensors are better placed
c) Intercooler included
d) full consequential warranty, if it blows your engine up they will cover it.
e) won't affect the warranty of the car itself.

now bare in mind that this is with the stock main cat and exhaust.

you could probably realise another 20bhp by changing these elements.

Anonymous

Quote from: "perry190"Cheers guys

Ref   Insurance no i havnt, but to be truthful I'm with with a very mod friendly insurer (DIG) and I'm an old fart with 9 years no claims so the rise should be negligable.  To be honest I'll pay what I have to as the car although great does not perform to match its looks, no gain without pain unfortunately   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'm assuming that I will also need a boost controller and turbo timer as well on top of these costs?  also did you uprate your fuel pump in the end?

Boost controller, well you can get a manual bleed valve for hardly anything, but if you do go the e-manage route then you know you'll want the profec EBC.Turbo timer, if you like and are impatient and don't want to sit with the car for a few mins while it cools down.Fuel pump well it's on my to do list(see sig) but this is only because i'm going up on the psi scale  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Tem

Quote from: "perry190"Thats right, if you go for the Apexi, as far as I understand it you still need to purchase the Greddy E-manage or similar, also the Intercooler doesnt fit a UK spec car unless you also buy a smaller battery.

Yes, you need some controller for Apexi as well. I've been thinking about the Apexi Power FC myself, but I understand that's not so common in UK. You can get that preprogrammed for the turbokit as well, apparently even with no extra charge.

You can also get an optional boost controller for the PFC that allows you to set the boost through the Commander. Or set it to automatically use different boost for...like less boost for 1st gear, if you have trouble with grip. And a bti of extra boost for short period from a switch, when you need it...and...well...I must wipe the drool now  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

And yes, you can also get electrical boost controllers for PE  s8) 8) s8)

I don't know about it not fitting a UK car...you have a bigger battery than in Japan?  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: