Corolla GTI v's MR2

Started by Anonymous, March 2, 2004, 13:54

Anonymous

Hi, This is my first post
I currently drive a 92 plate corolla GTI which I bought already modified with a K&N filter, Superchip and Scorpion exhaust. I will be getting rid soon and am thinking of getting a new 2. Can anybody tell me whether I will notice a difference in performance? I know the 2 will handle a lot better but what about acceleration and for overtaking? Has anyone driven both these cars. What sort of difference do my mods make as I've never driven a standard GTI?

Tem

Quote from: "ooch12"I currently drive a 92 plate corolla GTI which I bought already modified with a K&N filter, Superchip and Scorpion exhaust.

Can't really help you with N/A GTi, but a friend of mine has a '91 Corolla GTi LB with tuned 4A-GZE on it...it has about 190hp and massive torque. My '2 is faster on straights, barely, but enough to notice.

Needless to say, the Rolla is far behind after the first curve.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Thanks, Is your 2 standard? How would a one fair with a clio 182? (my other possible choice of car but heard they break down a lot)

GSB

A friend of mine used to have a Clio 172, and they were pretty neck and neck most of the time. The Clio cornered very well indeed, but compared to the MR2 it lacked a lot of feeling and it felt like I was driving while sitting on a bar stool. Not very sporting at all!
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Raced a few 172's down Southed   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   sorry guys

But i find that they have to been heavily moded in the engne bay like K&N and exhaust to just keep up so i would if you worried about the perofrmance is save your money once you have bought the 2 and go for a superchip as it will give loads more BHP for the £

Anonymous

how much is a superchip and are they easy to fit and remove for warranty sake   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Buster"But i find that they have to been heavily moded in the engne bay like K&N and exhaust to just keep up so i would if you worried about the perofrmance is save your money once you have bought the 2 and go for a superchip as it will give loads more BHP for the £

You've been reading too much Max Power Buster  s;) ;) s;)

I wouldn't call a K&N and exhaust heavily modded by any means..

And on a '2, I wouldn't bother with a superchip - £250 for 4bhp.. Unichip yeah, that'll get you some decent power (and you can remap it for your future mods).. £400ish I think?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "ooch12"Thanks, Is your 2 standard?

The engine and stuff were 100% stock.

I had removed the spare tyre and tools, so it weighted a bit less than stock...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: