PE Turbo

Started by Anonymous, March 2, 2004, 09:23

Anonymous

so I believe yes, the celica defo has

mph

My thoughts:
  • You mention lightened flywheel, yet no uprated clutch; you *will* need an uprated clutch..
  • No problem with PE-T on '03.
  • Nothing wrong with Greddy E-Manage. However IMO, it's more important to find a good tuner and see what they prefer to use, than choose the ECU and find a tuner that knows how best to use it.
  • You *will* need an intercooler or water injection.
  • If you intend to run sensible boost (ie ~0.5bar) you will need uprated injectors to ensure you're not running them beyond 85% nominal.
  • Regarding Millway:
    • I don't speak for them, anything authorative talk to them directly.
    • We had mucho problems with both the SMT and fuelling which took a lot of man-hours to sort out. Having done it once, piece of cake to do again; therefore any such monies I paid out isn't representative of what someone else would.
    • Hedley doesn't have the software nor the experience with the E-Manage. Programming ECUs is a bit of a black art (explained elsewhere). See above comment about ECU purchase..
  • Boost control. In an ideal world, this is best done solely with just an actuator. Adding bleed valves and electronic boost controllers are just a means to patch a poor actutator setup. I was going go all electronic until I was enlightened. All part of the selling hype, much like the 'requirement' of dump valves.
  • TTE Turbo. This *will* be appearing this year and it's still schedule for H1. It's been quiet as there hasn't be much to report.
  • Personally I'd wait for the TTE kit and be happy to live under its warrantee. In fact I'd go as far as saying I'd sell my current setup (as good as it is) so I could buy the TTE version, even if it is less bhp overall.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "perry190"
Quote from: "markiii"now bare in mind that this is with the stock main cat and exhaust.

you could probably realise another 20bhp by changing these elements.

is that not the same with any turbo kit tho?

Cant argue with the warranty issues tho

true,

though virtually everybody in teh US whos gone PE has managed to overfuel sufficiently to knacker thier cats. With teh TTE you can keep them if you want.

or remove if not.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

It's not a TTE speciality with the cat being able to stay on

You have to add more fuel for a turbo so it can easily happen, and it's the extra heat aswell. It will happen with the TTE it's just no-one has it yet to show this.

They aint miracle workers at TTE, they just seem to be able to tell convincing stories! Well some seem to be convinced by them.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  Proof is what we need.

markiii

agreed, but if they break it, they replace. ain't warranty luvly

Anyone got an idea how muych a custome turbo manifold would run?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

DAZ400

Ok my views on the subject.

Yes the jap cars have a smaller battery than the UK so not as much room in there.

IMO the Aquamist WI is so good that an intercooler is not required just ask subaru ralley team for their thoughts.

Yes ideally for 6.5psi you need a good supply of fuel, Ian & I bought the racing fuel pump from MWR and I have fitted mine. For higher than 6.5psi then bigger injectors are probably required.

The greddy is a superb piggyback ECU and any tunner will be able to tune it, at the end of the day it is just a fuel & Injector map 16x16 and is just like any other mapping. Ian & I have done a lot of reaserch lately and with a A/F ratio meter and a knock sensor we can do our own tuning which benifits us from the knowledge and understanding of our cars.

The Apexi kit is fine, if bought without the the intercooler and will fit on a UK car fine, mine was only a problem because it was an SMT and we fitted the intercooler (before I had WI).

For none SMT cars then you have more options you could go with a complete ECU swap no wiring plug and play this was my first option but the engine ECU was tied to much to the transmission ECU on my SMT. However in the end I fitted my greddy e-manage and profec and was very easy and very pleased with it.

As for the TTE I have my doubts as to actually achieving a worthwhile result, also who fits a Turbo and does nothing else to the car nobody and you only need to mod one thing and Mr T could say modded car no more warrenty.

Hope this helps Darren...........  s:D :D s:D
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Anonymous

well thanks for all your comments and advice guys, obviously ultimately I had to make my own descision on all the facts available and my personal preferences.

So

I've just ordered the PE ported turbo kit, pre-programmed Greddy E-manage and Uprated fuel pump.

I'm presently trying to source the best price on a GREDDY Profec e-01 (Elec. Boost Controller) and I will make a descision on the Aquamist/Intercooler side once I have spoken fully with the guy who's going to be fitting it. (aquamist being my preference)

Its a great relief to make a descision, even if its not to my wallet !  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

Congratulations, you'll not be dissapointed. Check here for profec cheapest i've ever found.
 m http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/index.html m

And mark just as a guide MWR have a custom manifold here, if you haven't already seen it.
 m http://monkeywrenchracing.com/turbo_per ... zz_fe.html m

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"Anyone got an idea how muych a custome turbo manifold would run?

Custom manifolds are going for around 200 euros over here...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

DAZ400

Good choice Perry, as Ian has said make sure you get the injector harness and the pressure sensor link cable. It is best to use the profec pressure sensor as this is more accurate than the emanage one, so you do not need the emanage one with the link cable.

If you need any help with the install shout as I am local.

Are you fitting the Turbo yourself ?

Scottie more power please, its on the way captain............   s:D :D s:D     s:D :D s:D     s:D :D s:D     s:D :D s:D     s:D :D s:D     s:D :D s:D     s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

well I was going to take it down to Japspeed, but you've got me thinking now   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:? :? s:?

DAZ400

Japspeed fitted my turbo I did not do it myself as did not have the facilities ramp lift is so more convienient. The Greddy part is easy to do yourself. However I do have a oil leak around the oil pipe for the turbo yet to be fixed. Ian Fitted his himself more gifted with spanners than me I am more electrical than big lumps of metal.

Anonymous

Hope you get a good price on fitting and i would segest TDI in maldon but i think it's too far away for you

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"It's not a TTE speciality with the cat being able to stay on

You have to add more fuel for a turbo so it can easily happen, and it's the extra heat aswell. It will happen with the TTE it's just no-one has it yet to show this.

They aint miracle workers at TTE, they just seem to be able to tell convincing stories! Well some seem to be convinced by them.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  Proof is what we need.

hmm I agree, but I also know that TTE are very very good at what they do and even if it does go pop, you have the warranty to fall back on.

Basicly it always comes back to the 1ZZ being a tiny bit naff, but my money is on TTE doing the best job.

markiii

so Perry, any insurance quotes yet?

SteveJ

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"It's not a TTE speciality with the cat being able to stay on

I would say that the testing that has been done by Toyota Japan has been somewhat more potentially destructive than any normal driver is going to achieve (even with multiple track-days thrown in)

When we met with TTE last year, Toyota had just completed one of their extended run tests (aprox 100 hours flat out on their test track) and there were no problems to report (except the rear light cluster melted and fell out  s:( :( s:(  - this has been fixed with a heatshield over the turbo and manifold)

It's not TTE who are ratifying the setup - it's Toyota Japan, and believe me, they are being extremely thorough in their testing as they will have to underwrite the warranty.

Anonymous

Go Pezza!  You can diy it, having seen (pictures of) your previous work on the Celi.

And keep us upto date with the progress.

Anonymous

cheers johny! you have more faith than me  s;-) ;-) s;-)

no insrance quotes yet as I'll be renewing next month so I'll start phoning around then

price for fitting?   £280 for tha basic kit + intercooler

DAZ400

My insurance quote was £800 with Adrian Flux.

Are you having an intercooler now then ?

aaronjb

Quote from: "DAZ400"My insurance quote was £800 with Adrian Flux.

Damn you old people  s;) ;) s;)  (I'm guessing you must be of a reasonable age?)

My quote was more than that with just the mods in my sig  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Ho hum  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

DAZ400

I am 34 and have 9 Years no claims in a quite area.

aaronjb

Quote from: "DAZ400"I am 34

See, I knew it!  s;) ;) s;) .. (You've 9 years on me. And a much faster car  s:) :) s:) )

Good luck with the turboing Perry.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

cheers bud!

havnt decided on the intercooler of the aquamist as yet, the original quote was for fitting  the intercooler as well tho.

ps  I'm 44 !  so the insurance company normally pays me !   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Quote from: "perry190"havnt decided on the intercooler of the aquamist as yet, the original quote was for fitting  the intercooler as well tho.

I'd be tempted to go for the IC myself, perhaps fit the WI as an added safety measure or to allow you to have extra boost (assuming you had an electronic boost controller and not just a preset actuator) with the water on.

The main reason being - if you just fit WI and then tune the car to a decent level, using the water as your only charge cooling method, what happens if you run out of water one day? Afterall, there aren't many places to fit a decent sized water reservoir on a '2..

Having said that, I've seen WI get excellent results on a lot of cars (including a Mk2 Turbo - although he did keep running out of water..). Still, I think for my own peace of mind I'd have the IC there as well - at least you have some charge cooling then, no matter what.

Of course, introducing an IC & piping into the intake tract will add a little lag, but bearing in mind the size of turbo and IC these setups run, I can't imagine it'd be much.

Quoteps  I'm 44 !  so the insurance company normally pays me !   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Long service payments?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I'm sure that by the time I'm in my 40's, I'll still be paying a grand a year for insurance! Sometimes I wonder if I just say the 'wrong' things to them when I call..

Aaron

Anonymous

Unless it's a water/air IC then i wouldn't bother.

Even a average size water bottle lasts about 2 fills of fuel.

If it runs out, then you put a light on the dash that tells you this so you just don't push the car. With the profec EBC he can wire the warning LED into it that tells it there's a problem and it will lower the boost back to a safe level. Hardly a risk is there with this in place?

Tags: